iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Older Woodmizer

Started by Simon3380, April 25, 2016, 11:45:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon3380

I've been doing some research for the last few months about buying a mill. I'm looking to mill for myself for a timber frame garage and hopefully eventually milling for hire to offset the cost of the mill. I recently came across a 1998 Woodmizer LT40 Super with less than 600 hours with debarker, ride along seat, board return, and the original engine was replaced with a 42 hp Kubota after the original blew up.  Besides several years of dust it looks to be in great shape and the guy said it's been stored in his shed it's whole life. He said the lowest he would take for it was 23k. Do you think this is a good deal or should I keep looking? He also had a single blade edger for $1500 would that be worth it as well?
Garbage in, garbage out

Dad2FourWI

Hello Simon,

My mill is about the same age and a "few" hours more....

I purchased it about a year and a half ago with the original Kohler 28 engine (not a Super) and it was about 20k.

I am thinking that the super, with the upgraded engine, and in "great" shape at 23k is not bad!

The edger at 1500 might also be something to look at.... we purchased ours for around 3k and we LOVE it... but we would have liked it even more at 1500!!!!!!  :D :D :D

Throw out some counter offers and see what happens... you might even come out better!!!

Let us know what happens!

-Dad2FourWI
LT-40, LT-10, EG-50, Bobcat T750 CTL, Ford 1910 tractor, tree farmer

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Simon3380.

The mill sounds like it's priced fairly!

I don't know anything about edgers!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Simon3380

I thought it was a pretty decent price then I called woodmizer and they gave me an estimate of between 18-21k. Are they typically a little low when the estimate the value?

Also just wondering on peoples opinions on getting a new LT40 hyd with just a couple of upgrades for around 27K vs an older mill like this?

Thanks for the feedback!
Garbage in, garbage out

derhntr

NEW is always nice! Get the auto clutch
2006 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 with command control (I hate walking in sawdust)
US Army National Guard (RET) SFC

barbender

I think he's a little high myself. WM's "orange book" values are usually spot on.  However, if it is really clean that would make a difference, and the Kubota diesel is probably the best engine to grace  a WM sawmill. Does it have a debarker and setworks? If you want an auto-clutch, you'll have to add it on, more money $$. Also, a mill of that age with low hours sat a lot, which isn't good. Check for mice damage in the control box. I bought my 97 Super about 5 years ago, it only had 1000 hours on it but it sat a lot and was neglected. I had to do a lot of work to it to get it up to snuff.
Too many irons in the fire

Klicker

When I bought my mill the price between used and new was so close that it didn't make sense to by used when 6 or 8 th got new with warranty and what I wanted.
2006 LT 40 HD

Simon3380

It does have the debarker and setworks.
Garbage in, garbage out

Dad2FourWI

Agreed... the auto-clutch is very nice option! I would hate to be without mine now!!!
LT-40, LT-10, EG-50, Bobcat T750 CTL, Ford 1910 tractor, tree farmer

barbender

Personally, I'd let him set on it for a bit, unless it was in near new condition. If it is ready to saw, without you having to tinker with anything, I would offer the high end of WM's Orange book- 21K. Maybe offer 22K for the whole package. It depends on how bad you want it ;)  I got my '97 Super for way less money, but I spent a lot of time I didn't have repairing things that were bent/broken/neglected etc. I would've happily paid 20K for the same mill if it was well kept and ready to saw. Actually, when I was in the middle of some frustrating repairs (as in, how could someone even damage this part >:() I would have thought it smarter to pay too much for one that is ready to go. A couple of other items concerning the options the mill has on it- 1. Original Accu-set is no longer supported, so if it has problems, you can't get any parts for it. So to me, I wouldn't really pay extra for that option. It wouldn't be worth any less, as you can saw without the setworks. But if you upgrade to Accu-set 2, it's a lot of $$ 2. Does it have the Mk l or Mk ll debarker? The Mk 1 has a 1/2 hp belt drive motor, the Mk ll is a direct drive 3/4hp. Everyone seems pretty happy with the Mk ll, mine has the Mk l and I think its kind of, well, I'd like to retrofit to Mk ll ;D Keep in mind, I didn't have mine from new and maybe it could be made to perform better, but as mine sits, it would be more useful on a rope underwater holding my boat in place :) Again, more $$ to upgrade, I think it was around $1200. The good thing with a '98 is it is the newer style frame, the same that a 2016 model is. You can retrofit any current WM accessory to it.  I just don't want to pay for expensive upgrades when I pay top dollar for something, though. Used equipment value is based mosty on condition, and what it is worth to YOU ;)

