iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

tw5 hydraulic pump

Started by OH logger, April 29, 2016, 10:06:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OH logger

tied up the hyd pump today. what would cause that? it only has 800 or so hours on it. has anyone else had the same trouble. gonna drive to the dealer tomorrow pick one up put it on and be splittin by noon. 500 bucks later and we'll be splittin :)
john

lopet

Unfortunately they don't make stuff like they used to do and once every while you get a bad product.   I assume you have a filter in your system.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

hedgerow

I too had a 28 GPM higher priced one from surplus center failed with only 300 hours on it. I had bought the pump from surplus center in Lincoln NE. The splitter is always stored inside and oil was clean but the pump just locked up. I complained to them they did sell me a new one for less. I have a another splitter with the same pump on it and has been on there for 20 years and no problems. That splittter doesn't have a hour meter but it has a lot of hours on it. Both run a 30 gallon oil tank with no cooler and we split most of out wood in the summer.  Both splitter run a inlet screen for the pump and a over sized filter on the return side.

OH logger

gotter back together. yes on the filter and I change it religiously. gonna work it tomorrow and hopefully all goes well. don't see why it wont. :o hopefully that was a freak thing. gonna take the old one to the hyd shop and have it rebuilt hopefully.
john

logman81

I had a pump lock up ad well on a tw5 that i had. I too am very religious about the maintenance. I replaced it and all was well.
Precision Firewood & Logging

wndwlkr65

I don't know if TW puts strainers on the inlet side of the pump. If they do I would take it out & check it. If they don't I would put one in for sure.

redprospector

I've had 3 of the 28 gpm pumps lock up over the years. Not on a TW5, but on my Chomper. First one was the original (to my knowledge) Barns pump with about 900 hours, replaced it through Surplus Center. Lasted about 40 hours. Sent it back, no satisfaction. Bought another from them (at full price) to get going again. It lasted about 200 hours. I figured that I couldn't afford that nonsense any more, so I bought a cheap import pump online to get by while I figured out what to do. 500 hours later it's still going strong.  :-\
Barns/Surplus Center said that I was "over pressuring" the pumps. I don't know, I think they're rated at 3200 psi, and I was running 2900 psi. I put a new gauge on after the 1st one, and it read the same as the old one.
I guess you just have to go cheap, and buy often.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Al_Smith

Just for general information reducing the pressures adds longer life .I have the Parker-Hannifon book of hydraulics applications and it's surprising once you look at the charts .

At work for example on older stuff they used larger cylinders and lower pressures .For example 3000 PSI rated operated at around 1000 PSI and they ran for decades before they needed repairs .

My buddys splitter is a 4 inch cylinder,my homebuilt is a 5" .His cylinder gets so hot you could fry an egg on it .Mine barely gets warm .Heat is the biggest killer of hydraulic systems .His is set at around 3000 PSI mine at 2200.They run at the same speed .

Thank You Sponsors!