iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Horror stories of on the job portable milling.

Started by derhntr, April 25, 2016, 12:02:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derhntr

OK first job of the season and nothing seemed to go right. I knew it was going to be a labor intensive job from doing the site inspection bunch of small limb and tree tops mixed in with sawable logs. Arrived at site at 8 am got the mill all set up and put on a new blade. On second log I nipped log clamp with de-barker stopped saw and tried to back out and of course threw the blade and damaged a couple teeth on the blade. My fault so eat the damaged blade. Put on a new blade finish sawing that log.

Had to cut several tree tops in to fire wood lengths to get to next log. Customer told me that the trees had only been on ground about a year, but my guess was 3 years as the bark was half falling off and sap wood was punky and logs were badly end checked 6 inches or more and I would cut the end checks off. The logs were from 13 feet to 19 feet in length. Customer wanted 8-10-12 foot lumber.

On the 3rd or 4th log a chunk of bark was pulled of the log by the blade and all heck broke loose as it ripped the drive side cover off the lt40 bending the mounting bolt, broke the holding cotter pin and cable, and bent the shield and killed the motor. Of course wrecked that blade.  Can only figure that the bark wedged between the blade and the shield warping the shield enough that it pulled the shield in to the blade resulting in the pull off. Took 5 lb sledge big rock and 30 minutes to straighten the shield enough to re mount it.

4 hours in to the job the fuel line ruptured where it goes in to the motor. Hillbilly rigged it by cutting off 2 inches. 
that lasted a couple hours then the line ruptured again in middle and it was off to Auto Zone for new fuel line. I had replace all the fuel lines 2 years ago. (hate ethanol fuel) another 30 minutes of travel and repair time.

Found a last years wood chuck den in the middle of the log pile over a yard of dirt half burying 2 logs. I could not cant hook them out. So thanks to Magicmans photo of using the log clamp to skid a log, I was able to use my log tongs chain and the log clamp and loading arms to roll the logs out to use the cant hooks to roll them up on the loading arms.

Last but not least with 2 logs left to go I ran the mill out of fuel. It would not start being fuel injected I have never had this problem before. Finally popped line off engine and fuel under pressure sprayed every where. Put it back together and engine started right up. Finished up the job with no further issues.

OH couple other things, day before job I took gas tank off and went to gas station to fill tank after topping off the tank split in a corner when putting in back of truck. A call to Wood-Mizer found that tank is out of stock for several weeks, due to changes in manufacture's mid to end of May for new tank. They did walk me through patching methods that have been working. I did happen to have some epoxy plastic weld and was able to patch the tank.    The Customer promised to have a off bearer help, you guessed it he showed up at 10 and left at 1 and came back at 4 drinking beer. I had to ask that he just watch and not help.

All in all the customer was well pleased with the lumber that was sawed.  I had estimated 10 hours and was there 11 1/2 hours I did not charge for the repair time or lunch which they provided. Billed for just 10 hours.

I hope to never have problems I had on this job ever again.

Would like to hear other horror stories from other sawyers. 
2006 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 with command control (I hate walking in sawdust)
US Army National Guard (RET) SFC

sandsawmill14

horror story ???  that sounds like a normal day for me ::)  last thursday i let a log slip and bent the chainsaw bar went and got a new got back to the mill and split 2 8 ft logs and the muffler broke off after a 40mile drive one way and 3 hours later i got new muffler on and liked about a foot finishing the next 8' cut and blew the spark plug out >:( had already put a heli coil in so it scrapped the the cylinder just got the new one about 15 minutes ago so not sawing this afternoon so i can fix the saw hopefully :)  but we did saw for 3 hours this morning ruined 2 blades and a guide roller bearing locked up >:( sometimes i think i will just quit >:( but 30 minutes later i cant think of anything i had rather be doing :D :D :D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

tnaz

Man, maybe I don't need to buy a mill???

Y'all stay safe.

Terry

terrifictimbersllc

With all that to only lose 1.5 hr of charged time you must be doing most everything right.  Keep up the good work.  smiley_clapping
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Tom L

some days everything just goes right, smooth as silk, and make a lot of money

other days , you spend 2 hrs prepping and maintenance , get up at 5am to make sure you are on time
and a half mile down the road , on the first bump, your trailer reminds you that you forgot to raise the front jack, that just broke off and blew your favorite tire.

sandsawmill14

Quote from: tnaz on April 25, 2016, 12:57:00 PM
Man, maybe I don't need to buy a mill???

Y'all stay safe.

