iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Choosing a Chainsaw

Started by ShaneTweedz, May 07, 2016, 12:10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShaneTweedz

I am deciding between the MS250 and the MS271. I will be cutting small to medium trees and yard cleanup. What are the Advantages/Disadvantages for each? Also I am big on safety and would the bigger saw be "less safe"? Is there any difference between the saws because one is Homeowner and one is Farm/Ranch? All the best, Shane

sawguy21

Welcome aboard. If you read through the Chainsaw board you will find lots of discussion on which is best. In the end, you need to pick each up and decide which one you are most comfortable with.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

HolmenTree

I was impressed with the son in laws little Stihl MS211 capabilities cleaning up a 90 ft X 60 ft northwest poplar I felled for him and my daughter recently.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

HolmenTree

Little MS211 cut up alot of limbs

hopm

I have an MS 250 that I really like a lot. It is a handy saw and seems to be out of 7 saws in the box, it is the one I seem to always grab first......

Texas-Jim

I also have a ms 250, the ms 271 is a good saw but its to heavy for horse power it gives,,in my opinion. Advice I always give customers in shop, buy as big of a saw as you need. But dont buy more than you need. If you only need a trim or light duty saw dont go toting a big heavy saw. If you have to cut a 3 foot across tree once every two years that ms 250 can do it, its just slow.
What we do in life echoes through eternity.

Cedar Eater

I moved from an O17 to an MS250 when I started needing to cut around 25 face cords of firewood per year and the O17 motor failed. I'm glad that I stepped up, but I'm also glad that I didn't go larger. The MS 250 is more than up to the jobs you describe. A smaller, lighter, more maneuverable saw with a shorter bar is safer. As you get older, the lower weight translates into a much longer time before fatigue sets in. With the MS 250, you have the option of dropping down to picco chain and drive sprocket and shorter bars. You can also step up one bar to 18" with either the picco or the standard .325 chain. I've had it for 3 years and I just added milling of a good sized oak log to the list of things I've done with it. If it didn't last another day, I would buy another one just like it.
Cedar Eater

motohed

I'm am going to throw something out there , you should get someone to show you how to run a saw safely ,before you buy one , there are many pressure points on feld logs ,etc that can get you hurt , this is where your safety starts . the size of the saw in my opion , does'nt matter . It's the learning curve that will make the sawing safe . Smaller or bigger , does not in itself , make a saw safe .

49er

Holmentree, is that you on the pole and how did ya miss the tri-plex.
Husqvarna EC390 365xt
Jonsered 2188 2165 2260 2253 70e
Redmax GZ4000

Fokke

@HolmenTree: MS211 is a sharp little thing. My neighbor comes to me to sharpen the chain on his 211 and I've tried it some times. Love it, it's light and fast and maybe the best homeowner's saw for smaller woods.

HolmenTree

Quote from: 49er on May 08, 2016, 10:01:37 AM
That's a linesmen friend of mine 49er.  He lowered the service line to the house so I could fell the tree. He juslt finished reconnecting it in the picture.
I didn't have alot of room to fell it between the house and power lines.
Tree was 60 feet wide and I only had 72 feet of space between the house and lines.

I'll tell you my trick, the gunsighting lines on the saw (395XP -28") aren't accurate enough. So after making the face cut notch I used a 4 ft drywall square to dial in the gunsighting to lay. I set a chain oil jug on the ground at the end of the lay to aim to. Lot's  of concentration and a little experience earned confidence helps too.
Tree laid to rest 2 feet from the house and 10 feet from the lines.
I also installed a taunt 90° to lay guyline rope also as it was a little limb heavy on the house side.

Ada Shaker

If it hangs to the left, your likely to be a Husqvarna man.
If it hangs to the right, your likely to be a Stihl man.
Anything else is an uncomfortable compromise.
                             AND
Walking with one foot on either side of a barbed wire fence can become extremely uncomfortable at times.

Ada Shaker

Hahahaha, with thinking similar. Thought he knocked the power out.... ::)
                             AND
Walking with one foot on either side of a barbed wire fence can become extremely uncomfortable at times.

Ada Shaker

Quote from: ShaneTweedz on May 07, 2016, 12:10:30 PM
I am deciding between the MS250 and the MS271. I will be cutting small to medium trees and yard cleanup. What are the Advantages/Disadvantages for each? Also I am big on safety and would the bigger saw be "less safe"? Is there any difference between the saws because one is Homeowner and one is Farm/Ranch? All the best, Shane

Hi ShaneTweedz

Either saw are quite good, I don't know why in the states they have the 250 as a home saw, I think its regarded as a land saw here in Aus. We don't even have a 271 here but the farm bosses are we'll regarded. I suppose you have to weigh up which will be most beneficial to you. At 1/2 a kilo less weight the 250 may be a better option with the 3/8P chain, I've also noticed the 251 has the 0.325 chain and it may well be adapted to suit, (check with the dealer). With a Pico setup you should be able to handle smaller limbs better. Also if you intend on swinging one of these eight hrs a day the half a kilo less weight may be a god send. On the other hand, if your a young bloke and as fit as a mallee bull, weight may not be an issue and you may be happy with a 0.325 chain. As far as safety goes, it really is more an operator issue rather than a chainsaw issue, however some chains provide less kickback than others and operator fatigue also factors into the equation along with knowing how to use a saw and so forth. Whichever saw you decide on, I hope you enjoy using it.
                             AND

HolmenTree

Quote from: Ada Shaker on May 10, 2016, 03:42:15 AM

Hahahaha, with thinking similar. Thought he knocked the power out.... ::)
I don't think the linesmen would dare attempt to work on a 12,000 volt powerline
on climbing spurs, Hahahaha. :)

HolmenTree

Got my definition of a tri plex wrong.
The tri plex is the service line from the pole to the house, which the linesmen disconnected and re connected.

mad murdock

still some pretty good figuring on the fallers part there HT!  Nice job 8)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

motohed

I just happen to know a crazy guy , that does work on the 12,000 volt lines on spurs . I tell him he's on a limited time bases . It's unbelieveable what I've seen him do , it's definately not for the faint of heart , he just flat out scares me !!!!

Ada Shaker

Quote from: motohed on May 10, 2016, 08:01:02 PM
I just happen to know a crazy guy , that does work on the 12,000 volt lines on spurs . I tell him he's on a limited time bases . It's unbelieveable what I've seen him do , it's definately not for the faint of heart , he just flat out scares me !!!!

If his got spurs on a timber pole, what diferance does it make whether his in a bucket or not?. As long as its not raining and the timber pole is dry he's pretty much ok. Plus its only 12KV on the very top of the pole usualy. Generally you guys have 120v or 240v going to your homes, its not that bad, I've been zapped that many times I hardly feel it anymore, once on 600 dc nominal and many times on 240 ac, lost count. My brains a little fried but im still kicking.
                             AND

Thank You Sponsors!