iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

need a barn expert near northern VA asap

Started by LKasdorf, October 28, 2004, 10:08:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LKasdorf

I need to find sombody that I can hire to replace a couple of bad timbers on my 1849 bank barn. I recently finished moving into this great old farm, but my tools (woodworking and machine shop) are all out in the weather until I can get a 36' timber replaced, as well as a couple of vertical posts which are looking pretty bad.

I've chased down a couple of leads with no luck. I am getting desperate, as winter is approaching and i need to get my barn usable before then.

I actually have a suitable sawmill that I could use to mill timbers, but it was in need of a bit of work, and then was completely submerged in a flood last year (long story- but suffice it to say I spent the last 13 months fixing up the old flooded house, getting it sold, and moving). So, it is a pretty big project getting the sawmill back in operation.

Anybody know of any suitable resources in or near Leesburg VA? This is not that far from MD, WV or even PA.

I also need somebody with a concrete breaker on a bobcat to chip out a crude slab on the ground level. I need to get it out so I can pour a new slab (with radiant heat tubing!) before winter.

Thanks
Lynn Kasdorf

jgoodhart

If you have any Amish in the area, I would stop and chat with them they might beable to give you a lead. The barns I see being worked on around here are all being repaired by Amish but I don't think they would travel that far for work.

DanG

Hi Lynn. I was wondering what happened to ya. Sounds like you have been a busy lad for the last year or so. Sorry to hear about the flood...sounds like a real PITA!

Can't really help with the barn. Maybe if you posted some pics of the beam situation, some of these timberframing type guys will have some ideas. ???
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

beetle

Too many hobbies...not enough time.

Thank You Sponsors!