iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

International TC5 or here we go again

Started by svart ole, May 03, 2016, 04:01:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

svart ole

Got to talking with my brother and asked if he was ready to get rid of his TC5. His response was well, I don't need two of them. You have two now...........end result was some horse trading and I have to go get this later today.

Need to clean the tags and figure out just when this one was made. Rumor has it that International in Canada built about 800 of them in the early to mid 60's. The base machine is a IH 500 crawler. This one is gas the he kept the diesel. Here we go again off on another adventure.

My wife said I collect junk, I told her I am a amateur industrial archaeologist just trying to save valuable artifacts.

Logger RK

I sure wish I could've bought my neighbors before he took the cutting torch to it. He logged once in awhile with me with it starting in the 70's. It was real good in soft ground. Unfrozen spruce swamps around these parts. He'd go through getting them to freeze down.

svart ole

That is what they where designed for. Deep snow or soft ground. Places where there was spruce or tamarack or just plain low ground. I have looked for one for years. I remember when they first started showing up when I was a kid just knew I had to have one. All things in due time I guess. You do know you could buy the Oliver OC-4 with a winch and just about the same track system. They where popular in Sweden and the track used on the TC5 was made there.

Over the years I have seen way too much good equipment cut up for a few dollars. Or it was a eye sore to someone. It is sad that we place very little value on our industrial heritage but will spend hours trying to figure out the meaning of a scrap of canvas hanging on a wall that someones dog barfed paint on.
My wife said I collect junk, I told her I am a amateur industrial archaeologist just trying to save valuable artifacts.

Logger RK

I agree with that. I did buy a JD 1010 last spring. One of My Sons is working on the steering & main clutch's on it. He got it apart & said the bad side looked like the clutch was good but the shaft going through had moved & not staying in the splines. The manual didn't show what holds it in place he said. So he was taking the other side off to see what that looks like.I'd be nice if there was a winch with arch to put on it. It does have a PTO.

Remle

Sorry don't mean to high jack this post but, logger RK, their is a complete FREE parts beak down on the JD parts web site for the 1010 crawler tractor, FYI  http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/pdfs/PC0727.pdf

47sawdust

I saw a TC5 on Maine's craigs list this winter.I had never seen one before.What is the advantage of the wheels over a crawler type drive?
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

North River Energy

^Smoother ride, faster speed, and you're not grinding up expensive metal bits running back and forth from woods to landing.

Autocar

Cool little machine, look's like a fun project.
Bill

Logger RK

Thank you Remie. My friend couldn't find rear drive tire's for his,but he did find some the same size and took his chain saw to cut groves on the face of them so tracks grabbed. Seemed to work good.

Woodhauler

My dad bought one new in the mid 60s, I ran it every summer and school vacation from when I was in 3rd grade till high school! His was a diesel. We worked 5 days a week! Very able machine. Still running today not many miles from where it spent its whole life.
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

DeerMeadowFarm

svart ole answered my question about the hole in the rear rim on the other thread. Now for the next dumb question: what's the purpose of the vertical metal thing between the front and middle wheel?

North River Energy

^Outer bearing support for the walking beam?

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: North River Energy on May 05, 2016, 02:47:11 PM
^Outer bearing support for the walking beam?
OK, that makes sense now that you say it.

Woodhauler

Yes it was for a center pivot for the front walking beam. I could yard wood across bogs you couldn't walk on.
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

svart ole

I am going to have to check the manual on the machine to confirm it but my brother told me ground loading was 2.5 PSI. A average 200 lb. man walking is about 20 PSI.  :P

Pulled the brush guard off and dropped the tracks off and pressure washed it today. Well knocked the big chunks off. I am going to run it in my garage (low door, why the brush guard came off) and pull the steering clutch/brakes and see what kind of shape they are in. I have no desire to put it to work and find out they are lame. By the way, I got one extra track for parts that came with the machine.  8)

svart ole

Specs say 3.8 PSI with the 15" tacks. I got the clutches out and have some parts but on reassembly found some other issues so will be ordering more stuff on Monday. Somewhere in its 50 year life span it has been the recipient of some creative maintenance. Like when the friction discs ware down just put a extra used one in the stack.  Myself I am just going to bite the bullet and do it right and it should outlast me. Even if I don't do anything stupid to hasten my departure.

Just a heads up if you need parts for IH 500 series crawlers (or a TC-5) Tractorparts/General Gear & Machine in Boise, ID has quite a bit of aftermarket parts.

Remle

The additional disk may not have been added for the reason you stated. We just did a JD crawler and the new disks were thinner than the old and required one additional disk to get the correct stack height. Though the instructions for the 500 are quite different than those for the JD.

svart ole

I can see where that would be one way of compensating for a short stack of new discs. I would add drive palates myself. The backing plate on one of the clutches was also cracked and deformed. Stack height may have been the cause but I suspect not having the brake adjusted as it should is a more likely cause. As in too much throw out bearing movement before brake engagement. I can see a guy who went from a OC-3 or something with differential steering to this just wanting to pull harder on the lever if it wont turn. That could be a bad thing with this if not adjusted right. Using a manual will keep you from finding out the difference between knowing and believing. May even keep you on the right side of the dirt.

svart ole

So far all new discs, pressure plate and throw out bearings in both steering clutches. Drained and flushed and refilled transmission/hydraulics. Re-bonded  linings on winch clutch bands.  Replaced gear lube in winch. Dropped belly pans and pressure washed. Lots on new nuts and bolts. Turned new blade pins. 

I have to say two things after a little test drive. One is that it is the smoothest riding track machine I have ever run. It just floats over uneven ground. The other is don't even think about sneaking it across the lawn. I am going to have to find two more 6.50x16 tires to replace the oversize radials on the front as they will bottom out against the walking beam pivot frame with high oscillation climbing over higher obstructions. Still have to give it a total rewire and hook up the lights. I suspect the generator will get replace by a alternator. Then it will be off to the woods to deal with some blow down and make some firewood. Gearbox and I need to give the BT-6870 a work out. Will try and take some video or at least pictures.

Before anyone asks, no I am not going to paint the TC-5 just leave it as found. Like most old buggers that have knocked around the woods for 50 year we have a few scars, and may track a little funny but it is all just part of our story.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ox

Looks like a fantastic machine.  I've never seen one in real life.  Be interesting to see how she pulls when grunting down low.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

47sawdust

I see two of these for sale on CL.One in Maine for 1k OBO,one in Virginia for $12500.Quite a price spread.

Ground clearance must be an issue with these?
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

craigc

Just saw one on Craigslist in Bloomington Indiana.
Rottne SMV, Timbco with Logmax 9000, JD 540B Grapple.

svart ole

Sawdust,
I have not had a problem with ground clearance. Given the job the machine was designed for hi ground clearance was not a requirement. I don't hi-stump when I fell and my steering clutches and brakes work. May not be able to drive right over that two foot tall stump, I will just drive around it and then double dog dare ya to fallow me across that tamarack swamp. Just a matter of the right tool for the job and why they sell big toolboxes.

47sawdust

ole.
Thanks for your reply.Stumps aren't the problem.My woodlot is pretty bony and I was concerned more with ledge outcroppings.
What does svart ole mean? I got the ole part and after reading your posts can only imagine svart stands for smart.
Best to you,
47sawdust
Mick

Thank You Sponsors!