iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New power tool

Started by WV Sawmiller, May 01, 2016, 07:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

My wife and I drove down to Roanoke VA Friday and I bought a used 10" Craftsman Radial Arm saw from a guy handling an estate sale for a friend and had listed it on CL. I have not used a radial arm saw in 30 years or so since I used on in Wood Hobby Shops on a couple of USMC bases. Mileage probably cost me more than the saw. Sometimes it costs to take advantage of a bargain.

I need to check/tighten up all the nuts and bolts on the table and stand, rebuild the table top and fence/guide, and put casters on the legs to help move it around but everything seems to be working. I watched a couple of videos on them and learned some other things a RAS can be used for. Not sure if I will get that sophisticated for a while, if ever. I do still have a good dado set.

I built a couple of tall sawhorses today to match the table height and one shorter one to put out by the mill to stage flitches for edging. Using it under my shed right now but would be nice to have a proper shop to keep it in and use it.

I don't do finished woodworking like lots of you guys do but I can see a lot of uses for it and can see it as a source to use up lots of small scrap and rough lumber that would not sell as is. I'm thinking of using it to make Carpenter bee traps, birdhouse, rough shelves, sawhorses and such. Used some of my bowed and split lumber and some of my off cuts/trim cuts and still got fully functional sawhorses.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Kbeitz

Just remember to never ever put you hand in front of the blade... Never.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Kbeitz on May 01, 2016, 08:21:52 PM
Just remember to never ever put you hand in front of the blade... Never.

Thanks for the warning. I assume it is grounded in experience. I left about 1/3 of the tip of my left index finger in a table saw one time so being careful around sharp things comes easily now.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

YellowHammer

Yes, in some instances, the blade will pull outward at a pretty good clip.  Also, always crosscut with the concave side of a board outboard, smile out, hump against the fence, so as not to pinch the blade. 

I had a customer look at my sliding crosscut saw and say his radial arm was the most dangerous tool he owned.  I wanted to tell him that it was the operator, not the saw, who was the real danger.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Kbeitz

It's not the operator....
Sears will give you $100.00 for just the motor.
They want them off the market. I made a lot of money when they come into the junkyard
by just taking the motor and head in to Sears. I have two of them that I use and I'll never give them up.
But I've seen many times when they will grab the wood even with you knowing this will
happen and come ripping out at you. If your hand is in line you wont have time to remove it.

http://www.radialarmsawrecall.com/
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Savannahdan

I've used one for way too many years and probably will retire mine before too long.  I have a small workshop and it takes up a lot of floor space.  Although, I have to admit that I like the job it does on long boards needing to be cut.  If you don't have the manual for it you can check this site:
http://www.vintagemachinery.org/
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

capt dick

There is a recall on these. Craftsman will send you an upgraded guard kit at no charge. Google it to get address.

pineywoods

Two problems here, both mostly operator. If the blade has been changed, it is most likely a blade for a table saw..WRONG. A Ras is supposed to have a blade with zero hook angle on the teeth..The other is not using the anti-kickback pawl when ripping...Like any other tool, they can be mis-used, but are one of the most useful of power tools...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

WV Sawmiller

I assume the recall is for the older models as Sears still sells new RAS ($809.99 with free in store pick up).

Thanks for the recall info and link to get the operator's manual. I did not get one with the RAS. Typical estate case where the husband owned the saw and when he died the wife likely did not know where the manuals were located. His buddy was the one I met who showed and helped me load the saw. They aren't that heavy but they are awkward to handle.

Piney,

Thanks for the heads up. Excellent point and makes perfect sense. I will check the blade/hook angle and if it is a table saw blade I will replace it with a RAS blade.
Howard Green

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on May 02, 2016, 12:18:41 PM
Piney,

Thanks for the heads up. Excellent point and makes perfect sense. I will check the blade/hook angle and if it is a table saw blade I will replace it with a RAS blade.

+1

My neighbor just gave me his RAS.  His dad gave it to him and said it was a table saw ::)  I will check the blade on it and replace if necessary.  I just have to redo the table top, it already has caster that drop down to make it stationary.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Skip

I believe I down loaded the manual for free from sears web site.

