iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pickup truck skidder?

Started by Hiway40frank, April 28, 2016, 07:28:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hiway40frank

Anyone ever skid with a pickup, how did it go? My lil log tractor quit on me so I was thinking, I got a 99' f150 5.4l 4x4 I got for only 200$ and it runs and drives fine I use it for moving firewood on my land. So could I skid with this thing? Ive got a 5k winch and was thinking of taking the bed off and building a small arch. Good or bad idea? Any advice welcome thank you.

thecfarm

I see you have small scale logging mentioned. I betcha you could. BUT I would not haul a cord behind it at a time. Haul light and make more trips. Automatic? My brother put another brake pedal into a auto for individual brakes. Made a big diffeance. Put the chains to it. Turning that truck around in the woods would be the worst part. I know a guy that has a ford and he uses it to plow snow. He cut the frame and has the rear axle right up by the cab.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,63665.msg947533.html#msg947533

Reply #12 has a picture of a truck.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Logger RK

Sounds like it wouldn't cost to much to be pulling wood again,so I'd give it a try. Plus if you put pictures on here it would be interesting to see.  :)

oldseabee

It would be a gas hog with all that HP just to pull one or two small logs any distance.

wannaergo

I saw a Toyota  pickup converted to a skidder. The guy put a different gearbox in it so it had an unbelievable amount of torque. He had it as a flatbed, with a winch mounted by the cab. I watched him pull 3-4 oak trees that were 10-12" diameter up a fairly gnarly hill. I was pretty impressed.
2016 Ponsse ergo 8w
2014 Cat 564
Husky 385

Hiway40frank

Quote from: logger RK on April 28, 2016, 07:49:55 AM
Sounds like it wouldn't cost to much to be pulling wood again,so I'd give it a try. Plus if you put pictures on here it would be interesting to see.  :)
Il give it a shot, gonna rip the bed off this weekend and see how its goes, I will update with pictures, is a 5k winch enough grunt? Im moving 20-30in pine and 10-20in hard maple and oak all for milling.

Hiway40frank

Quote from: oldseabee on April 28, 2016, 08:23:28 AM
It would be a gas hog with all that HP just to pull one or two small logs any distance.
Thats the down side and being in 4x4 low range all the time does not help. Any ides on how to drop like 2k pounds off the truck?

Hiway40frank

Quote from: wannaergo on April 28, 2016, 09:14:02 AM
I saw a Toyota  pickup converted to a skidder. The guy put a different gearbox in it so it had an unbelievable amount of torque. He had it as a flatbed, with a winch mounted by the cab. I watched him pull 3-4 oak trees that were 10-12" diameter up a fairly gnarly hill. I was pretty impressed.
So he would winch the log up onto the bed? Seem like a good idea since im about to start going after some nice trees for my new mill.

starmac

I skidded lots of logs with a 76 F250 highboy. I had a diesel motor in it and monster mudders on it. I also had a 8000 pound warn winch, but didn't use it for skidding. everything is only as strong as the weakest link, and it will let you know what that is pretty quick, in my case it was the axle gears in the D 44 front end.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

York Woodwright

My experience would suggest that your idea of a pickup truck as a skidder would work, within reasonable limits of course. I use my 2005 Jeep Wrangler for skidding smaller loads (e.g., maximum of two logs at once) when I can't get my large Deere tractor to where I'm cutting. It has a front-mounted winch and the Rubicon suspension with front and rear lockers, etc. I put it into low range 4x4 and it is a delight. But it is a gas hog.
Charles

I'm still learning how to use my WM LT40HD. This is an avocation, not a vocation -- not as pecunious as medicine, but a lot more fun!

Hiway40frank

Quote from: starmac on April 28, 2016, 11:41:09 AM
I skidded lots of logs with a 76 F250 highboy. I had a diesel motor in it and monster mudders on it. I also had a 8000 pound warn winch, but didn't use it for skidding. everything is only as strong as the weakest link, and it will let you know what that is pretty quick, in my case it was the axle gears in the D 44 front end.
Ive mover 20 cords since I got it and have done some plowing so im confident the drivetrain is fine my worst fear would be something getting caught in the under carrage and snapping a driveshaft or putting a log thru the floor

