iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Built a Kiln structure and not sure what to do next

Started by Kipper, April 30, 2016, 03:15:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kipper

Well, as the title says I built this structure about a year ago and have only been able to ass the board and batten siding since then. My original intent was to build a solar kiln so it is positioned to catch the most sun. The measurements are 8ft wide by 20 ft long with 6 ft of stand up height. Framed with 2x4's and a treated deck.

My conundrum starts with, I do not have 220v power available where it is. So a 110v is the only available power. My original thought was to run two Dehumidifiers at the same time. I have since discovered individuals very well versed with the Nyle L53 Kilns (WDH and YellowHammer) and am sold on the control of a Nyle Kiln. My question is what to do with my existing structure. The floor is not insulated.

One thought I had was to put a tin roof on it at the current slope and then frame in a new "box" so to speak with the closest dimensions I could get to the Nyle plans for a 8ft or 12ft chamber.

All thoughts are welcome.

Thanks,
Kip
LT40HD, Cat Diesel
New Holland L783
Kubota BX23
Metavic 1400XL
2016 Dodge 3500
2007 Dodge 3500 (Dump)
Belsaw 802 Edger
Too many trailers to count and all Stihl Saws!!

Planman1954

Kip. That looks great. Why not do a solar kiln? You are in S. Carolina? If so, it will do well. Check out my thread...solar dry kiln construction. It will show you how to do it with a couple of fans, and one dehumidifier...all can run on 110 v. Have fun!
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

Kipper

Planman, I hate to say it but your thread is the one I started this with. Not to discredit what you have done at all but I wanted to control it more than waiting on the sun. Granted I could be completely wrong about how to go about it but I think the Nyle system allows more of that control?
LT40HD, Cat Diesel
New Holland L783
Kubota BX23
Metavic 1400XL
2016 Dodge 3500
2007 Dodge 3500 (Dump)
Belsaw 802 Edger

xlogger

I's just finish the solar kiln and build another one with insulated floor on a concrete slab for the Nyle. I have both and use them both. Be ready to spend $10.000 or more on the Nyle.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Kipper

Planman, I just re-read your thread and I have to say I am too close with it now not to try to make it work. Your level of detail is very good.

I didn't run felt paper under my floor boards or under my siding, can I install the insulation on the walls and then run the felt paper over the insulation?

Also for the floor, I was thinking of putting the felt paper down then a layer of the blue foam board and then 3/8 plywood for the floor. Any thoughts?

Xlogger, I have had that very thought more than a few times lately.  :o
LT40HD, Cat Diesel
New Holland L783
Kubota BX23
Metavic 1400XL
2016 Dodge 3500
2007 Dodge 3500 (Dump)
Belsaw 802 Edger

YellowHammer

Kipper,
I agree, finish it up, you WILL find a use for it.  I've got three kilns, and when I finished my Nyle 200, I thought I'd never use the solar kiln again, even thought about decomissioning it.  However, there has been wood in it 24/7 even today, and it is a valuable tool in my inventory. 

So a solar kiln dries wood slowly and sometimes unpredictably.  However, it takes almost no effort and electrical energy to manage, and dries wood very well, as long as that wood is in its sweet spot.  Therefore, load it with species that does well when dried slowly and sometimes unpredictability.  Therefore it's my first choice for drying white oak, and thicker slabs of most any species.  I'll put in it, dry it down, and then sterilize in my DH.   

For example, I hate to wait on air drying thick slabs for a year or more, I'm not patient enough.  However, DH kiln drying thick slabs from green is a waste of time and electricity as it ties up a valuable kiln resource too long.  My last load of 8/4 cherry slabs took only took about 6 months to dry from green in the solar kiln, a huge timesaver over straight air drying.  So right now, I have about 750 Bdft of high quality 8/4 walnut slabs in the solar kiln, drying very nicely and comfortably, and faster than air drying, but slow enough to still not crack.  Total $$ value of that one load is 750bdft x avg $10 per Bdft for slabs = $7,500 for that one load.  Trust me, the only reason that load is in the solar kiln is because I'm convinced it's the best way to dry it.

On the other hand, there is no way I'd put a load of poplar in the solar kiln, it will sticker stain and be ruined, probably. 

So kilns are like shotguns, don't go quail hunting with a 10ga and don't go big river duck hunting with a 20ga.  Not saying they won't work, but they won't be optimal.  Same with kilns. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Kipper

Thanks YellowHammer, all very good advice. My only concern now is that about 98% of what I will be drying is SYP. I am concerned the amount of heat it will generate will cause the wood to dry faster than the (18.2%) recommended daily moisture removal rate for pine that Nile recommends? Is that possible?
LT40HD, Cat Diesel
New Holland L783
Kubota BX23
Metavic 1400XL
2016 Dodge 3500
2007 Dodge 3500 (Dump)
Belsaw 802 Edger

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Impossible to hurt it with the VA Tech design using all solar.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

YellowHammer

Quote from: Kipper on May 01, 2016, 07:05:41 AM
Thanks YellowHammer, all very good advice. My only concern now is that about 98% of what I will be drying is SYP. I am concerned the amount of heat it will generate will cause the wood to dry faster than the (18.2%) recommended daily moisture removal rate for pine that Nile recommends? Is that possible?
No, I can't imagine it over drying pine, actually the opposite will be the probable problem, drying too slow and causing sticker stain.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Kipper

Ok, I am definently convinced to move forward with it. I am thinking I will start with R-30 fiberglass insulation then wrap with felt paper, then 1 in polysystrene insulation board then 1/2 plywood. Any thoughts? Not sure where to put the 6 mil plastic vapor barrier in there? One other thought was to spray closed cell insulation but I am not sure what additional insulation would be needed.

Thanks,

Kip
LT40HD, Cat Diesel
New Holland L783
Kubota BX23
Metavic 1400XL
2016 Dodge 3500
2007 Dodge 3500 (Dump)
Belsaw 802 Edger

BillyB

LT-15, Stihl MS880, MSC362, 72" Grandberg, Kubota M8546

WDH

I am late to the party, but you could set it up to store kiln dried lumber from the Nyle kiln that you are contemplating building.  You have to have somewhere to store the lumber, once kiln dried, and you could store a good bit of lumber in there.  You could build the Nyle kiln using the high back wall of your current structure as one wall of the Nyle kiln, and that will save you some $.  I dry a lot of 1" pine in my L53.  If you size the load right, you cannot dry it too fast.  Set the dry bulb and wet bulb temps to cause the compressor to run continuously, and you can take green pine to 8% in about 8 to 10 days.  If you air dry it some, you can add more BF in the kiln, and you can cut down the drying time. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Kipper

Billyb, to be honest I am still kinda hung up on the insulation layers and how to proceed.

WDH, you are correct I was thinking of storing the lumber in there after drying as well.
LT40HD, Cat Diesel
New Holland L783
Kubota BX23
Metavic 1400XL
2016 Dodge 3500
2007 Dodge 3500 (Dump)
Belsaw 802 Edger

Planman1954

Ok...first time since I posted I saw all the comments! I would simply lay down felt over the floor, and then apply a thin backing broad over it...something thin...maybe half inch stock or something. This would not be a big deal to do. Then you are good to go.
As far as cost of the solar kiln...for me, since I sawed the lumber for it, was less than $500 as I recall...insulation, felt, nails, plastic top,  etc.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

Thank You Sponsors!