iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

makita 16" saw table

Started by knowslittle, May 03, 2016, 05:12:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knowslittle

Hi- 
  Inherited a 30 year old Makita 16" beam saw (gold paint) from Dad, and added the aftermarket alum. base a long time ago.
Yesterday I was ripping beams and found that the saw blade is out of parallel with the edge of the aluminum base by about .100" in 14".
   I don't see how to correct this, and although we've been using this saw for cross cuts, when ripping it really came to light as how much effort was needed to push it on thru the stock, basically somewhat sideways.
  Any one come across this, and if so do you know how to correct it?

thank you,
Bob

opticsguy

I also have this model of Makita.  You "can" do ripping with this saw but I do not recommend it.  My experience is that ripping really pushes the limits of this saw and is a very very slow process.  An out-of-parallel base will make this an even more difficult chore if you are using the base as a guide.  Sorry, I am not familiar with the aluminum base. Why not contact Makita customer service, they might have some excellent solutions.
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

Heartwood

Bob,
Can't you shim the base so it's parallel, either with a washer under one of the fixings or gluing a piece onto the edge of the base on the front or rear? I assume you're using a straightedge guide.
I doubt Makita will be any help since this is an aftermarket product.

knowslittle

Yes Optics guy, ripping is tough, this was the first time I used it so. Probably not again.

Will, I thought about a shim up front at the pivot point to move the back end around, but a shim running the length of the base is the simple solution.  Seems the amount of out-of-parallel decreases as the depth of blade diminishes, so I'm wondering if it is in the slotted arm that locks in the height adjustment that pushes the base slightly. Perhaps the best solution is your tapered shim affixed to the base's edge.
  Will. . .BTW. . thanks for your instruction @ Heartwood, helluva instructor you are (only wish I was half as good a student).

Thanks gentlemen for ideas. . .problem solved, again.
Bob

Thank You Sponsors!