iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

upgrade hydralic system

Started by autotomk, May 03, 2016, 09:57:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

autotomk

I have read discutions on this subject before but I could not find it on  the forum. perhaps re hashing may be good anyway.

I am ready to up grade the hydraulic system on the LT40 standard hyd. mill. I have purchased 3/8 lines to replace the 1/4 lines on the mill. and fitings as well.

so the question is and my goal first I guess is to speed up the hyd. system and saw more wood per hr. my options are a new pump from woodmizer to essentially change to a dual pump system as on the supper mills at a cost of 3-4 hundred or an AC pump system at a cost of some where between 1000-1500 dollars.

I do know the AC system would be better but how much better than a supper system is the million dollar (ok maybe 1000 dollar) question.  if I new how to spell cost effectiveness that would be my question.  all I know is I want more lumber per hr.:)  thanks for any help
To God be the glory.

DGK

I installed a second hydraulic pump on my LT40 along with the 3/8" lines. One thing to keep in mind is that the stock alternator does not supply enough power to the battery to run both pumps. To facilitate the power requirements. my mill has a second battery as well as a DC generator supplying an additional 60 amps. The speed of the hydraulics with the 2 pumps is great.
Doug
Yukon, Canada

LT40G38 modified to dual pumped hydraulic plus, HR120 Resaw, EG200 Edger, Bobcat S185,Bobcat S590, Logosol PH260M3, Sthil MS660's, MS460,MS362's MS260, Trailtech dump trailer, F350, F700 Tilt-Deck log/Lumber Hauler, JD440B Skidder, Naarva S23C Processor

autotomk

Wow I would have never thought of that, my single pump really draws on the alternator come to think of it  I love this forum  thanks very much  so there is another cost to consider into the equation
To God be the glory.

Magicman

Is that "supper" kinda like a super?   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

autotomk

well im never late for supper 
To God be the glory.

rjwoelk

Mm I think that the electrical system is making supper out of the battery.  :D
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

OlJarhead

What do the 3/8ths lines get you?  I'm assuming more volume but do they make any difference on a standard setup?

I'm curious if the upgrade makes much difference as it sounds like loading and clamping etc would be faster but not the milling itself.  For me the loading is a pretty small part of the whole log being milled.  Once on the mill the hydraulics clamp and roll the log/cant but it's the mill head itself cutting the lumber that takes the most time.  I wonder if the biggest bang is in the power head and bands rather than elsewhere (and you might have a big diesel now as I didn't check).
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

autotomk

Engine up grade I'm sure would be much more productive I'm sure.  But the cost would be higher also   hydraulics is more in our price range. It seems I wait for ever for the hydraulics  before I can start.to.saw.again. 
To God be the glory.

autotomk

The 1/4inch lines won't handle the increase in gpm  is what WM has told me and others. 
To God be the glory.

Thank You Sponsors!