iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Power feed speed adjustment on LT40 not functioning

Started by woodworker9, May 05, 2016, 09:03:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodworker9

The mill is a 2003 LT40 hydraulic with only 199 hours on it.  I've owned it for  a year and a half, and just recently resolved "no start" issues to get the 25 hp kohler motor running consistently, but that is a separate issue.

Now that I'm able to cut logs, my power feed works, but I cannot adjust the speed to slow it down.  I turn the adjuster, but nothing happens, so I cannot use it, because it is going top speed, which causes the blade to dive and the motor to cut out?

Any help is appreciated here.  Do I need to just replace that part on the Acuset 1 board, or is it possibly something else.  I don't want to just start replacing parts.

Thanks or any help.
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

pineywoods

Accuset has nothing to do with power feed, affects head up and down only. Pull the belt off the feed motor so you can work on the problem without getting run over. Take the cover plate off the right side of the console and peek inside. Look for a black plastic module about 1X1X2 with 2 led lights on it. One led is labeled "in" the other "out". Key, on, vary the speed control knob. The in and out light should vary in brightness. If not, either the module is kaput or possible the speed control pot is open...If ok, the only other option is the mosfet board bolted to the back plate of the control box, or possibly some mouse chewed wires somewhere.  Have a test light or voltmeter handy and call wm tech support. Them guys are wizards at this sort of problem...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

OneWithWood

Before doing anything, consult your owners manual troubleshooting guide and follow the testing procedure.  If you can't get the issue resolved that way do call the WM techs.  They will walk you through the process.  It is something the WM techs deal with on a routine basis.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

DaveinNH

There appears to be a set screw in the thickest part of the plastic knob. If that came loose you may be just spinning the knob and not the shaft to the pot. If it is loose the shaft most likely has a flat spot or indent the set screw needs to contact when tightened.
Wood-Mizer LT40HD26     Polaris 6x6 Big Boss
Ariens 34 Ton Splitter       Stihl 460, 261, 70

sparks

The screw only the plastic part is to set current limit of the module. If you look at the control module you will see a small blue wire that goes over to the mosfet and plugs on to a small terminal. Remove that wire. If it keeps going full speed replace the mosfet. If it stops going full speed replace the Control Module. Here is a document on how to test the PF components.  Hope this helps
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

woodworker9

Thanks everybody for helping me out on this.  I hope to get a chance to troubleshoot tomorrow and I'll report back my findings. 

Jeff
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

Thank You Sponsors!