iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Has any one had this happen to them.

Started by Mt406, May 07, 2016, 10:08:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mt406

Put my new mill up on Mon night with a full tank on gas.
I have been hauling logs the last few days .
Went to start the mill today and its locked up wont turn over.
It only has 25 hr on it. it would move back and forth by hand but would not turn over.
The oil smelled like gas. It was a Hyd lock up gas in pistions
Pulled the plugs and blew out the gas and changed the oil.

The only thing that I could think of, is with a full tank there not room for expansion and forces fuel into engine.
The cap was tight

Has any ony else had this happen what did you do to fix it.

Thanks   

sandsawmill14

the 8hp briggs on my hudson will do that if i forget to turn the gas off when i leave it sitting for a few days :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

wetdog

Had it happen to me. Fuel shutoff solenoid in the carb was stuck open. Since the  tank  was higher than the engine,  gas gravity flowed and filled  the cylinders.

YellowHammer

I've had it happen on my carbureted generator.  The float valve (needle valve) started leaking at some point and the flowed gas from the overhead fuel tank through the carb and into the pistons.  The gas seeps past the piston rings and into the crankcase and oil.  I solved the problem by installing a new carb kit, and also putting a master fuel shutoff valve on the fuel line.

Since yours is a pretty new engine, assuming it is carbureted, I would clean the needle valve and check the float position.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Dad2FourWI

I agree with the rest....

and make sure you ONLY use 100% gasoline.... NO alcohol....

.... save the alcohol for AFTER all the boards are cut!!!!  :D :D :D :D

We had so many troubles with ethanol-related gas I cannot even begin to express my feelings here.... the PREMIUM gas is worth the extra cost!

-Dad2FourWI
LT-40, LT-10, EG-50, Bobcat T750 CTL, Ford 1910 tractor, tree farmer

hopm

NOTHING BUT ETHANOL FREE!!!! Well worth the cost . Much cheaper than the carb work and aggravation!!

svart ole

Had a mower fill the crankcase with gas. Stuck solenoid on carb. I could just hear my Dad saying, "Did ya shut the gas off"! Everything back in those days had a sediment bulb on it and a valve. If not that a petcock. I have noticed more of the newer small engines have some type of manual fuel shutoff now. My guess there is that is cause this sort of thing is quite common. And lawyers being lawyers..........
My wife said I collect junk, I told her I am a amateur industrial archaeologist just trying to save valuable artifacts.

Chuck White

Quote from: Dad2FourWI on May 08, 2016, 12:32:44 AM
I agree with the rest....

and make sure you ONLY use 100% gasoline.... NO alcohol....

.... save the alcohol for AFTER all the boards are cut!!!!  :D :D :D :D

We had so many troubles with ethanol-related gas I cannot even begin to express my feelings here.... the PREMIUM gas is worth the extra cost!

-Dad2FourWI

Agreed, even though the 91octane ethanol-free is $.50 more per gallon.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ox

The other guys are spot on.  Ethanol free gasoline and a fuel shutoff valve are in order.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

kelLOGg

It happened to me on a tiller, 6HP TroyBilt. I drained the oil/gas in the crankcase, refilled with oil to the top of the dipstick hole and drained about 3 or 4 times to get all the gas out. Gas is a terrible lubricant so I wanted to make sure the oil dissolved it all. I disconnected the spark plug and pulled the rope starter several times between each oil "rinse". Refilled to the proper level and cranked until it started. That was a years ago and all is still well now.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Thank You Sponsors!