iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need Practice!! HA HA

Started by Kauff44, May 07, 2016, 08:03:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kauff44

Finally fired up my bellsaw for the first time ever!!! All excited, I ran my first log and well let's just say it's hard to use rough sawed 3/4" boards. Ha ha ha. Man I have to remember that 1/4" saw blade. This is definitely going to take some practice. Happy to say that every thing seems to be working well just need to do a little work on the sawyer!! Ha ha. Practicing on a hand full of balsam log before I start on my ash logs I'm using for flooring. Want to make sure I got a handle on it so I don't ruin a good piece of wood. It's amazing to see a knotted rough log turn into a beautiful piece of straight lumber. Just though I'd share a laugh. Happy sawing, Be safe, and God bless!!
Thanks, God Bless

Chuck White

Just a little fine tuning with the sawyer and it'll be great!

Congratulations and happy sawing!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Bricklayer51

Went past your place last week saw some logs in two places you got a nice place there.

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Dad2FourWI

You are right across the water from us.....

We are finally having some success and a LOT of that is due to the people in this forum!!!!!! A great bunch of experienced sawyers!!!

Share your successes (and failures...)!!!!!

Have fun opening up each log!,
-Dad2FourWI
LT-40, LT-10, EG-50, Bobcat T750 CTL, Ford 1910 tractor, tree farmer

svart ole

Ah, the tell tail signs of a sawmill addict in the making. And he is using one of those evil round saws! Next thing you know it will be edgers and planers and jointers, Oh my!

Keep at it. It wont take long before you can look at the rule on the setworks and know what you have to pull. You will get real good about thinking in fractions of a inch. All the belsaw mills I have seen ever had a very fancy setworks so there was never a mechanical stop on the setworks so you could just "pull a inch" (1 1/8" + saw kerf).

There has been many Mbf of lumber sawed on those little belsaw mills over the years. Have fun and just remember sawmills are inherently dangerous and the most effective safety equipment you have is in your head. Think before you act.
My wife said I collect junk, I told her I am a amateur industrial archaeologist just trying to save valuable artifacts.

Kauff44

OK some people post the picture right on there reply. all i can do is the path. am i doing something wrong?
Thanks, God Bless

Ianab

Quote from: Kauff44 on May 10, 2016, 06:18:48 PM
OK some people post the picture right on there reply. all i can do is the path. am i doing something wrong?

You are 90% there

Go to your gallery and find the picture you want to use.

Then on the page below it will be the text "To use the above photo in a Forestry Forum post" and a box with this in it.
[img]https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/42299/Mill1.jpg[/img]

Copy that code into your post, and you get
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

pineywoods

copy and paste can be a bit clumsy on some phones. Actually, you don't have to. Keep scrolling down under the pic and you will find a button that says, "click here to insert in a post" Click on it and the link to the pic is magicly inserted in your post...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Magicman

But the actual picture is not visible in the post, only the code.  Click Preview and scroll up to see how your reply will actually look.  You can now scroll back down and make any changes that you want to the then click Post.  The Modify button is there so that you can still make corrections after the post is made.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ianab

Quote from: pineywoods on May 10, 2016, 08:09:41 PM
copy and paste can be a bit clumsy on some phones. Actually, you don't have to. Keep scrolling down under the pic and you will find a button that says, "click here to insert in a post" Click on it and the link to the pic is magicly inserted in your post...

True, but we have found that doesn't work for every browser / OS / security settings combination. If it works on your machine, great. The copy and paste will work on ANY machine, although I agree it's fiddly on a phone.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Kauff44

Well hope this worked. this is my brother on the Mill. im on the back side of him trying to explain how the scale works. its like the Blind leading the Blind i guess HA HA. Getting much better at it now still a very long ways to go, but at least im getting straight 2" and 1" boards now.  8)
Thanks, God Bless

Kauff44

Here are a few more pics

Some of boards i've cut so far

Skid way loaded

[img]https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/42299/5.jpg?easyrotate_cache=1463071111[/im
Lawn mower runs the blower
Thanks, God Bless

Weekend_Sawyer

Glad you got it!

Nice mill setup. Thanks for sharing.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

svart ole

Nice clean setup. That cement slab is going to make clean up nice. Now all you need is a roof for the rainy days and the short winters you get down south.  ;D The one thing that made me twitch a bit was the power plant sitting on the blocking. First thought was I hope it is bolted to the blocking and the second was that block under the front of the engine sitting on the ground looks a bit too tippy for me. I would think two timbers turned 90 degrees would be more stable. Wet weather and in the spring things get soft.

Looks to me like you are doing well. Take your time learning the feel of things and the speed will pick up. If anyone gives you a hard time about saw kerf, just smile and remember more good lumber at days end is worth more than a few low grade boards you hope you may get with less kerf.  ;)
My wife said I collect junk, I told her I am a amateur industrial archaeologist just trying to save valuable artifacts.

Thank You Sponsors!