iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

CBN Wheels

Started by Peter Drouin, April 27, 2016, 08:43:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

I'm getting 600 to 676 blades sharpen with one wheel counting going around one time. I do grind heavy and go around 2 times sometimes. So is that a good number for the life of the CBN wheel, or is someone out there getting more blades done?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Cedarman

What are the indications that your CBN wheel is worn out?
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Peter Drouin

It will not sharpen the blade. :D :D Do you have a CBN? I was hoping for some numbers, how many blades it can do.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Cedarman

I normally just go around once unless blade has some damage and needs several trips.  I haven't kept track of number of sharpenings.  I would say I am getting close to 1000 trips.  Still have 200 to get to your level. 

NMFP

On my machines, processing an average of 500 bands a month, I am getting around 1200-1300 sharpening's on one wheel.  I also use soluble oil B for the coolant with a cleaning additive.

What machine are you running?  I do not have any experience with the 8" machines but I would guess they would last a little longer as the surface area is greater.

xlogger

Cedarman, what angle do you sharpen your blades at? I saw mostly cedar also and trying different angles and sets now.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

pineywoods

Little early to tell. I adapted a rixsaw 10 deg wheel to my old wm drag sharpener. Been 3 or 4 months use, but had to re-profile a bunch of junk blades. Lots of grinding. Some areas of the wheel are showing some wear, especially the face to gullet transition area. I got a note from rixsaw offering to re-coat my wheel if I ever wear the cbn coating off. Anybody done that ?
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Percy

Quote from: Peter Drouin on April 27, 2016, 08:43:13 PM
I'm getting 600 to 676 blades sharpen with one wheel counting going around one time. I do grind heavy and go around 2 times sometimes. So is that a good number for the life of the CBN wheel, or is someone out there getting more blades done?
I havent kept track of the numbers like you but Gary at Salmon Arm Wood-mizer told me Id see the coating gone in spots when they wear out. I cant remember for sure when I changed it last but Im sure its been 3 years. For lube, I use a good quality 32 rating hydraulic oil.
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Cedarman

xlogger, I use 10 degree blades.  We have tried other angles , but didn't notice much difference.  Saws frozen ok.  We have lots of blades in circulation and I would hate to keep track of other angles.  Would have to change the CBN wheel if we went to other angles.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: NMFP on April 29, 2016, 07:50:50 AM
On my machines, processing an average of 500 bands a month, I am getting around 1200-1300 sharpening's on one wheel.  I also use soluble oil B for the coolant with a cleaning additive.

What machine are you running? 

I have a WM set up. That's a lot of blades you do, You must be real light on the grind.
You must go around the blade 3,4, times. Customsawer says he goes around 5 times on a blade. Maybe he will tell us how well he does with a wheel.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

customsawyer

I don't try to keep a count on the blades per stone. When I first started I was going to but with the number of blades I go through I lost count. Now I just change the stone once it's worn. I figure it as a consumable part and let it go at that. If I had to guess I would say in the 500-700 range. I only do the 5 passes on the first sharpening of a blade when using the WM stones. I now use a rixsaw wheel and change the profile to a 4/39 and I can clean up the profile in 3 passes. Keep in mind that the reason I take so many passes is due to what I am cutting and how rounded the teeth corner gets.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Peter Drouin

Do you use 4° all the time?
A&P saw Mill LLC.

customsawyer

Not when they are new but once I sharpen then yes. Now the cooks is set up at 7 but I'm considering changing it to 4 also.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

elk42

Customsawyer
  On my cooks Cat claw  I let it down on the clamp screw and it was 4 1/2 ° then I used a file to bring it down to 4°. 
Machinist Retired, Lt15 WM 25 HP, Stihl 044, Stihl 311, Kubota M2900w/FEL, KUBOTA L4800 w/FEL,
Lincoln Ranger 10,000, stihl 034,

Peter Drouin

So your cutting 40' matts with a 4° blade?
A&P saw Mill LLC.

customsawyer

www.thecustomsawyer.com

NMFP

I keep track of the number of bands I do for cost accounting and for costing jobs.  I have had wheels last only 100 bands and then some last 1200-1300 bands.  It all depends on how bad the bands are and if I hit something that's embedded in the steel I cant see when cleaning.

I have numerous sources for wheels as I sharpen any brand out there and have had a lot of wheels made over the years for specific brands of bands.  I just had a wheel made this winter that is designed to sharpen a really deep and aggressive carbide band.  That wheel was just a little over 600$ for a wheel.  Next time, it will be less but not knowing how many bands I will do for the customer, its a real gamble.

My experience is you will know when the wheel needs replaced or recoated and a lot depends on condition of bands that come to you and how many passes it takes to clean up the bands to a square tooth tip.

JustinW_NZ

Quote from: pineywoods on April 29, 2016, 09:21:23 AM
Little early to tell. I adapted a rixsaw 10 deg wheel to my old wm drag sharpener. Been 3 or 4 months use, but had to re-profile a bunch of junk blades. Lots of grinding. Some areas of the wheel are showing some wear, especially the face to gullet transition area. I got a note from rixsaw offering to re-coat my wheel if I ever wear the cbn coating off. Anybody done that ?

No, didn't know they could recoat them.
Keen to know myself!

And otherwise I get several hundred sharpens to over 1000 perhaps?
I do say three light passes around the band normally?
I run a stock of about 80 bands.
7deg turbos and 10deg (all WM bands/gear with rixsaw CBN wheel)

I did find my machine had gone out of alignment and chewed a spot on the last wheel hard
didn't last as long and now I'm paying for it again as I 'reset' the profile back to the right angle.

I use a locally made tool sharpening oil to keep things clean and cool.

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

Peter Drouin

Recoat, guess I'll stop throwing them out. :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Stephen1

Hi guys, I am keeping my eye on this post. I hit lots of nails and would love to convert my WM drag sharpener to CBM. I see a few have done it. Is there a good link on how to convert it.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

pineywoods

To upgrade to a cbn wheel, you will definitely need a different cam. Good idea to upgrade the motor also. I did mine a couple of months ago and there is a post with pictures in the sawmill section. I made my own cam and mounted a 1/3 hp 110 volt motor. I use water plus machine shop cutting oil for coolant. You may need to upgrade coolant flow also..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390

dustyhat

Do you have a link to that spot ( pineywoods ) ? interested myself.

shakebone

Dont know exact count of blades but when i started using 1/2 deseil and 1/2 cutting oil it really increased the life of the wheel .
Lt40 super desiel , LT 35 hyd , New Holland ls 180 , Case 75xt ,
So many logs so little time.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: shakebone on May 02, 2016, 02:43:29 PM
Dont know exact count of blades but when i started using 1/2 deseil and 1/2 cutting oil it really increased the life of the wheel .

I"ll try that, thanks
A&P saw Mill LLC.

pineywoods

Thank You Sponsors!