Simon3380

Thanks for the feedback. I do think this mill is in pretty much ready to go shape but I'm in no hurry to get a mill and if it's not a "good" deal I think I'll probably wait a bit.

I did look into the auto clutch and it looks like it would be somewhere in the neighborhood of $750. Older mills do have there drawbacks for sure.
Garbage in, garbage out

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Simon3380.  That sounds like the exact mill that I have except with a different engine.  The high end of the Orange price sounds more in line because the hours are so low.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Simon3380

Again thanks for the feedback. It doesn't sound like he's going to budget off the 23k mark. It's a good mill but I'm not in a rush to get a mill so I'll continue to keep looking around.
Garbage in, garbage out

barbender

Good on ya', Simon.  Wait him out and see if he really wants to sell it ;)  That little edger sounds interesting at $1500 though... ;D

trapper

Bought a small motorcycle once.  Price was high.  Gave him my price and phone #.  Told him if it don't sell give me a call. He called.
Trapper
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

red

A 1998 sawmill selling for more than $20,000 .  Seems like if you invest in a brand new sawmill you know you will get a large amount of your money back at resale time .
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

thecfarm

I would kinda be concerned about all of the belts and hoses. Yes,it's been under cover,but all that rubber will still rot.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

There was a major revision in 1998.  If it is the later model it is worth the top Orange Book value.

The only catch is that it's my understanding that the Setworks is not replaceable.  A call to WM would verify that.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dave Shepard

I think you are right. Accuset is no longer serviceable, but you could replace it with Accuset2, as far as I know.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

bkaimwood

My first concern would be with an engine replacement at such low hours... Screams poor maintenance and hard use? Kubota makes a good engine... But everyone gets a lemon every now and then. Check it out thoroughly, and it will be easy to see if it's neglect and abuse related by other parts of the mill...seems a few grand overpriced at the least... Just saying, I'm extra cautious with used stuff, specially when it's in the specified range...
bk

barbender

That mill would have had a 40hp Lombardini engine originally. They were (are) a good little engine, but there were 2 problems I'm aware of- 1. These engines run the fuel injection lines internally, they had some fail and they dump fuel in the crankcase. If you don't catch it immediately,  you get to replace the engine. 2. I've heard of them busting cranks due to excessive drive belt tension. That is not isolated to the Lombardini diesels, Cat engines had that problem as well.

Magicman

Many of the original Lombardini's were replaced.  My sawmill was three years old and with the second engine when I bought it.  This had nothing to do with lack of maintenance, but there was a problem with those engines.  I finally replaced the second engine after 10K hours, and with another Lombardini.

Magicman

Quote from: Dave Shepard on April 28, 2016, 08:22:40 PM
I think you are right. Accuset is no longer serviceable, but you could replace it with Accuset2, as far as I know.
It would have Setworks, not Accuset.

Same as mine.

fishpharmer

Simon3380, here is a suggestion...  If the mill owner is very confident the mill is in good condition and you're relatively unfamiliar with Woodmizer sawmill's, ask the seller if he will deduct from the price to have Woodmizer field service to come out and go over the mill with your presence.  The field service will go over the whole mill to check belts, hoses and align the mill. 

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Simon3380

I've given him a fair offer for the package based on the general feedback of this post. It open ended so either he takes it or he doesn't. Either way I ok with the outcome. Again thanks for all the feedback.
Garbage in, garbage out

Thank You Sponsors!