Terry

if it all went smooth it wouldnt be any fun ;D :D :D :D

on a side note got the cylinder changed on the 441 mag and it runs great ;D now we will have to see for how long :)

derhntr

It don't look like my repair cost are as high as you guys WHEW ;D

LaneC

Sandsawmill14, I did that once with a 24" bar on a good Stihl chainsaw. It bent at a perfect 90 degree and got stuck in a huge pine tree. I had to take the thing off the saw. Of course the chain got kinked and it was toast as well. I thought I may could put a patent on the bent bar, but I knew I could never bend another one perfectly again :D :D. Of course the wind picked up in the wrong direction so I had to have my wife make sure anyone who came down our road would "hurry up" past the tree, until I went to town and luckily found a new bar and chain. I guess this could be a horror story, it sure was for me.
Man makes plans and God smiles

WV Sawmiller

derhntr,

Murphy loves sawmills. I think you will find the severity of the problems encountered will be directly proportional to the distance you are from home. My last breakdown was 45 miles from home in an area with no cell phone service. Had to bring the mill home, trouble shoot a bit here and WM sent me the repair part in a hurry and we got back going. Embarrassing but not the end of the world - nobody was hurt.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

I had an alternator failure while sawing 236 miles from home.  WM overnighted me a new one and I was back to sawing the next day with very little lost time.  I will start a saw job ~60 miles away tomorrow.

I changed the engine oil. replaced the oil/fuel filters, and made a minor side support adjustment today.   move_it
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

4x4American

Yep, some times you're the train and some times you're the track..

My first portable job went awful.  I had went and looked at the job prior, the site was steep, and the ground was slick..steep getting in too, culvert on both sides of roughed in driveway, off of a 55mph road, one way in, one way out, very tight.  The logs were on the wrong side and in a heaped mess.  They had been cut 2-3 years ago.  Popple, spruce, and pine, various sizes, and bucked/trimmed the farmer method, looked like a boy scout was turned loose on the logs and the only tool he had was a butter knife.  I asked the feller to grade the site best he could with his backhoe, move the logs to the other side, and stack em in a neat pile so I could roll them onto my loader arms.  I brought the mill over and set it up the friday night before after work.  The site wasn't graded, and it looked like he had a helicopter come in, pick up all the logs with a big strap, then dropped them on the other side from Mars.  Oh well, first portable job, 10 hours on the mill, I was bent on sawing some lumbah.  Next morning got there at sunup, almost slide my pickup truck into the mill on the snotty clay that was froze underneath, but thawed on the top.  Truck sitting on bald radials.  He gave me the keys to a 555 Ford backhoe that sneezed to life after quite a bit of cranking and a snort of ether. I chained and pulled my pickup out of the way of the mill with the backhoe, then parked it at the back end of the mill, to use the backhoe bucket to chain logs and drag them to the loader arms.  I had just used the backhoe, but now, after I parked it, the backhoe doesn't work at all.  After awhile I had figured out it, can't remember what the problem was, but got it going.  First log was a pine.  Swung it over and when I let off the valve, the backhoe kept a swingin' and the only thing that stopped it was the loader arm on the mill...the log was small, got a few boards and 2x's out of it (we're doing this on the shares btw).  Next log, popple, stringy bark falling off.  Just into first cut, some bark pulled off, got gummed up in my drive chain, and popped the chain off, and the carriage roller was rolling on the chain, boogering it right up.  Now what to do?  I'm a jackin and a pryin and a carryin on.  After about three hours, I finally had it back together, unboogered the roller best I could, and fought the chain back on there.  Ok, I'm tossing this log and getting a different one.  Go to start up the Ford.  Not a chance.  No cranking, no nothing.  I played with the Ford for about an hour, and couldn't get it started.  The heck with this job, I'm pulling out.  Not worth the gray hairs.  But the backhoe is parked in the way of the hitch, and blocking the only road out.  So I use some leverage, sweat, and grunt, and get the hitch accessible to my pickup truck.  At this time, an old family friend came by to check on me.  A big break.  He helps me get hooked up and then goes to block traffic, as I put it into 4 low and pull the truck and mill through the culvert up onto the road.  (It wasn't a deep culvert...I thought)...so I hammer the heck down, that Cummins just a bellerin'.  Noises that would make nails on a chaulk board seem pleasing to the ears filled the air, as traffic is stopped watching black smoke and sparks flying, my redneck friend hollerin' HAMMER DOWN!  Dogs are howling, cows are mooing, glasses are breaking...etc...  A hollywood moment.  We get her up out of there, and I start going down the line.  I hit the brakes and hear a BANG!  What in the holy heck was that   ???   My friend, who was driving in his car in front of me at the time, heard it too.  We stopped and I made me a study.  Yep.  I forgot to bolt the headrig down.  No biggie, the loader arms stopped it.  I bolt it down and then make it home.  I sent the guy an email and said that was the worst day I've had in a long DanG time, I don't intend to ever make it back, and may the Lord have mercy on whoever might saw them logs, but it sure as heck ain't gonna be me!  He understood, and was happy with the little bit of lumber I left him.  That backhoe sat where I left it by the road for I wanna say a few months before I seen it was moved outta there.  Logs still set there, far as I know.

