iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing Prices over 12 foot.

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, April 28, 2016, 08:25:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineywoods

I saw by the bd ft only. For a while, I tried MM's suggestion of by the lineal foot. Some people just don't understand a board foot. I used a sliding scale based on log size, but that just confused customers even more. For someone with one or 2 logs in his pickup truck, I sometimes make a wild guess and quote a flat price. Anything over 20 ft, I send up the road to LeroyC, he has an extension on a lt40 superhd...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Jim_Rogers

When I'm working alone and sawing long logs, I cut the slab in half, at least, before I try and carry it off the mill.
Sometimes even with my helper here we cut them in half or even thirds to make carrying them off easier.
Hardwood goes to the chop saw table to be cut up for my firewood.
Softwoods are hauled out to the chip-grinder to be made into fuel for the electrical power plant in southern NH. I have two different guys wanting my softwood waste.
They will even come here and pick it up.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Hackermatack

Quote from: Jemclimber on April 29, 2016, 07:50:50 AM
Quote from: btulloh on April 28, 2016, 04:09:58 PM
Hackermatack, have you posted pictures or anything about your log turner?  I couldn't find anything and I'd like to see how you made it.

Add me to the list as well Hackermatack.  I'd love to see your turner.

OK I am going to start a new thread so not to hijack this one completely.
Jonsered 2230, 590, 70E. Kioti DK 35 /w fransguard winch. Hudson Oscar 236

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Hackermatack on April 29, 2016, 11:01:53 AM

OK I am going to start a new thread so not to hijack this one completely.

Carry on...I'm finished.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Hackermatack

I did start a new thread and got a couple of pictures but I am having a heck of a time figuring out how the picture posting works. I got them into my gallery (twice) but have trouble navigating the rest of it.
Jonsered 2230, 590, 70E. Kioti DK 35 /w fransguard winch. Hudson Oscar 236

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Hackermatack on April 29, 2016, 05:22:48 PM
I did start a new thread and got a couple of pictures but I am having a heck of a time figuring out how the picture posting works. I got them into my gallery (twice) but have trouble navigating the rest of it.

Try this:      https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,61788.0.html
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Kbeitz

If you got to the part where you can see the picture you want to show on your screen
you can then move down the page and there will be a spot that says insert picture
in post... Click on it...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

warren46

Most of the logs I saw are 16' and I always saw solo.  I just slide the slabs off or the log and they fall next to the mill.  I then pick them up with my front end loader and haul them to the slab pile when enough slabs are there to make a load on the forks.  I drag back each board and slide it onto the stack lifting only one end at a time.  Since it takes more time to saw 16' I have more time to stack 16' boards.

Some times when sawing 2" oak for trailer decking I will through and through the cant and pick it off of the mill with the front end loader.

It works well for me.
Warren E. Johnson
Timber Harvester 36HTE25, John Deere 300b backhoe/loader.

Thank You Sponsors!