iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

how to saw an oval log?

Started by WLC, April 26, 2016, 04:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WLC

Had a decent sized spruce tree that I had to cut down. Made three +-12 foot logs.  I didn't want to waste it by just sawing it into firewood, but the logs are basically shaped as an oval with the pith centered on one side of the oval.  What would be the best way to saw these up?   
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

dgdrls

drobertson

yea,, it can be a good recipe for a boarder line waste of time,, unless you need the lumber I would go with your first incling,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WLC

Quote from: dgdrls on April 26, 2016, 06:04:52 PM
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,84976.msg1299756.html#msg1299756

see if you find some help here

D

Thanks for that link.  My logs, while not that big, are just as off centered.  It was odd to me as the tree was growing straight as a string.  I may be wasting my time, but I think I will try sawing them.  I need the practice anyway, and the education may be worth it.....maybe.  Might just try cutting 4x6 cants instead of 2x stuff.
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

drobertson

Quote from: WLC on April 26, 2016, 07:27:14 PM
Quote from: dgdrls on April 26, 2016, 06:04:52 PM
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,84976.msg1299756.html#msg1299756

see if you find some help here

D

Thanks for that link.  My logs, while not that big, are just as off centered.  It was odd to me as the tree was growing straight as a string.  I may be wasting my time, but I think I will try sawing them.  I need the practice anyway, and the education may be worth it.....maybe.  Might just try cutting 4x6 cants instead of 2x stuff.
If you have the time, I agree, saw them and check it out,, you said you had three logs?  I would split up the list and saw a variety if for learning and experience purposes,, I do on occasion, they still seem to bite me in the rear just when I think I have it figured out ;D
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!