WV Sawmiller

I went to the link kbeitz posted and it included manuals, I entered the model #, answered a few questions and they sent it to me. Thanks for all the help.
Howard Green

plowboyswr

Quote from: pineywoods on May 02, 2016, 09:54:20 AM
Two problems here, both mostly operator. If the blade has been changed, it is most likely a blade for a table saw..WRONG. A Ras is supposed to have a blade with zero hook angle on the teeth..The other is not using the anti-kickback pawl when ripping...Like any other tool, they can be mis-used, but are one of the most useful of power tools...
Thanks, I learned something! I hadn't heard the first part before, but had been told about the pawl. Now if I could just find some blades for my 9" and I will have to check the 10"
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

coalsmok

I have two of them. If you tune them up good they do good jobs on finer stuff. I also have the moulding head for one of them. I haven't been brave enough to use it yet, dad says it worked good.

jamesamd

The safest way to use a RAS,is to mark Your cutline on the board/pull the blade all the way to You/place the board against the fence/push the blade foward to the board/align it with Your line/clamp one or both ends to the table top,on Your side of the board/pull the blade to You,till it is at the stops/turn on the power and push slowly through the cut
to the back stops/turn off power/remove clamp/s and cut pieces one at a time.

jim
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

WV Sawmiller

I got out yesterday afternoon and replaced or tightened a dozen or so bolts that were loose or missing. Next I removed the levelers and installed 4 casters from HF. Since I am using the RAS on a dirt floor I see I need to reinforce the legs with braces in all directions as the Craftsman stand is pretty flimsy stamped out sheet metal. Should work fine for in-place work but not designed for much movement. May just have to build one before it is all said and done. If I had a proper shop I'd just build a table as that seems to be the best application for one.
Howard Green

Brian_Weekley

I've been restoring old DeWalt radial arm saws and actually have 4 now--soon to be 5!  I absolutely love the old, round arm, cast iron ones.  They just don't make tools like this any longer and there are several operations the RAS excels at (dado, molding, etc.).  Having the correct blade for the RAS is essential.  Actually, the Freud LU83 is highly recommended for the RAS.  I strongly encourage you to buy this one book:  http://mrsawdust.com/samples.php

Finally, this is an excellent forum for radial arm saws, techniques, and other useful information:

http://people.delphiforums.com/snotzalot/sawdust/

e aho laula

park ranger

Well Brian Weekley, I too like the old radial arm saws.  I have a couple of old craftsman but the one by the sawmill is a 14" dewalt with the crank on the top of the post and the push button switch.  I don't think you can even get close to replacing RAS's with chop saws.  And thanks for the tip on the Freud blade, I'll look it up

Brian_Weekley

Actually, the very best blade recommended by the DeWalt forum for the RAS is the Forrest WWI TCP (triple chip profile) blade.  It's not even listed on the Forrest website (only the ATB version is)--you have to call and order it directly from Forrest.  It's a little pricey, but a quality, lifetime blade.  The Freud LU83 is a proven next best choice (and more affordable).

Quote from: jamesamd on May 05, 2016, 10:19:22 PM
The safest way to use a RAS,is to mark Your cutline on the board/pull the blade all the way to You/place the board against the fence/push the blade foward to the board/align it with Your line/clamp one or both ends to the table top,on Your side of the board/pull the blade to You,till it is at the stops/turn on the power and push slowly through the cut
to the back stops/turn off power/remove clamp/s and cut pieces one at a time.

With all due respect, you should not push cut on a RAS.  If you are experiencing the blade climbing or it pulling aggressively through the cut, you are not using a proper blade.  When you pull the blade through the wood, the rotation of the blade holds the wood down to the table and against the fence.  If you push the blade, the rotation wants to lift the wood off the table when the blade first enters the wood.
e aho laula

5quarter

Brian...I've got an old DeWalt 740 and love it. It does need some TLC. Right now I'm just using it as a cut off (end trimmer) on wide stock. Best $15. I've spent. X2 on pulling the saw through the cut. Also, I clamp every piece...no troubles yet.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Czech_Made

I use Craftsman for years, it was $50 at local church yard sale.  I looked up the serial number on Sears web and it was up for free upgraded blade guard and a table.

There are cuts I have no other way to make, the saw works well for me.

Thank You Sponsors!