iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

from salvaged log to table

Started by Raym, April 29, 2016, 06:55:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raym

One of the many reasons I purchased my sawmill was to make fine pieces from salvaged logs destined for the landfill. This is my first piece from log to finished piece. As most of you know, it is a long process from sawing slabs, to air drying and then Kiln drying. Then the real work begins. It is breathtaking when seeing it in person. The top is live edge spalted ambrosia maple slabs with live edge aprons. The voids were filled with "inlace' epoxy. The legs were turned from purchased curly maple.

Although my sawmill sits idle a lot of the time, (I had no idea I would be so busy with my new business) it isn't even up for discussion to sell. Strictly from a business point of view I should have sold it a long time ago but the time I do get to spend sawing I wind up with sawdust in my teeth from smiling so much.

Three weeks ago I hired my first full time employee so as time goes on we should be able to do a lot more sawing.....and "making"
'14-LT40 super, nyle l200m kiln, vintage case 480E loader.

It's not the fool that askith, it's the fool that agreeith.

Savannahdan

Beautiful table.  I'm running into the same situation here where there is a lot of wood being sent to the landfill.  Some folks here don't want to deal with live oak and sweet gum trees.  The city is clearing the old growth which is deemed risky and most of it is headed to the dump.   I plan to salvage as much as I can.
Thanks.
Dan
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

dboyt

Beautiful piece of furniture with a great story behind it.  If you find a tree service that will work with you, it's like a gold mine.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

thecfarm

I would like to see that when I walk into the room.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

drobertson

Very nicely done,, looks like your plan came together! Killer looking table,,Those legs too
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

justallan1

Beautiful job for darned sure.

Dad2FourWI

I would not mind sitting behind that table!!!!

Beautiful job!!

-Dad2FourWI
LT-40, LT-10, EG-50, Bobcat T750 CTL, Ford 1910 tractor, tree farmer

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

DeerMeadowFarm

Carson-saws

VERY very nice.  Well done!!!
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

low_48

Personally I prefer a more contemporary, or more natural leg system under natural edge slabs. But wonderful craftsmanship!

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Raym

Thanks for all the kind comments. I am about to start another one....

low_48, what exactly do you mean by more natural leg system? I was torn between turned legs and square tapered legs, but thought they would be too "clunky".

I have neve been a fan of a trestle style base
'14-LT40 super, nyle l200m kiln, vintage case 480E loader.

It's not the fool that askith, it's the fool that agreeith.

Ianab

It's a personal taste thing.

The turned legs are fine, but maybe they don't really "mesh" with the live edge.?

This is a "trestle" style table that I made for our kitchen.

I think that sort of trestle design works pretty well with a live edge top. But like I said, it's a matter of taste. How you marry the organic lines of the live edge, with a more "formal" leg design?
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

tnaz

Ian, how/where did you come up with the design, and how to cut to make it fit.  Really nice to me.

Thanks,

Terry

Ianab

Quote from: tnaz on May 06, 2016, 05:44:13 PM
Ian, how/where did you come up with the design, and how to cut to make it fit.  Really nice to me.

Thanks,

Terry

No real plans, just searched for pictures of trestle tables in Google until I found some I liked, did some sketches to get the basic dimensions, and then made it. 

It's pretty simple joinery. The 2 "feet" and table support pieces are the same profile band sawn from a 6x2 and shaped up with hand planer, sander and router. The "legs" are just 8x2, and have a half lap join to the top and bottom, Screws are on the inside so not really visible. The bottom stringer is another 6x2 that runs through a mortise near the bottom of each leg, and is pegged in place with a tapered peg.

The top stringers a just 2x1, screwed into rebates. Then screws go up through those to hold the table in place. I figure the 2x1s have enough flex to accommodate some wood movement in the top. They can bow in or out a little as needed.

So, nothing fancy, just a nice sturdy table.

There's 8 kids eating birthday lunch off it at the moment, so sturdy and rustic counts for me than heirloom construction.  :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

tnaz

Never built anything like that, so you make it sound easy.  I hope to if/when I get a mill.  I have a lot of dream.

There's alot of good folks on here; I sure do enjoy seeing what others put together.

btulloh

I really like the trestle base with the live edge IanB.  I think it works well.  I could see the uprights being live edge as well. Trestle bases are simple to make too and sturdy.
HM126

Thank You Sponsors!