iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Having a stroke is no fun

Started by Coffee_Creek, May 03, 2016, 02:56:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coffee_Creek

I am one blessed man, we left NM last Wensday flying out of ABQ to see my daughter graduate from college in Gadsden AL. arrived at our home early evening and jumped on the tractor first thing. I had ordered a new backhoe attachment for it and couldn't wait to try it out. played with for a few hours before dsrk, got up Thursday morning and right back on the tractor I go, had a cook out planned for 5pm with family so around 3pm I rolled the cooker from the shed to the carport, opened the lid and scraped the inside with a putty knife, was about to add charcoal and fire it up but wanted to wash my hands and arms, went inside turned on the faucet, reached to pick up a scrubber with my left hand and soap with my right, looked down and noticed the scrubber was still laying there, thought to myself why, I know I picked it up, focused on moving my left arm, no luck, picked up the scrubber with my right hand put in my left still could not move it, tried to talk and sounded like I had drank a whole lot of natty's. Wife called 911 and after a 25 minute chopper ride I was in a B,ham ER. yep, doc confirmed had a stroke, gave me a clot buster shot and twenty minutes later arm worked again, still talk like I had been drinking but with fewer natty's. doc said if I had waited it would have been very differant story, spent Thursday evening and Friday in ICU, moved to a regular room Saturday and was released Sunday right after Dale Jr spun out. back home around 3pm, if feel something ain't right get your butt to the Doctor, I did and Iwent from ICU to being back to playing on my tractor in 3 days,
by the way the backhoe attachment works great!!!
dug up this sweetgum stump with no problem.

pine

Glad to see you back in action. 
Strokes are  serious and you did the right thing (as if you did not already know that).  Lucky that you recognized the issue.

Coffee_Creek

Thanks Pine, I was very very lucky, many things could have happened that would have made this turn out ugly. Having it while flying from NM to AL, Doc said having one while sleeping is one of worst times to have one. Just wated to share this as a reminder to all, these things do happen and can happen to you. I've never had a weight issue, get ckeck ups regular due to my work and never considered I would have a stroke but, thanks to all the safety meetings I have attended at work and talks about the early signs of a stroke I knew what was going on and got treatment fast.

red

The clot buster can only be used within 3 hours if having a stroke . so it is very important to know exact time of the stroke. Also when you think some one else had a stroke asking to stick out their tounge . If they can't stick it out straight means stroke. Then ask to squeeze both hands , if one side is weak most likely stroke. When my Mother was in the Stroke Intensive Care Unit at the hospital I was very surprised to see MANY young people in there .
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

thecfarm

Go news and lucky you. Glad all is well with you and the backhoe attachment.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

lowpolyjoe

Wow - scary.  Glad you acted fast and got the help you needed.   

Congrats on the backhoe attachment. 

Magicman

Thank you for sharing your experience, and good for you for recognizing the symptoms and taking the proper action.

Oh, and congrats on the Granddaughter's college graduation and the new tractor attachment.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

CC,

Thanks for sharing. Hope no permanent ill effects from your experience. Congrats on the granddaughter's graduation. Good looking loader you've got there too.

My wife was from Cullman. Last time we were there was for her 40 year reunion and we stopped on the way back in Gadsen and your Hill Top Flea Market. Only problem was my wife rushed me too much. If not I'd likely still be there. I know we bought a bushel of peaches, several good melons and some tools including a winch for my deer feeder.

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

r.man

Good work on both the stroke and the backhoe. This will give your daughter a good ending story to tell about her graduation, besides the fact that she graduated.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Chuck White

Glad to hear that everything worked out well and you're pretty-much back to normal, Coffee-Creek!

The backhoe attachment is interesting, do you have an internet link to it?

Never seen one for the quick-attach on the loader!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Coffee_Creek

Hi Chuck, check out SkidPro.com
I've bought their tree shear, auger, stump bucket and backhoe, still plan to get their 6 way dozer blade, trencher and HD rotary cutter, these are for the skid steer I plan to buy later this year but, several of them are working pretty good on my tractor.
If you call them ask for Josh and tell him Darrell Bice sent you, great guy to deal with and I'm very happy with the quality of everything I've bought from them, he will deal on the listed price so be sure and let him know that you're shopping around.

