iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First Mobile Job With new WM Need tool list to take along

Started by Mt406, April 29, 2016, 10:41:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mt406

Monday Is my first mobile job and I don't have any idea what tools I should take.
I have 100s of hrs on my swing blade and 3 on my Lt 35, this has rooky mis adventure written all over at.
So I will be sawing up clouds of saw dust this week end.
I look at the job he has may be 800- 100 bdf lodge pole 6+ years old logs are all decked easy to get to thay were peeled.
he built a log home years ago these are the left overs very dry.
He want 1x material my plan is to 3 side the logs and cut random with he will resaw when building his projects.
we agreed on 65 Hr.
So the tools I am planning on taking are.

Mill
5 Gal of fuel
5 gals on water
Safety gear Hard hat muffs chaps gloves
peeve
chain saw  fuel and oil
saw tool bag
mill blades
tool box
Invoices

That's all I can think of right know any input would be appreciated

Thank in advance

Scott

derhntr

2006 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 with command control (I hate walking in sawdust)
US Army National Guard (RET) SFC

thecfarm

Quote from: Mt406 on April 29, 2016, 10:41:34 PM

I look at the job he has may be 800- 100 bdf lodge pole 6+ years old logs are all decked easy to get to thay were peeled.
he built a log home years ago these are the left overs very dry.

I hope someone will see this about the 6+ years old logs and very dry part. Seems like there is a trick to milling dry logs. It might not bother either.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

autotomk

Taking my saw out has always been an extremely adventure for me   good tool list so far  the log owners us ally have what you forget   loging chain may come.in handy   wd 40   Trans fluid for up down mast   water on blade does t work well on dry hardwood  not sure on pine  if no pitch build up may as well go dry unless blade.heats up watching tension   wd work well on blade for dry hardwood??  I'm not a big fan of three side sawing unless the customer wants one live edge .  Clamping t to last.board gives me  trouble   product looks much better random width. Unless you mean 3 side then through saw on 4th.   I always do way.more than what is asked or agreed on when custom sawing. Thay always ask me back  I may.not be.much help but have fun
To God be the glory.

Remle

If you have an extra/ old set of blade wheel belts you might take them along. When you least expect it a gremlin will appear and cause the blade to jump off and tear one up, been their, done that..  :D

Chuck White

I think Scott is sawing what lots of us call D-logs.

There would be 3 sides sawn and one side left live-edge!

Scott, don't forget to add a shovel and your sawmill manuals to your list of tools!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

You have gotten some good pointers, so I will only add a pat on the back and well wishes. 

Mobile sawing is always an adventure and can test your comfort zone.  Every job is different but similar so learn from each, and enjoy it.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

deepsouth.us

First aid kit
Level (probably already in tool bag)
Square (probably already in tool bag)
Blocks for leveling
Insurance documents

Timberking 2000

WV Sawmiller

Not sure what customer has available so I assume nothing. In addition to some of the things you list my list includes:

Chain saw, fuel & bar oil
Leaf blower
shovel
Hammer & Wedge (in case blade gets stuck in wood)
Carpenter Square
Tool kit with socket, hex, and open end wrenches, etc.
short boards 2X8 for under landing gear
longer 2X8 boards to put under wheel to level mill if needed
Spud bar - to dig out under landing gear, etc.
Tape measures
My PPE with Extra gloves
WM Owners manual and Contact numbers
Spare tire, jack and lug wrench for mill
Tow cable (sometimes I end up pulling a log forward or back)
Spare belts
Mill cover in case I have to leave it overnight
ATF spray and wipe on

Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Savannahdan

Since I'm sitting at the table reading this I have to add take some lunch and some drinking water or Gatorade.  If you're in the woods do like the bears and have some Charmin.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

Chuck White

Quote from: Savannahdan on April 30, 2016, 09:42:19 AM
Since I'm sitting at the table reading this I have to add take some lunch and some drinking water or Gatorade. If you're in the woods do like the bears and have some Charmin.

In the door pocket, drivers side, 3/4 door I have a couple of partial rolls.

When the roll at home gets a little smaller, if I'm low in the truck I'll take the partial roll and replace the one at home with a full one!

But yah, you never know!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

scully

Socket set pliers screw driver hammer wedges open end wrenches . Never know if you will need to pull a cover and adjust etc.  I alwways bring a well stocked hand tool box and a spray bottle of trans fluid .
I bleed orange  .

GAB

Pack a round pointed shovel.  I don't often need it but when I do I'm glad I have it.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Sawmill Man

A lot of good suggestions and I would like to add to the list an ohmmeter and a metal detector.
"I could have sworn I went over that one with the metal detector".

Magicman

You can easily get overloaded with stuff.  Pay attention to what you actually use and need and gradually eliminate excess baggage.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Mt406

Thanks for all the good responses there's a lot of things I didn't think of.
Spent 3 more hr at the mill today will saw one more log tomorrow before packing it up and loading up for Mon.
Feeling more comfortable with it now. Its a different world from my swing blade. have to think out how I am going to cut the log.

Scott 

Chuck White

Quote from: Magicman on April 30, 2016, 10:31:30 PM
You can easily get overloaded with stuff.  Pay attention to what you actually use and need and gradually eliminate excess baggage.

Good point Lynn.

I'm planning on getting a new "mill toolbox" and your post got me to thinking, I'll take both toolboxes out on sawjobs and when I use a tool, I'll put it in the new toolbox when I get done with it, and so on.

I know I have more wrenches in my current toolbox than I use.

Mt406

Job went well. Didn't brake any thing or do any thing embarrassing.
One thing was forgotten SUN SCREEN two days ago it was trying to snow today 70 no clouds only light breezes.
No matter how much saw dust on you you still burn though it.

I do have another question?  no matter witch direction you set up the will the wind allways blow in your face?

Thanks  for the input.     

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Mt406 on May 02, 2016, 09:25:20 PM
I do have another question?  no matter witch direction you set up the will the wind allways blow in your face?

Thanks  for the input.     

Did you ever sit around a campfire where the smoke didn't blow in your face? Sawdust is the same way.

Glad everything went well.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Sixacresand

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Chuck White

shakebone

Lt40 super desiel , LT 35 hyd , New Holland ls 180 , Case 75xt ,
So many logs so little time.

red

There have been other lists here for going mobile . 
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Magicman

Jim_Rogers

And the one thing you'll need is the one thing you will have forgotten.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Thank You Sponsors!