iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wet saw

Started by JW IN VA, May 06, 2016, 10:20:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JW IN VA

Will an 026 that has been under water for a month :-[Is it  hurt or is it time to start looking for a new saw? Have not tried to start it .I want it to dry out and check filter first

motohed

If its been totally submerged you will probly be able to save it if it has'nt ingested sand or other dirt . Pull the muffler and carb , and plug ,empty all the water , gently use compressed air to to dry the saw as much as you can . Then use either Dtesel fuel or 2 stroke mix to flush the base and cylinder a few time . Then lube the base and top end with strait 2 cycle oil. Blow as much out with the compessor between the rinsing process . . Disasemble the carb , check for dirt , if you find any you need to dis asemble the saw . I should say at this point , if you find any dirt in the engine it will need to be disasembled . Ok . back to the carb blow it out lightly with air then aply WD-40 it will get rid of any water . You will have to drain the fuel tank and make sure it's dry as well as the oil tank . It may take a couple spark plugs to get it going or burn the oplug off with a torch . Now pray a little if thats what you do LOL . It may also work on a saw that has been patially submerged , but I would be a little more carful and look for rust . I can say a rebuild would be cheaper than a seized saw at this point if the the compression was good , Still 200 to 300 depending on the saw but much less than an oem cylinder and piston plus the other parts incurd in a rebuild .

motohed

Don't forget a new fuel filter before starting !!!!!

JW IN VA

This water was clean. Rainwater actually.Sorry. I wasn't complete with the story

motohed

Get to work on it as soon as posible , now that it's out of the water all kind of ocsidation will set in . Good luck it should be fine .

starmac

If it was totally submerged, you should be able to save it, if you get on it as soon as you take it out of the water, just a day or two out of the water will make a huge difference.
I once bought a pickup that was in 30 feet of clean water for 7 days, as soon as we pulled it out I put it in the shop and drained all water, removed all wheel bearings and filled everything (motor and tranny) till it overflowed with diesel. A few things were not saved, never could dry the seat out, and the circuit board in the dash didn't last long after that, but drove the pickup for several years.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

luvmexfood

Winter before last I left my saw in the rear of pickup on its side with the rope up covered by a tarp. Sort of forgot about it and when I went back out two weeks later, after constant rain and snow, I found it.

Went to the woods to work with the temp about 12 and tried to start. Rope would not pull. Figured it was ruined but set it in cab of truck and cranked truck. After a few minutes it started right up.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Thank You Sponsors!