On the bright side, I had one of the best days ever on a portable job today.  Clean logs, great helper who did the work of 2 men, only used 2 blades and sawed 2mbf of 7/8" x random x 8-16' pine in about 5-1/2 - 6 hours.  Getting better.  Accuset II had 5-10 brain farts where had to restart the computer but no biggie.  8)
Boy, back in my day..

sandsawmill14

lane  my bar was bent just a little i could buck logs with no problems but i couldnt rip the big logs with it  :-\  i wasnt to bad though i had already worn out 12-15 chains with that bar so it was pretty well used anyway :) just glad it wasnt  my 28" bar its only on its second chain :)

4x4 glad to here you had a good day smiley_thumbsup maybe it will rub off on some of the rest of us :D

jmouton

hey  derhtnr ,, we had a similar day on sun,  dont feel bad it happens ,,, we will be more prepared next time ,,wont we, :D :D

jim
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

derhntr

No more drinking soda when reading 4X4 posts :D burns the nose when it comes out.

Dad2FourWI

Well, I have to admit that I have not taken any jobs off the farm...  ;D

... but I also have to admit, as I read 4x4's post... you have a way with words!!!! You certainly made a bad day fun to listen to!

My father always said.... "the worst day on the farm was still better than the best day behind a desk-job" ... well, there are days, but most of the time we agree!

Thanks for the great thread!!!  :D :D

-Dad2FourWI
LT-40, LT-10, EG-50, Bobcat T750 CTL, Ford 1910 tractor, tree farmer

Brian C.

Oh and Jim forgot to say Saturday before that Sunday wasn't a sweet set up either. Had to drag logs out with the truck after the customer went to buy a tow strap. One of the logs was 9ft long and almost 40" in diameter. Lift arms didn't like it one bit and mill rock a bit but hotter done and I was stiffened sore for 3 days. Enjoyed the heck out of it!

Stephen1

My second job of the year, my 1st was at home and the mill ran great.
I am cutting larch, sappy as all get out, sawing great and then all of a sudden blade is diving, change blade, dives again, change blade, dives again, change blade, saws 1 log and dives. Check alignment now, oh yeah here we go, spend 4 hrs aligning the mill, with the help of the WM tech Brian on the phone, no he was not on the phone for 4 hrs, more like 30 mins. Get home at 830 at night. Back in the morning, sawing great now, oh, now no hydraulics.
I call WM and wait till lunch is over and the Tech Brian spends a good 45 mins trouble shooting the problem. electrical of course, my nemis, guess what, it is the new solenoid I purchased last september along with the new hydraulic motor. They shipped me a new solenoid to the work site. 8)
3 days to do a 10 hr job.
Such is the life of a Sawyer ;D
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

sprucebunny

Partly frozen, knotty red oak.

Never went out again.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

shakebone

The only way to come out sawmilling is to QUIT ,haha the cluster fairy hangs out with us regularly too !
Lt40 super desiel , LT 35 hyd , New Holland ls 180 , Case 75xt ,
So many logs so little time.

AnthonyW

Quote from: shakebone on May 06, 2016, 10:42:21 PM
The only way to come out sawmilling is to QUIT ,haha the cluster fairy hangs out with us regularly too !

I still don't understand how the laws of sawmilling and laws thermodynamics are related, but the are.

The laws of thermodynamics:
0) You must play
1) You can win
2) You can't break even
3) You can't quit
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

sandsawmill14

Quote from: shakebone on May 06, 2016, 10:42:21 PM

i always heard the surest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill was to start with 2 million ;D :D :D

Carson-saws

terrifictimbersllc.....Thats what I like...a positive mental attitude....It is the toils and tribulations that make this so much fun right?   The end results usually make up for the "phopahs" that happen in between.  pretty much any day milling is a great  day.
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

rl

THERE IS DAY LIKE THAT.. I ALWAYS LOOK AT JOB BEFORE I GET THERE..[ I DIDN'T USE TO BUT HAVE LEARNED]  IF BREAK DOWNS WERE PREDICTABLE WE WOULD ALL FIX THEM BEFORE WE WENT TO JOB..I ASK-DEMAND MORE FROM CUSTOMER THAN I USE TO..THIS SPRING HAS GONE DECENT,NO MAJOR BREAK DOWNS, WORST PROBLEM WAS TOOK MILL IN ON MONDAY, WEDNESDAY MORNING COULD NOT GET TRUCK BACK TO IT [MUD] WALKED IN FINISHED JOB THAT DAY.. MILL LIVED THERE FOR 8 DAYS BEFORE I COULD GET IT OUT
rl

4x4American

NO NEED TO YELL I CAN HEAR YOU FROM NYS!!!   :D :D :D
Boy, back in my day..

derhntr

Saw that 4x4 had posted so I put soda down before opening.  ::)

Thank You Sponsors!