iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

clutch gave out on hm126.....

Started by JamieT, May 05, 2016, 10:11:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamieT

217 hours on the motor and clutch, half way thru a 20 inch pine log i hear a small pop noise. continued on thru the log, let off the throttle and quickly noticed my blade is still spinning. I knew right away the clutch had gone out. i took the belt off, pulled the clutch and sure enough the 3 shoes are wore slap out and one of the springs are broken. i have 217 hours on this little mill so im ok with it, normal wear and tear. This little mill has chewed thru everything ive asked it to. So the clutch looks to be rebuild able, All i need is the 3 shoes, and 3 springs. Call woodland to ask what brand the clutch is so i can order parts. They tell me that they manufacture the clutch in house, i say great! i need to order the shoes and springs. They inform me that they cant sell me the parts, has to be the hole assembly, i asked why and couldnt get a straight answer. If you build the clutches, why cant you sell me the parts i need? Ruffled my feathers a little bit and put a bad taste in my mouth. they want 80$ plus 20$ for shipping. i politely tell them no thanks, ill order elsewhere. Now, by no means im i bashing woodland, they have been very good to me, make a very well built little mill, but i still cant figure out how you can manufacture parts, but not sell them. new clutch shoes and springs should arrive today for a total of 22$ with free shipping and ill be back at it!! 
Learned just about everything I know, from the greatest man ive ever known. My father! Everything else was self taught thru the school of HARD KNOCKS ;-)

Verticaltrx

When they say they make the clutches 'in house', I take that to mean in their factory in China (not bashing, that's just where they are made). I imagine they only sell the whole clutch because that is what they figure the most demand will be for, trying to keep their inventory more streamlined. I agree though, I like to rebuild anything I can instead of replacing it.
Wood-Mizer LT15G19

goose63

Quote from: Verticaltrx on May 05, 2016, 11:02:57 AM
When they say they make the clutches 'in house', I take that to mean in their factory in China (not bashing, that's just where they are made). I imagine they only sell the whole clutch because that is what they figure the most demand will be for, trying to keep their inventory more streamlined. I agree though, I like to rebuild anything I can instead of replacing it.

Time's 2  Jamie T just in case i need the parts where did you get them if i may ask
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

JamieT

from mfg. took about 30 mins explaining to girl on the phone that all i needed where pads and springs. they sell hilliard heavy duty clutches for 69$. and i agree, but the guy i spoke to specifically said they manufacture the clutch. i take that to mean they build them. Woodland has always been good to me, but that burned me up.
Learned just about everything I know, from the greatest man ive ever known. My father! Everything else was self taught thru the school of HARD KNOCKS ;-)

NeilB

Hi JamieT,

We highly recommend changing the entire clutch assembly vs changing just some of the components in general--especially when you start to get higher hours on the clutch. It's not always easy to tell if the outer housing is worn, has been overheated or scored, and needs replacing as well. This is the main reason we suggest replacing the entire clutch. Sorry if that wasn't clear when you called in and talked to us.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to call us or send us an email any time.
Neil B
Woodland Mills

Thank You Sponsors!