iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thomas Bandmills Edger

Started by 4x4American, May 03, 2016, 10:16:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4x4American

Any of you have a Thomas Bandmills Edger?  From what I can see they look pretty decent.  I'm doing my hw on an edger, gonna have to get one before I croak.  The amount of time wasted and yield lost edging on the mill is buggin me!
Boy, back in my day..

thecfarm

I have no idea how far away you are from VT,but Thomas will be there.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,88861.0.html

I have thier sawmill,a very simple design. I would suspect the same from the edger too.
I have seen it at the Bangor show,I would think it would be in Vt too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Percy

Quote from: 4x4American on May 03, 2016, 10:16:04 PM
Any of you have a Thomas Bandmills Edger?  From what I can see they look pretty decent.  I'm doing my hw on an edger, gonna have to get one before I croak.  The amount of time wasted and yield lost edging on the mill is buggin me!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

4x4American

I called their rep on the other day he said its the first year they're not gonna go :(

Anyone near me have a thomas, baker, wm, cooks, etc edger I can check out?

Percy don't laugh, that could be any day at my age!  I've already got enough grey hairs to save miami..
Boy, back in my day..

WV Sawmiller

4X4,

Then you better update your profile because it shows you as an ancient 24 y/o on my screen. I've got socks older than that!

Besides, why don't you tell us how you really feel about edging your lumber.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

4x4American

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on May 04, 2016, 04:17:11 PM
4X4,

Then you better update your profile because it shows you as an ancient 24 y/o on my screen. I've got socks older than that!

Besides, why don't you tell us how you really feel about edging your lumber.

24 years is a long time, try holding your breath for that long!!  Compared to a caveman I'm old as the hills!
If I wrote how I really felt about edging lumber on my mill I would be sent to the woodshed!
Boy, back in my day..

thecfarm

No Thomas in VT!!! :o  I guess I might just as well stay in Maine now and not go.  :D I have tlked to Jon about that show and he likes the one in Maine much better,as far as sales go.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

47sawdust

It must be time for a road trip to Mississippi.You will have no regrets buying an edger.I'm just a slow poke sawyer but within 6 months of buying my first mill I bought a used WM twin blade edger.I have never regretted the purchase.Even working alone it is better than edging on the mill.I tip my hat to those who edge on the mill,but it just wasn't for me.It is also great to have a 25 hp table saw for those custom projects and the scale is adjustable in ΒΌ'' increments.
Good luck to you.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Dave Shepard

I've got the WM ED26/. I don't think it would take you too long to get down here.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Cazzhrdwd

I'm going with Cooks. I handle a lot of wide boards, 18-20" wide. Cooks has a very nice edger that is right at 10,000.

I love my Woodmizer but only 15" wide is just not going to work. Can't believe that's as wide as they go.
96 Woodmizer LT40Super  Woodmizer 5 head moulder

4x4American

Quote from: Dave Shepard on May 04, 2016, 06:51:34 PM
I've got the WM ED26/. I don't think it would take you too long to get down here.

Ahh sweet, I forgot you had an edger!  Maybe I'll stop sometime!    smiley_wavy smiley_wavy smiley_wavy smiley_wavy smiley_wavy smiley_wavy
Boy, back in my day..

Dave Shepard

"We'll leave the light on for you".  :D Are you old enough to remember those Motel 6 commercials? Heck, maybe they are still doing them, I just haven't had TV since 1989. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

4x4American

Boy I lost my hearing and vision long before those commercials ever come on the tube. lol

In all honestness I don't watch tv either all I get is the internet.  There's nothing good on so what's the use to pay $ for something that does nothing for me! 
Boy, back in my day..

Dad2FourWI

Great thread!!!  ;D

We disconnected the cable back in 1995 and have NEVER missed it!!!! We (parents and children) love to read!

We also love our edger!!!!!!!!

When I read the comment re the WM edger was so narrow... well, we just walked out to the barn and .... yes, our edger is quite narrow... yet, I can tell you that I stand behind this thing close to every day and have yet to try and fit a board on that was too wide.

Sure, I wish I had really large slabs that would be too wide for my edger... but day in and day out, my edger keeps us far more productive on our mill by off-loading so much work to the edger so we can keep the mill going...

So my point is not to get too hung up on the widths/capacities and pull the trigger on the edger you like!  :D :D

As you learn more and decide what to go with... please post pics and share your findings!!!!

-Dad2FourWI

LT-40, LT-10, EG-50, Bobcat T750 CTL, Ford 1910 tractor, tree farmer

Dad2FourWI

Yikes! I hate to post on my own post... but I went out to the Thomas site to look more at the edger and noticed that the "blade is fully adjustable to any increment width from 3" to 22" with a secure set collar"

I can tell you that one of the BEST things I create from my WM edger is stickers!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I end up with a very marginal board..... what to do with it??? Stickers! Or a very tapered board, I can still get a few stickers from it!

