iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

honeysuckle prevention

Started by maple man, May 01, 2016, 08:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maple man

Hi Folks,
This summer I am having the first commercial cut on my 50 acre woodlot in central Maine. The plan is to clear two patches of about 3 and 5 acres and do a release cut of two other 4-5 acre patches leaving about half of the 6"DBH to 16"DBH trees. Most of what is being cut is birch, popple and softwoods. Most of what is staying is oak, ash, yellow birch and maples.

The last time this lot had significant cutting was about 15- 25 years ago and was done as a fairly heavy high grading cut of similar size patches to what I am doing. The regeneration went through raspberries to mixed sapling growth that I am weeding and thinning and which is doing well. There is now a lot of invasive honeysuckle in the area but virtually none on my property. I am hoping for some advice about strategies to keep the new regeneration free of the invasive infestation.

Thanks for any help.

curdog

You could try to keep timbered  buffers around the infested areas.  When we have tracts with kudzu, I'll recommend  to leave a buffer to keep shade on the plant.

killamplanes

Honeysuckle is running ramped here. I am a cropduster and the govt has programs that we spray timbers for it when the leaves fall of trees it stays green for awhile we spray over top it absorbs the next year less honeysuckle. Kills about 60-70 percent first applucation. U cant fiscally walk in some timbers around here in summer expecially if it had a history of cattle grazing...
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

Thank You Sponsors!