iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Carefull what you ask for.

Started by Mt406, May 07, 2016, 09:50:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mt406

this started last Sept. I had a fencing job in the Bitteroot valley north of here the last day there a big storm blew though knocking down a lot of trees.
On the way home I saw some on a ranch on the south end of the valley.
So I called and left a message if thay wanted to get cleaned up.
Never received a call back. So on with life. 3 weeks ago I get a call to see if I still want them.
Free wood so I said yes and loaded up and took a drive by. agreed on a time when I could start. ( next time I will get out and look at each tree)
There was a DF there I need to finsh a job and get paid. I never did the logistics of the whole thing.
OK there is 4 Mtn passes in 125 miles one way.
I get there and the trees are bigger than though.
there 1 DF 34" on butt, 1 spruce 26", 1 Engelmann fir 19", 6 Pondarosa Pine from 19"-48"
Ok I  am out gunned bad.
I have 3 loads home in 3 days 10-12 hr days. I am hoping to finish on Mon.
Total Bd ft  5300, about 35k lb.
The logs keep getting shorter the closer to the butt I get on the big ones. Biggest so far 3800 lb 16 footer I have some 2500 8 footers.
I should taken some pics befour starting.
some are to big to move with my Eq. but the owner is ok with me coming back in the fall with my swing blade and cutting in place.

The things I get my self in to. Pics to follow.

I will have some Qustions about sawing big sappy logs.

4x4American

Nice looking wood there.  If it wasn't worth it you wouldn't be doing it!
Boy, back in my day..

bill m

Nice looking logs. What make of a knuckleboom is on your truck?
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

kensfarm

I cut some big old pine w/ big sap pockets..  cut wide 1 1/2 boards.. stickered.. some sap drains to the next layer.  I didn't see any extra buildup on the blade cutting it.  I guess it would need kiln drying to harden.. I was going to use some for shelving in a wood shop I'm building.  It may look like syrup.. but it taste nasty. ;D

Mt406

the  boom is a Atlas  AK 3006
the truck is a 1986 I think the boom is about the same age.

Dad2FourWI

Hard work indeed!!!

Keep up the great work and it will reward you!.... and send us more pics of the end results!!! ;D ;D

-Dad2FourWI
LT-40, LT-10, EG-50, Bobcat T750 CTL, Ford 1910 tractor, tree farmer

Brucer

Those two logs in the centre of the last photo have some serious shake. Check the direction of the pitchy cracks at both ends (that's the shake). If it's at a different angle at both ends then you'll have trouble getting decent wood out of them. If the angle is the same at both ends (and if you're lucky) the shake will be confined to a band of wood in the centre. There could be some nice FOHC wood off the sides.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

bill m

I thought that loader looked familiar. I have an AK4007 on a 1989 S1700. It came off of a 1974 S1800. I removed the side controls and add moved them up top with a seat.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Mt406

Finished the job took 7 days to get 5 days done.
lost 2 days to snow.  couldn't  get over the pass on Mon. Tried I pulled over at chain up area and then get moveing again got turned around and went home.
Total wood for the job  7400 bf.
tried to load up some more photos I could only get one to load.
Last truck with my skid steer.

Going to use the Ponderosa pine for sideing on my new home. 

Magicman

Glad that everything (finally) went well.

You will have fun milling those big guys.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

OlJarhead

I use pine for just about anything I need -- Ponderosa that is.

Love it for paneling :) even use it for stairs and deck wood but for outdoor use it needs to be well treated with deck stain etc and won't last like Redwood or Cedar.
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

scully

This is the kind of night mare dream come true I hope for every day !
I bleed orange  .

GAmillworker

Thank the Lord for second chances

Thank You Sponsors!