iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

vegetable oil for bar oil ???

Started by sandsawmill14, May 04, 2016, 07:07:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandsawmill14

i seen it recommended in another thread and was wondering if anyone was using it and how well it works ???
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

DeerMeadowFarm

I use canola oil in my saws. Cheaper and works good.

Walt

Some smoker purists don't want bar oil flavoring on there ribs. If using split whole wood for heat and flavor using vegetable oil in the saw  will leave out the petroleum flavoring possibility, so I've been told. We smoke a lot of meat here, I use a chainsaw for the obvious reasons and resize my wood on a bandsaw. But,  I use Stihl bar oil on my pancakes.   :D
MS461R, MS290, MS170, Homelite XL, Dirty Hand Tools 27T splitter, Kubota B20 FEL&BH, Timberjack Woodchuck, US Stove Co. 2421 for heat. Too many Wheel Horse Garden Tractors..

sawguy21

I have had customers use it cutting large game and ice blocks where there is already moisture to help cooling but think it might be a poor substitute in wood. I can't see veg oil making it to the underside of the bar where it is needed.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

sandsawmill14

thats what i was wondering im not concerned with using bar oil i just remembered reading that and got to thinking that the veg oil is about 1/2 price of the stihl bar oil but i wondered how good it would lube the bar/chain :)

DeerMeadowFarm

Works fine for me. Mix it 50/50 with bar oil to start if you're skeptical

John Mc

Are you asking about straight vegetable oil, or the veggie-based bar oil that Stihl (and others) sell?

I've used Stihl and other brands of veggie-based bar & chain oil with very good results. It actually seems to lubricate better than their regular B&C oil. I started using it because it's required on one of the properties where I cut (by the decision of the group of owners - of which I am one). Once I started using it, it was simpler to just use it all the time rather than keep track of what is in my saws, and change when needed.

It isn't cheap, but it works well. The only problem I've had was with a brand that is no longer available around here. If you left it in your saw, it would eventually stiffen up on the chain, making things hard to move until it ran a bit and got fresh stuff worked into the chain. I've never had that problem in the past 5 years or so. Apparently the newer stuff must have some sort of additive to prevent that from happening.

I've not used straight veggie oil, but a friend has. He does say he's occasionally experienced it stiffening up on the chain (not problem with what is in the tank). If he knows it won't be used for a while, he just runs some petro-oil through it before storing it.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: John Mc on May 04, 2016, 01:29:52 PM
If he knows it won;t be used for a while, he just runs some petro-oil through it before storing it.
I do the same thing with my 372XP, or at least I have been so far because I've heard that this will happen and the 372 just doesn't get used as much as my 346XP that rides in the scabbard on the winch.

thecfarm

I wonder if you could make a heat box for the saw. Just a light bulb in an enclosed box big enough for a chainsaw. That would keep the saw warm and I would think the veggie oil warm too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

John Mc

What would warming the veggie oil do?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

HolmenTree

My saws I run everyday day I use straight canola oil. In the ones that sit the most I keep regular petroleum bar oil in them. Reason I do it is strictly for health reasons as I don't want to breathe in carcinogens in petroleum bar oil mist when it's airborne.
Canola lubricancy is very good , it actually has a higher smoke threshold then petroleum oil. Don't need tacktifier as it doesn't stick after the b/c heats up anyway.
Like others said run petroleum bar oil through it before storage to prevent any plaque buildup issues.
If you only use a jug of oil a year you're best to spend your money on the Stihl Bio Plus bar oil. It's been on the market for as long as I can remember.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

thecfarm

I've not used straight veggie oil, but a friend has. He does say he's occasionally experienced it stiffening up on the chain (not problem with what is in the tank). If he knows it won't be used for a while, he just runs some petro-oil through it before storing it.

Just thought with it stiffening up on the chain some heat "might" make it soften up and flow better. Just an idea.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

HolmenTree

Chains that have been hanging on a nail for a few years after I run them with canola  they seize right up. But  with a spray of WD40 it loosens up nicely.

