iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Black Locust near St. Louis

Started by Biocmp, April 28, 2016, 10:00:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biocmp

Anyone near St Louis able to get black locust?  I have a number of projects: deck, garden fence, garden beds/trellis, eventually a gazebo and arbor.  I need to find some black locust but I haven't seen any advertised locally.

Anyone care to give me a pointer?

dboyt

Start calling tree care companies.  You might find something.  Find one that will work with you and you'll have all sorts of interesting logs!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Ox

Put a wanted ad in your local Pennypincher, Pennysaver, Thrifty Nickel type paper looking for black locust.  You might get some people willing to either give away trees or a local logger or sawyer may contact you.  In our local paper it's a free ad if you're not trying to sell anything.

Usually when people give you "free" trees they end up the winners because they want no sign of the tree ever being there.  That's a lot of work for you.  But if you're needing something bad, some is better than none.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

killamplanes

Ive got a couple logs I run into it here and there in the timber. Usually cut it for rr tie. Dont know if I can get enough rounded up for ur project but I can keep my I out I guess.  I see alot of trees a week.
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

Larry

Tom at lumberlogs.blogspot.com usually has some.  He harvests urban St Louis logs and is open a few days a week for retail. 
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

boardmaker

Quote from: Larry on May 01, 2016, 10:39:59 PM
Tom at lumberlogs.blogspot.com usually has some.  He harvests urban St Louis logs and is open a few days a week for retail.

That's who I was thinking of too.
He's a member here.  Tomfromstl

I've been to his place.  He works with his brother.  They are very helpful!

Thank You Sponsors!