iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Faux Cordwood Wall

Started by Jeff, April 23, 2016, 08:19:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

This spring we tore a stone wall out that used to be at our front entrance. (link) It was nice looking, but very obtrusive. Once the flowering crab tree died, (link) it was an easy decision to go ahead and redo the front entry, and that is what we are working on now.

So, I got the wood-mizer fired up and made some cookies out of some of the cedar I had here. I cut a hunk of treated plywood to fit the area I wanted to address on the entry way. I then painted that to hopefully emulate the color of mortar.  I then arranged all the cedar cookies on the board and screwed them on from the back. We could then afic the entire sheet of plywood to the wall, and it can be removed if we want to do something else.  The picture below shows it dry fitted.  It has to come out so I can pour the concrete where the dirt behind the wall was. I have some other ideas for finishing off the new treated berm wall with cedar logs. Again, can;t do that until the concrete is poured, and they will do that when they pour my polebarn floor.

To cut the cookies I cut some logs in short lengths, then strapped them together in a bundle. Stood the bundle up and secured it to the mill, then sliced away.  When I got down to my strap, I took the bundle apart then screwed the remaining log ends to a board, and finished slicing them up.  The blade I used has been on that mill getting rusty for about two years, but it worked fine for this.  I'll change it before cutting any lumber though.  The mill ran well, but my feed is really jumpy for some reason, so I just pushed the head through the cookie cuts.

All in all, I think our Faux Cordwood wall looks really good!

Pictures begin with the stone wall that was there that needed to go.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WDH

Wow.  That really changes the entrance.  Looks great.  You are going to enjoy that extra space. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

LAZERDAN

Well that looks pretty dan g   good.  All in a days work.
                                                                                    Lazerdan

Jeff

I need to figure out what I am going to seal the cedar with. I don't want a stain, just something clear that I can spray on if someone has some suggestions?

Gearbox

Jeff I showed that wall to my wife now she wants one but this summer project list is full .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Ox

Gosh, I've always loved the look of cordwood walls.  Looks really nice.  A suggestion for a clear spray on is spar urethane.  I love the stuff.  It shines up a bit, not glassy but a warm gloss.  It works on metal, wood, stone.  I love the stuff and it lasts for at least several years out of direct sunlight.  Periodic re-application would be required eventually, of course!  It seems like nothing lasts forever.  :)
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Magicman

Looking good.  Helmsmen has the UV inhibitors that you may need.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

What ever you decide to seal it with, I am assuming you will lay the wall down flat and give it a good soaking.   :)

While your over there shooting water balloons, I'll sneak over there and write my name on one of them.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Corley5

What about soaking them with/in linseed oil? 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

WDH

I was thinking an oil, too.  Like 100% pure tung oil.  Spar urethane will peel as it weathers. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

wndwlkr65

Maybe boiled linseed oil ?

Corley5

Some AW32 would probably do just as well  ;) ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

barbender

That looks really nice, Jeff!  I love the look of cordwood walls, too. 
Too many irons in the fire

Gary_C

The question is will you be happy when the log ends turn the normal aged color, probably black or grey or do you want to prevent that discoloration? I doubt just oils will stop the color change.

Maybe the same stain that is on the rest of the siding?

Very nice fix by the way.  8)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

gfadvm

Quote from: Ox on April 23, 2016, 08:53:25 PM
Gosh, I've always loved the look of cordwood walls.  Looks really nice.  A suggestion for a clear spray on is spar urethane.  I love the stuff.  It shines up a bit, not glassy but a warm gloss.  It works on metal, wood, stone.  I love the stuff and it lasts for at least several years out of direct sunlight.  Periodic re-application would be required eventually, of course!  It seems like nothing lasts forever.  :)

The "out of direct sunlight" is critical. Helmsman Spar Urethane will peel/crack in a very short time if exposed to Oklahoma sun. You milage may vary.

Don_Papenburg

I like Zinzer Sanding sealer, it is a dewaxed shellac  that can be coated over without sanding as needed . just clean and coat . The varnish will melt into the old .I like it for outside doors  without a paint job.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

21incher

That looks great. You may want to come up with some kind of termite/ant shield to keep bugs from making tunnels between the wall and plywood with it being less then 8" of ground clearance. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

timberlinetree

Neat and original. Nice job!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Jeff

Quote from: 21incher on April 24, 2016, 06:11:48 AM
That looks great. You may want to come up with some kind of termite/ant shield to keep bugs from making tunnels between the wall and plywood with it being less then 8" of ground clearance. :)

There will be concrete underneath it, plus, it is northern white cedar and pressure treated plywood over plastic lined treated plywood. I don't think there will be a problem. We also already have a wood foundation that hasn't had an issue in 32 years.  :)

red

There is a very smart business man on here that sells lots of Cedar products . I can't remember his name ?  His son may sell.mulch in another state . . . I think he is the go to man for this question
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Jeff

What is the question?  :) cedarman is an erc guy.

From the research I'm doing this morning, the cordwood guru's say don't seal. The beauty of the fake wall, is if it turns into something we don't like, it is easily changed out.

Bruno of NH

My 2 cents linseed oil
Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Ox

I've done a few projects with boiled linseed oil and Helmsman spar urethane.  It leaves the most beautiful finish to my eyes.

Jeff, do they say not to seal for vapor/moisture purposes?  As in you need to let the wall "breathe" a bit reducing the trapped moisture inside the wood blocks with a sealed end?
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Jeff

Yes. Moisture is the enemy of cord wood, and end grain according to Rob Roy's books, you should not seal cord wood construction walls on the exterior. Interior is different.  Sealing can lead to trapped moisture and additional maintenance and upkeep.  We are going to try to let it weather naturally this first time. If we don't like the results of that, this is very easy to try again by simply removing the entire plywood sheet. Its a fun project anyhow  :)

Thank You Sponsors!