iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Air Drying Shed

Started by fstedy, October 29, 2004, 07:08:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fstedy

:) Good Morning Forest Forum  :)
I am planning on making an air drying and storage shed
and could use your expertise in designing one. What I had in mind was 12' X 24' but I'm not sure about the height and also if it should be open on all sides and how much roof overhang to use to keep rain out. Would a concrete floor be better or is an earth floor OK ???  I also have access to free crushed asphalt or concrete.
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

Paschale

I'm thinking about building something similar, though for me, it will mainly be a place to store wood that's already been somewhat air-dried.  Right now, all my lumber's taking up way too much space in my shop, and I want to cut down on the sq. footage it's taking up.  I'm thinking of building something that's got some open slats in it, that I can perhaps swing open for loading and unloading.  If I don't go with concrete, I'll probably have some sort of gravel under there instead of dirt, since I think the dirt could really just bring way too much moisture into the area.  I'll be interested in reading this thread, so thanks for asking the question!
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

fstedy

Paschale
 :D I think thats why we are both here. Hope we can get some good info. I am also planning to build a solar kiln in several months but I figured I need a storage area first. My concerns with the shed are primarly the height.  ::)
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.

Fred

I live in Wi. the pole barn I was going to air dry some oak in has a dirt floor. And the owner has some machinery & tractors in it. Today I noticed the tractor & machinery were soaking wet. This barn is really drafty but still not enough air flo so I will be stacking my lumber outside and covering.
If I did build one it would have a concrete floor..
Baker 18M
Woodmaster 718 Planer/ molder

rbarshaw

Only concerns for height I see is;
 Equipment - If you will be moving lumber the equipment needs to fit.
 Rain - You want it as low as possible to keep rain Away from the wood, You can stack closer to the side of a low roof.

Sides will limit the air flow, but fans will help

A floor can be dirt but you will need fans to keep moisture from building up on the bottom of the wood.
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

fstedy

I have decided to make it 8' high, 10' wide, 20' long with an 18" overhang all around and crushed concrete on the ground. Also was considering some sheet plastic as a ground moisture barrier and 4X4's to raise the stack so I can move the lumber with a set of forks on the backhoe.

Don_Lewis

There is a decent publication from USDA on how to build a fan sheds and air drying sheds. Air drying sheds are adequate for small producers. Fan sheds are a little more complicated as you have to control when the fans operate. Normally you would want the lumber about 18-24" above the ground on concrete piers that allow good air flow. An air shed should be arranged to make use of the prevailing wind, should have enough overhang to keep rain and sun from ever hitting the wood and be equipped with burlap or Shade-dry curtains for when it is warm and windy. Running an air dry operation properly requires as much attention and care as a kiln. Almost all degrade in lumber occurs above 30% MC, so that is when you have to be the most careful. Once lumber is below 25% you can't really hurt it in the drying process

Ga_Boy

Good drainage is needed for a drying shed.  Also do not allow trash to pile up under the stacks and keep the weeds under control to keep the air flow moving.

If you go over to Woodweb adn down load a copy of "Drying Hardwood Lumber"; it is a PDF file.  Check out chapter 5, it's about drying sheads.

Mark
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

fstedy

Thanks I checked both sites out and found a lot of good info also found another link.

http://ianrpubs.unl.edu/forestry/g60.htm#ad

twoodward15

So I'll be able to add you to my lumber supplier and sawmill list soon I hope????????????  
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

fstedy

8)  We're gitin dere but that dern turtle keeps runnin over us ;D

twoodward15

when you get going let me know!!!  If you have time, can you shoot me some rates??  Sawing my logs and sawing your logs if you have them together.  You gonna do any sawing on halfs???  I seem to have a good supply of cherry logs that people keep trying to give me.  Most are right at 12 inches or a hair over  (small, but no rot in the center)  sometimes up to 22 inches.  I'd go halves or trade lumber for lumber on them when I get my next batch!
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

Thank You Sponsors!