iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whats this planer used for ?

Started by Kbeitz, May 01, 2016, 04:04:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kbeitz

I just picked up this neat hand planer today at the flea market.
I really like old tools. I never seen one like this before.
I dont see any markings or name on it.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Jim_Rogers

That's a router before electricity.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Kbeitz

I'm not sure how I would use it... It has no guides or even a place for one.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

btulloh

It's used to clean up the bottom of a dado.  It's great for hand-mortising hinges.  A little chisel work and the finish up with the hag's tooth plane.  Everybody need's a hag's tooth.  If you don't want it, I'll give you $4.50 for it.
HM126

Kbeitz

I looked it up... Most of them have screw holes for a fence. Mine has none.
This is a new tool for me. First one I've seen... Small world.
They go by the names of....

Router Plane
Hand Out plane
Toothing plane
Old Woman's Tooth

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

btulloh

It's main purpose is to make a consistent depth in a shallow mortise.  It's normally used to complete the job after doing the primary work with a chisel.  I've never seen one with a fence or seen anybody use a fence.  It's really handy to just grab and clean up the bottom.  I made a wooden one and used an allen wrench as the iron.  Works fine.  (Not my idea - saw it somewhere.)
HM126

lowpolyjoe

That's a good find, I don't ever see them at my local flea market and  I've never seen one quite like that.

I got an old Stanley 71 in the collection of antique hand tools I bought a couple years ago.  It was in terrible shape, the sole was badly corroded.  I fixed it up and it's usable now but I question the squareness of the cutter to the sole.

http://www.hyperkitten.com/tools/routers/stanley/stanley_71.html

I bought one on Amazon a few years back but when it arrived it was about 1/4 the size I was expecting - it's less than 2" wide :(.   It does have it's uses for cleaning up small joinery but it was not what I was expecting.

The best use I've found for the tool has been to bring the cheeks of hand cut tenons into parallel and help  shave off small amounts to fit them to their mortise.  I haven't made any dados in my hand tool work so far so, but that is the other primary use I've seen them used for.

Kbeitz

Thanks to everyone for the info.
I can't believe that I never seen one before. I'm kinda a tool collector and I work with wood and metal.
I even have some friends that collect planes. I go to tool swap meets. Somehow I have missed seeing
this kinda tool.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

woodworker9

Quote from: Kbeitz on May 01, 2016, 08:23:00 PM
I'm not sure how I would use it... It has no guides or even a place for one.

A fence is not needed if you have a sharp cutter.  My hand router came with a fence, but I never use it.  Once you mark your lines and chisel them to score the fibers, you're on your way.  Go slow at first, and after your first pass, your following ones will be guided by the previous cut.  Short learning curve....
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

Bark Beetle

You can also saw to the full depth and just use it to chisel the wood out between the kerfs and keep the bottom if your dado parallel to the surface
You don't work wood, you work with wood.

Thank You Sponsors!