iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber frame insulation options?

Started by Aeneas61, May 05, 2016, 06:48:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aeneas61

Small timber frame cabin project (16X20) just wanted experiences you may have had insulating a timber frame.

I want to insulate the walls, floor and roof. What has worked well for all of you?

I have heard of an external (larsen) wall truss, anyone used this method and can give detailed explanation of what they did?

Thanks
Josh

Glen Sutton

I'm probably going to use this prefab system, or a site-built version of the same construction.
They've given me a budget quote of $5 Cdn sq foot.
I like the spray urethane idea and ability to eliminate the thermal bridging.
Timber frame goes up first, then those walls rest on the concrete and sill, and secured to the frame with long screws.
http://www.revolutionconcept.ca/en/

Brad_bb

On top of roof rafters or pulins - 3/4" T&G, Titanium UDL roof paper(not actually paper), 2x4  horizontal boards every 2 ft up the roof, this serves as an electrical chase to run all the conduit for lighting fixtures hung from ceiling and other wiring that is conveniently run over the roof, then after conduit and boxes add vertical 2x4's to create 2'x2' grid to support sips, then install the sips.  Jumbo panels (8'x24') make the job go really fast.  The crew I'm using to do that has made their own steel brackets to attach to the sips to place them and lift them with a 60' boom forklift.  Titanium UDL 50 paper on top of the sips, then 1x4 horizontal and 1x4 vertical grid (total 1.5") as a grid for cold roof and creates support for standing seam sheetmetal roof.  Pine base with green white oak facia on ends of roof.  A special sheetmetal piece is made to vent the eaves for the aforementioned cold roof.   For the walls, 2x6 stud walls with 1/2 plywood exterior sheathing(I don't like OSB).  Electrical conduit run.  then, 1.5"-2" closed cell spray foam to create moisture barrier and some insulation, then fill the rest of the cavity with spray in open cell foam.  Open cell has lower R value, but can easily trim over expansion.  Closed cell is really hard and would not be easily trimmed.

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!