Hiway40frank

Quote from: York Woodwright on April 28, 2016, 12:11:43 PM
My experience would suggest that your idea of a pickup truck as a skidder would work, within reasonable limits of course. I use my 2005 Jeep Wrangler for skidding smaller loads (e.g., maximum of two logs at once) when I can't get my large Deere tractor to where I'm cutting. It has a front-mounted winch and the Rubicon suspension with front and rear lockers, etc. I put it into low range 4x4 and it is a delight. But it is a gas hog.
Charles

looks good I know she can pull trees ive moved a few down trees o the driveway with a chain and even with the butt in the ground it pulled. Thats why I figure an arch should make it a breeze.

thecfarm

I did forget to say on my land it would be almost impossible on most of my land. Too many rocks and uneven ground. I keep my roads just about brush free with my tractor. Yes,it takes some time,but does alot less damge to equipment keeping things clean.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

lopet

Quote from: Hiway40frank on April 28, 2016, 01:50:26 PM
Ive mover 20 cords since I got it and have done some plowing so im confident the drivetrain is fine my worst fear would be something getting caught in the under carrage and snapping a driveshaft or putting a log thru the floor

Nothing wrong with your idea of a low cost skidder but you wanna keep your trails smooth. I too would take off the bed and build a arch to get the logs off the ground.
Good luck and yes we need pictures.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Hiway40frank

Quote from: lopet on April 28, 2016, 09:45:49 PM
Quote from: Hiway40frank on April 28, 2016, 01:50:26 PM

Nothing wrong with your idea of a low cost skidder but you wanna keep your trails smooth. I too would take off the bed and build a arch to get the logs off the ground.
Good luck and yes we need pictures.
Should have some pics to post by sunday if everything goes well.

Gary_C

I once had a neighbor that tried plowing his garden with a IH Scout and a two bottom trip plow. Had his wife sitting in the rear facing seat with the trip rope. It didn't work very well and I think she got a case of whiplash when that plow dug in but it was entertaining. The next year I saw the same guy out mowing his acreage with one of those old sickle mowers behind a Pinto station wagon but then his wife drove and made him sit in the mower seat. They are no longer married.  ::)

I've used a farm tractor/loader for skidding and put one small branch thru the radiator and tore two hydraulic hoses off. Sometimes you got to do what you have to do but expect trouble with brake lines, fuel lines, etc.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Hiway40frank

Yup gotta take it easy with the truck I guess, it should only be for a few months until I can get 5k and id really like to buy a used case trencher to use as a mini skidder. Again im not trying to re invent the wheel but a trencher is 1/2-1/3 the price of a similar size skidder and the trencher has a bachoe so its not a single purpose machine. Just rambalin sorry

Corley5

A logger and his son in law had a pair of 3/4 ton Chevy 4X4s they made into skidders for row thinning red pine.  They put tractor tires on the truck rims and built arches on them after pulling off the boxes.  I'm not sure what they used for winches.  This was years ago.  They worked them for a while.  These were the same guys that repowered a Franklin cable machine with a Pontiac V8.  The planetaries didn't last.  They went into the home building industry and still are  ;) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

red

I have seen a few. One had all glass removed from cab , then the passenger side cut off . So only the drivers half of cab remained with all.steering brakes and shifter. Plus a big exoskeleton roll cage . Seemed like a lot of work .
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

azmtnman

For lack of anything else, I skid with my '97 GMC. We harvested 1000 cu/ft last year with the largest being 36" dia x 16' long. Only casualty was one tire.
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

coxy

Quote from: azmtnman on April 29, 2016, 10:30:12 AM

For lack of anything else, I skid with my '97 GMC. We harvested 1000 cu/ft last year with the largest being 36" dia x 16' long. Only casualty was one tire.
is the bark black from a fire

pasbuild

Quote from: wannaergo on April 28, 2016, 09:14:02 AM
Was that Toyota dark blue with skid plates and body armor?  if so I have seen the same in action VERY impressed
:o
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

wannaergo

I wanna say it was red. It did have skid plates though. It was a while ago though, I might be mistaken
2016 Ponsse ergo 8w
2014 Cat 564
Husky 385

enigmaT120

The rock crawler Toyota guys get a second transfer case and link it to the first, for lower gearing.  I don't know the details.  Mine just has one t-case.  I agree with the earlier guy who said, in effect, it seems like a lot of work for limited return. 
Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

red

I have heard of adding a third axle kind of like a deuce in a half but single wheel. . a second transfer case is added . . usually a Ford divorced transfer case that used a pony shaft from trans to transfer case . . and you reverse it using the original output as an input that give you two output yokes . . you have to really like fabricating
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Thank You Sponsors!