iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

White Ash Dying, Upstate NY

Started by XP_Slinger, April 23, 2016, 08:27:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

XP_Slinger

Morning Gents,

The dominant species in my woods is white ash followed by hard maple.  I've noticed that quite a few of my larger ash trees have thinning tops.  My first suspicion was the EAB but after a thorough inspection of several of the trees that are presenting I found no evidence of the insect.  I found no "D" shaped holes in the bark, no sprout shoots on the trunks in abnormal places and found no switch back larva trails under the bark on a tree I recently dropped for firewood that had a thinning top.  Is it possible that these trees have simply run out of nutrients in the ground that keep them healthy?  My woods haven't been logged in 75 years and all the trees that are presenting symptoms are generally 25" or bigger at the stump.  The younger trees seem to be doing just fine.
   If it is a soil nutrition issue; What trees should I drop to help the trees recover?  Drop smaller ones near the big trees?  Or drop the bigger tree to let the smaller ones take over? 
  If I have not provided enough information to receive guidance in your profession please let me know and I will provide what ever is needed.  Unfortunately, the leaves have not come out yet otherwise I would post a pic of the thinning tops to aide in diagnosis.
346XP/NE
357XP...ported by MeDremel
372XP/XT...ported by A. Burr
Homelite (Solo) 340

I'd rather be in the woods than on this computer.

Ron Wenrich

There may be a few other things going on.  Why do you think the smaller trees are younger than the bigger ones?  Size is not necessarily an indication of age.  If your stand was logged 75 years ago, you may have an even aged stand, and those smaller trees would be the same size as the older trees, especially if they're growing under the main canopy.  If they are the same age, trying to release them would not have all that good of results.

Another factor may be that you have too many trees and that the canopy has closed up.  That means there is no room for crown expansion.  Eventually, the stand will thin itself.  Growth will stagnate and the trees will decline in vigor.  That makes them more susceptible to disease.

You may very well have a host of diseases that attack ash.  Ash yellows, ash decline, anthracnose, wilt, root rot and rust all are ash diseases.  Here is a list that may be helpful:  http://extension.psu.edu/pests/plant-diseases/all-fact-sheets/ash-diseases

A forester familiar with your area may help you identify your problem.  Perhaps the extension service in your area.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

XP_Slinger

Thanks very much for the information.  Your point about the canopy is a perspective I had not thought of.  The peculiar thing is the large trees that are most noticeably dying are the ones on the edge of my yard where sun is abundant.

346XP/NE
Homelite (Solo) 340

petefrom bearswamp

Maybe Ash yellows?
Call your local DEC office.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

XP_Slinger

Non of my trees are brooming as of yet.  Regardless, I will get a hold of my DEC and see if they can come take a look for me.  Thanks.
346XP/NE
Homelite (Solo) 340

Thank You Sponsors!