iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blooming tree

Started by rjwoelk, April 27, 2016, 01:21:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjwoelk

In my travels through your fair land I truly do enjoy spring, as I get to see trees and flowers we do not have in canada. One that is prevelent along the highway hedges, it has a purple,  move,  blooms it is a not a big tree more like a willow, very pretty though. What is it? ???
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Savannahdan

I'm in Georgia and you see a lot of Crape Myrtles planted on the major highways.  Not sure if this is the tree you're referring to.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

WV Sawmiller

rjwoelk,

Need more detail on the tree. Size, where is it found, leaf shape, etc. One tree with purple flowers that is blooming in our area this time of year is a Princess tree or Pawlonia (sp?). Has large elephant ear type leaves although there are no leaves on the trees yet. Another purple flower is a wisteria vine with clumps of flowers that look almost like clumps of grapes hanging. May be too early for them yet. I am mostly familiar with them growing further south.

A picture would be great if you get a chance to get one.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

rjwoelk

I did not see any leaves but I was driving. They were along i55 in Mo and IL . Slender stocks branchy at the  10 to 15 ft perhaps very colorful. I saw thes a month ago in Texas and oklahoma,  will try and get some pic the next time I see them.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

curdog

rjwoelk

I just looked up Crape Myrtle that sure looks like it. Thanks to all the ideas

Magicman

Crape Myrtles are not blooming yet, but Wisteria has purple flowers and has just bloomed.

It is a vine but many folks (us included) have some pruned like a small tree.  The vine will climb trees in such a way that it sometime looks like the whole tree is blooming when it is actually only a vine.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Red Good

My Empress tree just finished blooming , Big tall tree , bushy top with loads of purple blossoms 2-3 inches long .
Stihl 211C saw
Massey 135 deisel tractor with a front loader
Can Am 800 max quad
2001 Chev S10 pick me up
Home made log arch

SwampDonkey

We have an elder species here that is just about flowering. Before they fully open the mass of flower buds is purple. Just a branchy shrub. The leaves come out later.

Also a wild honeysuckle is flowering now, but yellow.  I just noticed purple trillium and trout lily is up and colts foot has been up for 2 or 3 weeks, yellow.

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

rjwoelk

Well now I don't know what it is. It does look like mm pic. But I did not think it was a vine but could be. Will stop the next time I see it and investigate, and take a picture. They were very prevalent along the interstate  in MO and IL OK

rjwoelk

A tulip tree flower? Beautiful what ever it is.

JohnW

That must be a Yellow Poplar, AKA Tulip Poplar.  And that's a very nice picture.

Ianab

Tulip Poplar is a type of Magnolia, which are known for their nice flowers.  :)
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

We call them tulip trees in Canada because aspen are poplar (genus populus) up here.  ;D :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Sometimes a poplar is a popple and sometimes it is a tulip  ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jeff

@rjwoelk  I accidently deleted your photo trying to rotate it on my phone. SORRY! Can you please reupload? Thank you!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

rjwoelk

Thought for a min i was in the wood shed
:D

Thank You Sponsors!