John Mc

Quote from: thecfarm on May 04, 2016, 05:47:35 PM

Just thought with it stiffening up on the chain some heat "might" make it soften up and flow better. Just an idea.

I think it's more that the veggie oil dried out and hardened up than a temperature thing. (I see the same thing on the griddle I use for my pancakes. I just can't get that hardened on veggie oil off it. Hmmm... I haven't tried spraying it with WD-40)

Al_Smith

Use peanut oil instead of canola for cooking.I don't think you'd want to use it bar oil,kinda costly .

Not trying to start a ruckus. I'm not all that green minded and no more oil than I use it's just the stuff they drill for,not plant extracts .
Besides that I've worked in an industrial environment for so long around all kinds of oils .I don't think a tad bit more is going to kill me off any sooner .

Much ado about a little bit of petrolium oil on the ground from chainsaws .It's not like the wreck of the Exon Valdez.It will degrade .Now I can see bio oil around lakes and streams but that's different than in the woods .

All that said use what you want,I'm going to. :)

HolmenTree

Well both Stihl and Husqvarna owners manuals both warn about serious health issues breathing in bar oil vapor while running a saw.
So it must hang in the air for a while while you're cutting not just going straight to the ground.

Must be something legit about the hazard if both companies are covering their butts with the warning.

sandsawmill14

for me this isnt a matter of going green or not or health (as i didnt know it was harmful until i read HolmenTree post :o ) it was strictly about the money as i can get veg oil for about 6 bucks a gallon that is a little more than half what bar oil cost me even buying it by the case ($1 gallon discount). i am all for going green when it makes sense but alot of time it just dont :-\  and when you look into alot of this epa and go green stuff it takes more energy to produce it than the end user would have used to begin with. 
Now back to the oil ;D i think i will switch and try it when i use the last of this bar oil i have now :) whats the worst that could happen burn up a bar ??? :D :D :D

coxy

Quote from: HolmenTree on May 04, 2016, 10:04:32 PM
Well both Stihl and Husqvarna owners manuals both warn about serious health issues breathing in bar oil vapor while running a saw.
So it must hang in the air for a while while you're cutting not just going straight to the ground.

Must be something legit about the hazard if both companies are covering their butts with the warning.
they must have stocks in veggie oil co  :) :)

sandsawmill14

:D :D :D :D :D it is possible

teakwood

I have been using soya oil for about 3 years now in my three 260s in the plantations. it works perfect and i protect my land (grounds). There is absolutely no additional wear on the chains or bars! I use soya because that is the cheapest veggie oil around here. In Europe they use rape oil, i dont know if that is the same as canola oil.
In Costa Rica there is no real baroil, all the dealers just sell cheap engineoil and some people put used engine oil in their saws.  smiley_embarrased huh-smiley huh-smiley
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

John Mc

Yes, rapeseed oil is the same as canola oil.

Ianab

Quote from: John Mc on May 06, 2016, 09:00:04 AM
Yes, rapeseed oil is the same as canola oil.

Well technically Canola oil can come from several species of Brassica, while Rape Seed is specifically Brassica napus. So Rape seed oil is a type of Canola oil,

But for the purposes of oiling a chain, yes its the same thing.  :)
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

49er

I have never tried veggie oil or canola oil as bar oil, however, I think that is a better purpose for it than as a food. Have ya ever tried to get splattered veggie oil off a range hood? Next to impossible. I hear they use Benzine to separate the oil from the veggie and Benzine is bad stuff.
  I think I'll give some a try in my saw.
Husqvarna EC390 365xt
Jonsered 2188 2165 2260 2253 70e
Redmax GZ4000

joe_indi

I use veg oil but with 10% SAE240 oil and 5% diesel mixed in. The gear oil gives the veg oil some anti-fling properties and the diesel give it some cleaning properties.

HolmenTree

Canola is a Canadian invention, invented right here in Manitoba in the early 1970's.
Canola means CANadian Oil Low Acid.

Thank You Sponsors!