iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

forwarding materials

Started by doug olsen, April 23, 2016, 09:26:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doug olsen

Presently I have my sawmill set up on my trapline. Over the winter, I was able to bring out sawn material, with my pickup and 16' utility trailer. Now I still have a lot to saw but my access roads are not useable by truck unless it is a very dry summer.
So, I am looking into fabbing up a "bunk type" trailer, with extendable pole, suitable to pull behind my quad.
I haven't decided if I will use quad type tires or 15" auto tires mounted on a reversed/inverted drop axle for the clearance I need thru some rutted trails. I'm sure I can dream up something but some ideas from you guys would certainly be helpful
--- so my dreams don't become nightmares.. pics would be helpful..Thx for any help ---forwarded....hehe
LT 15/portable trlr., 580 Case hoe/thumb, JD 570 Skidsteer (bkn.) 500 Rubicon quad

r.man

If you are going to fabricate from scratch and have four wheels I would suggest building a scaled down version of the running gear from a farm wagon. Farmers are a frugal bunch that build to last so the design would be good. If not from scratch I would consider a small boat trailer for the back end to save time. As to the front you have to choose between steering with the front wheels or pivoting the whole front end under the front bunk, again like the two versions of a farm wagon that were common.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

John Mc

You might be able to borrow some ideas from these ATV Trailers made by Woodland Mills in Canada.

Both have walking beam suspension, will haul 2000#, and have an easily removable dump bed (which will dump up to 60˚ angle). The T-Rex trailer has a boom with a hand winch for loading logs (which will lift up to 440#), but the boom geometry limits it to dumping a 650# load. The Woodland trailer loses the boom and has a redesigned upright which allows it to dump the full 2000# load. Since there is no boom on this model, the bed will latch in a partially dumped position, and use the tailgate as a ramp to winch logs up into the bed.

Their video comparing the two models might be interesting to see some of what went into the design.

DR Power cloned an older version of the T-Rex, but that version has a max 35˚ dump angle. They did add an electric hoist option, as well as an option for a pin hitch on the back of the trailer so you can haul something else behind it (like a log splitter, if you are working on firewood).
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

69bronco

jaysaint

if i was building a trailer i would use a walking beam design like the quad trailers they use in alaska for hauling big loads  i.e.  a whole moose. not so tippy.  good luck hope this helps
grandburg mill,  stihl 066 husky 562 xp,  felling axe    oh also lt 10

DDW_OR

doug olsen
would be nice if the ATV trailer was highway capable. that way you would not have to load the lumber twice.
or role the ATV trailer onto a flatbed trailer, then strap the two together for the highway.
"let the machines do the work"

Thank You Sponsors!