iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing Exotic Shorts

Started by Fla._Deadheader, October 30, 2004, 05:33:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

Occasionally, someone asks how to saw short logs. We did just that today, and we took pics. Hope Y'all enjoy.

Started off with an "Official" Stack of Logs.

Look closely and you will see how we use a slab to keep the short logs from slipping between the stops. Once you take a few cuts, turn the log and sometimes saw right through the slab as you make boards.

Nother angle

Still another angle

Some of the wood. Rosewood, "Earwood", and no idee what the Red stuff is ???

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

music_boy

Good pics. I've read your other posts about doin that with the slab. Seeing it is much clearer. I have some shorts of that big Osage Orange tree to do and that looks like they way to do it,
Thanks
Rick
It's not how much YOU love, it is how much you ARE loved that matters. (Wizard of OZ)

Fla._Deadheader

Hi Rick. I haven't forgotten about the Cypress sound board. I'm hoping it dries real flat before I send it.
   First, it is ridiculed;

music_boy

I figured it was still drying. ;)
Thanks
Rick
It's not how much YOU love, it is how much you ARE loved that matters. (Wizard of OZ)

Texas Ranger

Fl-DH, that red one could be Brazilian Cherry.  SWAG. :P
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Fla._Deadheader

Might be. The bark was red and kinda light and had lots of layers, something like paper bark, or Melaleuca.  There was some Eucalyptus that we did not saw. The ends were split real bad and the checks would travel clear through the log. NOTHING was end coated ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

jpad_mi

Great pics. This is the first time I have seen an overall view of Homey (I believe that's what you call her). Great looking mill!

It appears that your clamp doesn't align with the short log. Did you do anything special for clamping or just chock the logs?
Jeff P. in Michigan

Fla._Deadheader

Contrary to popular opinion, clamping is not always necessary. Some of the logs were butt cuts, and had "Flats" where you could just let 'em sit on the bunks. They would not move. Others, we did use the clamp, but, it does not have to be centered on the log. As long as the log is secure enough that the blade won't cause it to roll any, saw the sucker.

BTW, that Rosewood is HARD. It would cut in spurts. Might try reducing the hook angle on the teeth when we go back. The blade would try to pull itself into the wood and bog down. ACtually, had to hold it back some. ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Norm

Neat pictures and some nice looking wood as well. Thanks for showing us Harold. :)

shopteacher

Harold,
 I change my shorts often enough that they don't have to be sawed. ;) As far as exotic I never really thought of them in that way. :D
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Buzz-sawyer

HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Fla._Deadheader

:o :o :o  Them must be Q'sawn exotic shorts  :o :o :o
   First, it is ridiculed;

Lenny_M

Thats how we saw shorts. The first face be carefull after that it`s not too bad.
 Sawed some cherry and apple in Down Maine. Went ok until I hit a cermaric insulator.  Them are tough to saw :D :D. Not much  for sound or the blade dive up or down.???? Thought the carrage stuck.  Pull out of the cut, move saw head up,run carriage down, No problem???? ck blade,  Teeth flatened off a little bit.    Split the block of apple open and there it was, The remains of someones fence from way back when there were cows in maine                 Lenny

Curlywoods

The Red wood looks like Bloodwood from South America to me.  Was it pretty hard and heavy wood?
All the best,

Michael Mastin
McKinney Hardwood Lumber
McKinney, TX

Fla._Deadheader

Yes Mike, it was hard and very heavy.

I wood imagine that some of it is from Cuba. Others from Central and South America.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Buzz-sawyer

Im curious, is it drift wood, else how could they import it (insects)???? ???
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Fla._Deadheader

Once upon a time, before the govt. moroons got all edicated, there WAS no such thing as insect control. That's why them logs is 3'-4' in dia. ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Jeff

Harold, had you mentioned somewhere how you came about those chunks? Interesting. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Fla._Deadheader

Hi Boss. Glad yer healin.

Somehow, this woodcarver guy got our phone number. He knows a couple of guys that work for Tree Services in the South Lauderdale-Miami area. That is where the chunks come from, and why they are short. He gets a call and goes down and brings them back.  There are also logs down around here that he has hauled to his shop.