DelawhereJoe

That front hoe bucket looks like it would be very handy and much cheaper then a backhoe attachment. I feel your pain about being in the hospital for a few days, 2 years ago I went to the er with chest pains and was told I was having a heart attack. Spent 3 days there, they even tryed to run the wire up to my heart to brake up blockages but they found none. They came to the conclusion that I picked up a virus that attacked my heart and caused it to swell and beat irregular.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Coffee_Creek

Oh, and congrats on the Granddaughter's college graduation and the new tractor attachment.   ;)
[/quote]

thanks MM, my daughter is the one that graduated, she went back after getting married and having two kids, I am very proud of her.

Coffee_Creek

Quote from: r.man on May 03, 2016, 08:45:19 AM
Good work on both the stroke and the backhoe. This will give your daughter a good ending story to tell about her graduation, besides the fact that she graduated.

yes it will, ambulance took me from my house to a church parking lot a few miles from home which happens to be the same one my granddaughter goes to day care at, my daughter was pulling into the parking lot to pick up my granddaughter as the ambulance was pulling in and the chopper was landing.

Coffee_Creek

Quote from: red on May 03, 2016, 06:02:14 AM
The clot buster can only be used within 3 hours if having a stroke . so it is very important to know exact time of the stroke. Also when you think some one else had a stroke asking to stick out their tounge . If they can't stick it out straight means stroke. Then ask to squeeze both hands , if one side is weak most likely stroke. When my Mother was in the Stroke Intensive Care Unit at the hospital I was very surprised to see MANY young people in there .

i was debating on posting this, didn't want to ramble on about medical issues but, thenI thought that if even one person reads this and makes realize they may be having a stroke it's worth posting.
I learned a lot about strokes in the last few days, the main thing was strokes can be very different from one person to the next, one guys only had one foot go to sleep, others just an arm go numb, quite a few have no speech impact at all, I too had always been told to check their smile, squeeze the hands and get then too speak a sentence which fit mine to a tee but, a lot of people have none of these, the important thing is if have body parts stop working or if you feel something is not right get to a doctor or ER right then, it could save your life,

Farmerjw

Man I am glad to hear you survived and survived well!!!

That "fronthoe" attachment looks so versatile!  I instantly could see taking the bucket off and putting on a plate and splitting wood with that thumb attachment.  Glad all is working and well in your household.  I always fear I will be the one to "shrug" it off and lay down and never wake up. 
Premier Bovine Scatologist

fishpharmer

Glad to hear your on the mend Coffee Creek.  Thanks for sharing.  During the last year I had a family member go through a similar experience. 
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Magicman

Thanks for the correction Coffee_Creek.  I congratulate your Daughter for making the commitment to further her education.   :P   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

samandothers

Glad you are back at it!  Thanks for sharing. 

Congratulations to the daughter on graduation!

doctorb

Glad you're doing well.  Great post.  Really showing some zeal with your excitement about the backhoe coupled with a stroke!

Regarding the clot-buster.... all should know that most strokes are due to a clot, or blockage of an artery in the brain, and are called ischemic strokes.  If given early enough, this drug reopens the artery by dissolving the clot, providing the return of blood supply and an increased chance of the return of function.  But not all strokes are from a blockage.  Some are from bleeds and are called hemorrhagic strokes.  You do NOT give a clot-buster to people with a stroke of this type, as it will increase the bleeding and worsen the prognosis.  So the docs need to confirm what type of stroke you have befoire they start giving you these meds.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Coffee_Creek

That's what they did on me, check for  bleeding with a quick cat scan then gave the shot.

Onthesauk

Mine happened during the night so not sure of timing.  Then had to drive and hour for the hospital so too late to do anything.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Thank You Sponsors!