iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Starting My homemade bandsaw mill build

Started by Kwill, April 24, 2016, 08:05:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kwill

Hello forum long time lurker first time poster. I am in the process of building my first bandsaw mill. It is going to based off the bill rake design. I have been gathering materials at the moment. The  big use of my sawmill will be cedar. I have a farm full of nice size cedar trees that I would like to mill out and make lumber for projects. I appreciate any info or advice you guys can offer.  8)
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

Ox

My advice would be to read each homemade mill thread on this forum and use different ideas that you like.  It would take time, but if you've been a longtime lurker perhaps you've already done this.  Also, just tack weld parts together and then make sure they fit together properly first before final welding.  This could save you a lot of cutting later.  Don't ask me how I know.  ::) :D
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Kwill

Here is my metal for the saw frame.Got to find a long reach debur bit to grind the weld on the inside of the 3x3 sliders then i will start with the build.
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Kwill

Quote from: Ox on April 24, 2016, 08:08:34 PM
My advice would be to read each homemade mill thread on this forum and use different ideas that you like.  It would take time, but if you've been a longtime lurker perhaps you've already done this.  Also, just tack weld parts together and then make sure they fit together properly first before final welding.  This could save you a lot of cutting later.  Don't ask me how I know.  ::) :D
Yes sir i have been reading up on all the sawmill builds. Lots of good ideas and info here for sure.
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

thecfarm

I'm always pushing the go long part. I have a mill that can cut 20 foot logs. Gives me four feet of extra rail,not 6 inches, to put a 16 foot log on. Helps to get the head out of the way too. Good luck with your build.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Kwill

Quote from: thecfarm on April 24, 2016, 08:19:54 PM
I'm always pushing the go long part. I have a mill that can cut 20 foot logs. Gives me four feet of extra rail,not 6 inches, to put a 16 foot log on. Helps to get the head out of the way too. Good luck with your build.
I havent really decided what size my track will be. I am currently in north dakota working and have better access to metal and a nice place to work on it. Im going to build the head while up here and if i find a boat trailer reasonable priced while here i will build the track.
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Kwill.  Nice Crappy.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

elk42

Welcome  Kwill 
   Longer is better for sure and work two at a time.

Machinist Retired, Lt15 WM 25 HP, Stihl 044, Stihl 311, Kubota M2900w/FEL, KUBOTA L4800 w/FEL,
Lincoln Ranger 10,000, stihl 034,

Kwill

Quote from: Magicman on April 24, 2016, 09:10:29 PM
Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Kwill.  Nice Crappy.   :)
Thank ya. Caught a lot of crappie in the past month before i had to come up here for work.
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

r.man

Good luck with the build. You can get square tubing that doesn't have the seam on the inside. I think one builder I saw ground a corresponding groove in the fixed tube since it was easier to do that than remove the internal seam but starting without the seam would be the easiest..
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Joe Hillmann

What are you planing to use for wheels?

Kwill

Quote from: Joe Hillmann on April 25, 2016, 10:44:56 AM
What are you planing to use for wheels?
Plans call for trailer wheel and tires.
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Kwill

Cut a groove to take care of the seam. The sliders slide nicely now.
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

squidboy51

Kwill

Good looking steel and nice straight cuts. Machining the groove for the sliders may be the cat's meow. Looks like you are off to a good start. Not familiar with the "Bill Rake Design" but will search for it and check it out.

Good luck with your build, more updates and pictures please.

I am jealous of the crappie, we are "catch and eat" here in North Fork. One of our favorite fish with hush puppies and coleslaw.

squid

Woodland Mills HM 126, Dresser 125G with 4 way bucket, 1950 Ford 8N, Stihl 048 and MS170, antique Clyde Iron Works (1889-1947) cant hook.

Kwill

Ran into problems once I had the sliders welded to the cross tube. The 1/4 inch 3x3 is just to tight of a fit. Going to get some 3/16 3x3 which will have a little more play but will be easier to work with.
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Ox

The 3/16" 3x3 is a good fit.  It's what I used, but I turned the seams in towards each other.  Seems to work just fine.  I think you'll be good.  There will be a little wobble until you get some weight hung and pushing the tubes one way or another, then it'll be tight enough to make you happy.
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Kwill

Got the uprights done and had the cross tube done but it's not working out. Back to grand forks welding for some 3/16.
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Kwill

Quote from: Ox on April 26, 2016, 07:21:08 PM
The 3/16" 3x3 is a good fit.  It's what I used, but I turned the seams in towards each other.  Seems to work just fine.  I think you'll be good.  There will be a little wobble until you get some weight hung and pushing the tubes one way or another, then it'll be tight enough to make you happy.
Yeah I should have listen to the little voice in my head that said buy 3/16 ;D
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Ox

The voices in my head tell me that the voices in your head are crazy.  :D

You had good intentions with the thicker wall and now you'll have some stout stuff that you will be able to use somewhere else!  Not a waste by any means.

Kwill

Kinda bummed it didn't work out cause I would have had the frame together. O well there's always tomorrow  8)
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kwill

Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Kwill

Been busy planting and haven't had time to work on the mill. But this evening I done a little more to it. Got the 3/16 and now the sliders work perfect. This is what I have done so far.

Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Ox

Kwill

Getting my pulleys and winch mounted up

Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Thank You Sponsors!