Here's a couple of pics of his fish.

First, it is ridiculed;

EZ

Nice pictures FD, thanks for sharing. So them fish carvings, what kind are they, I think the one is a dolvin but not sure.

Seems like every sawing job we do there's always a short or two. One guy had all 8 foot logs and wanted all the shorts sawed also, they were 2 to 3 foot long. ::)
Last saturday we had some phone poles a 8 foot walnut and two 3 foot walnut. We ran the metal detector over them and the one was full of metal. ;D The guy split it and found barb wire, woven wire, insulator, nails and a peice of iron that we couldnt make out what it was. ::) He has another 40 inch dia walnut there with the rootball on it and wants it sawed with the root ball on it. He's been digging the dirt off of it and found 2 gold coins :o pretty cool huh. We ran the detector over it and theres still something else in their. :o ;D I'm going back over next weekend to saw it up, cant wait. ;D
EZ

Fla._Deadheader

Thought I wood add some figures for what we charge.

There is only 1 option for sawing shorts, other than us. That's using a chainsaw. The shorts are difficult to hold when sawing, and they are difficult to get the saw to bite good.

For those reasons, anyone wanting shorts sawed will have an idea what they are up against.

We charge $65.00 per hour. That's from the time we get on site, until we are done sawing. Breaking down the mill for travel, we don't charge. We charge $25.00 to show up, and someone (one of us, or the customer) will run the detector. The customer knows about the $25.00 fee for hitting metal, IF we mess up the blade. Them Monkeys don't even know they are sawing nails.  ;D

We gave the customer a bill for $385.50, and he added in $35.00 as a tip. He was very happy with the job. We were on site from 8 AM till 2:30 PM. Worked on concrete in his parking lot.

The fish are a Dolphin and a Peacock Bass, maybe. They have that "bump" behind the head. They are a native of South America. They are approx. 36" long.

He drives around with his trailer hooked onto the truck, and sells while getting gas, grabbing a burger, or stopped at a light. He has folks follow him, blowing the horn to pull over. Does real nice work. ;D

We turned a job of sawing power poles. I used to climb them things, and WILL NOT stick my saw into them. Maybe WRC though. ;) ;D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

DonE911

I've seen that red stuff before FDH....  does it have 2 barks? ( kinda hard to x-plane, but a thin inner bark and a heavy outer bark)  

My wife used to care for an old cuban lady and she had some in the yard she planted 30 years ago when she came from cuba ( she is well off financially I assume she brought them with her )  I took one down they fell on her peacock coop....  extreemly hard on the chainsaw and heavy as he!!....  had to cut from both sides with a 16 inch bar

this was several years ago, I can't remember what she called the tree....

Whats wrong with cuttn power poles?? I have about 10 free ones the local utility gave me when they widened a roadway... got some green ones and some of those newer blonde colored ones... no creosoat ( however you spell it )

Fla._Deadheader

After ya cut 'em, Don, we will talk.  ;D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

DonE911

well, going to GA to pick up my M7 this comming weekend I'll let ya know when I get around to cutting something...  don't really need the utility poles for anything right now so I don't think I'll be cuting them.

FDH... got any 2x10 oak??  My brother has welded up a trl for some guys who wont consider any decking other than 2x10 oak....   when they couldn't get it they just bought a new trailer :o    don't know if they still want it or not...  this was about a week and a half ago...   they needed 10 70inch planks.  

Fla._Deadheader

We have not been to the camp in almost 3 weeks. Still have that 20,000 ft of Oak to log and saw, IF we ever go back up.

Ed and I have been talking about getting into something easier. He is doing most of the hard labor, and I can't let him continue.

We MAY sell the boat and all the equipment. MIGHT sell "Homey" ???  If anyone wants underwater logging equipment, or a fully hydraulic mill, let me know. Might just make a deal. Not sure yet.  ::) ::)  Had a guy offer us a LOT of "huge" SYP trees, for free.  ::) ::)  Just don't have the ambition. Really don't care. ??? :-/ :-/
   First, it is ridiculed;

Thank You Sponsors!