Just something to think about.... at 3" minimum.... that is one very thick sticker!!!!

Maybe I am not reading that correctly.... it is a bit late.... but just something to be careful of...  ;)

-Dad2FourWI
LT-40, LT-10, EG-50, Bobcat T750 CTL, Ford 1910 tractor, tree farmer

Dave Shepard

My WM only goes down to 2 1/4" wide. Too wide for stickers. I'd like s much wide, centering edger, but I'm happy with what I have for now. I saw a lot of big pine logs, so I get really wide tapered flitches that won't fit. My new Milwaukee Fuel 18v circular saw is really handy to trim some of that taper off so they will fit.

Ron Wenrich

Do those little edgers have a movable fence?  The edgers we used in the circle mills had a movable fence on the stationary saw.  We couldn't saw narrow boards, but we could take off anywhere from 1" to 6" at 1" increments from a straight side by moving the fence.  Very handy if you have a bit of bark on a straight edge side.  Also handy for cutting stickers, or splitting boards. 

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Cazzhrdwd

Quote from: Dad2FourWI on May 04, 2016, 11:52:24 PM
Great thread!!!  ;D

We disconnected the cable back in 1995 and have NEVER missed it!!!! We (parents and children) love to read!

We also love our edger!!!!!!!!

When I read the comment re the WM edger was so narrow... well, we just walked out to the barn and .... yes, our edger is quite narrow... yet, I can tell you that I stand behind this thing close to every day and have yet to try and fit a board on that was too wide.

Sure, I wish I had really large slabs that would be too wide for my edger... but day in and day out, my edger keeps us far more productive on our mill by off-loading so much work to the edger so we can keep the mill going...

So my point is not to get too hung up on the widths/capacities and pull the trigger on the edger you like!  :D :D

As you learn more and decide what to go with... please post pics and share your findings!!!!

-Dad2FourWI

I don't know what you saw but it doesn't take a very large log to get plenty of wide boards. The load that is in my kiln now is 4600 ft and was made out of 11 logs. Bet there isn't 20 6" boards in the whole load. Plenty of two board layers though.

What's more frustrating is why in the hell would WM make an edger that only goes to 15" wide? Its completely ridiculous.

It irks me a bit that I have to buy from a competitor to get the equipment I need to run a world class operation!!

4x4American

Right...just like the cut throat on the LT40 is too small IMO!
DTFWI good thoughts.  I'm leaning towards the Baker Edger right now.  I've seen it in person, the capacities will work, and I know that they make a top quality product.  I may start supplying the pallet guy down the road and a flooring mill up yonda with lumber and I think that an edger would pay for itself within nanoseconds.  lol
Boy, back in my day..

Cazzhrdwd

Quote from: 4x4American on May 05, 2016, 11:25:24 PM
Right...just like the cut throat on the LT40 is too small IMO!
DTFWI good thoughts.  I'm leaning towards the Baker Edger right now.  I've seen it in person, the capacities will work, and I know that they make a top quality product.  I may start supplying the pallet guy down the road and a flooring mill up yonda with lumber and I think that an edger would pay for itself within nanoseconds.  lol

24" inches is too small? Not for me.

15" on an edger is.

4x4American

I'd prefer bigger...can't tell you how many times it wasn't big enough, and not even 24", 28" when you put the stops down, still not big enough.  But that's just my opinion...
Boy, back in my day..

Dave Shepard

If you had a bigger opening, you'd find bigger logs. It's a vicious cycle ending with a WM1000. :D

Cazzhrdwd

Quote from: Dave Shepard on May 06, 2016, 09:02:36 AM
If you had a bigger opening, you'd find bigger logs. It's a vicious cycle ending with a WM1000. :D
Agreed
Wm offers a larger mill for that purpose and its a darn fine mill. Why make an edger that has the smallest board cut size in the industry?

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Cazzhrdwd on May 06, 2016, 07:51:19 PM

Agreed
Wm offers a larger mill for that purpose and its a darn fine mill. Why make an edger that has the smallest board cut size in the industry?

I never edger over 12", most of the time the lumber is 4",6",8",10" wide.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Cazzhrdwd

Quote from: Peter Drouin on May 06, 2016, 08:16:13 PM

I never edger over 12", most of the time the lumber is 4",6",8",10" wide.
Well that's great. My first 4 boards are usually 6", most go into fence boards. The next 4 are usually around 10" after that they get pretty wide.

Thank You Sponsors!