iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BT-6870 built by two old guys

Started by svart ole, April 22, 2016, 10:19:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

svart ole

This is what happens when two old guys have no adult supervision.

My wife said I collect junk, I told her I am a amateur industrial archaeologist just trying to save valuable artifacts.

r.man

Looks good. Does the saw travel down instead of pivoting? Have you run it much?
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

svart ole

Up and down on V rollers. Did a few short tests, waiting for the paint to get hard.
My wife said I collect junk, I told her I am a amateur industrial archaeologist just trying to save valuable artifacts.

Gearbox

A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

svart ole

Point of fact, he is the OLDER old guy.

sprucebunny

Looks good !!
I like the brooms... my kind of engineering  :D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Ox

Good ol' backwoods engineering.  Lots of heavy steel in it.  I love it.  Any chance of getting a video up showing it in operation for us?
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Gearbox

Soon as the paint hardens a bit . Just aired up the tires . Sunday ??
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

thecfarm

Looking forward to more pictures.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

r.man

Ok I will be the one to bite, why BT-6870, is it first initials and ages?
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Gearbox

r . man you win the prize . 2 blocks of split red oak but you have to come to MN to get them . Bob 70 Ted 68 .

Hilltop366

lopet

Interesting design.    Like that lime green  too. :)
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Deeprut

What kinda bristles are in the brooms?

svart ole

Deeprut,

Palmyra bristles, they resemble split bamboo and are quite stiff. The broom heads where available locally. Time will tell how the bristles hold up in the wet weather. The paint should help keep them from getting soggy.

Gearbox

Ace has them called driveway broom . Morning Ted

GAB

Quote from: r.man on April 22, 2016, 09:14:19 PM
Ok I will be the one to bite, why BT-6870, is it first initials and ages?

Is the BT-7072 on the drawing board yet?

The funniest drawing I remember seeing was of a toilet seat.  In the revision block for Rev A it read "added hole in middle".
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

svart ole

GAB.

We regularly discuss future projects at or frequent planning and evaluations meetings. The meetings are normally held mid morning and or mid afternoon and most often involve coffee cups and cake pieces. Although bars, cookies and rolls are more often on the table. We seldom use the drawing board as a scrap piece of wood or the end of a block of wood is normally used. Design involves the frequent use of our two on board data bases and access to the whatworkshistory folder. As of late the individual files in the folder do not always open of the first try. I understand that this may be a RAM issue and is not uncommon in older models.

bigblue12v

Lol! You guys are a hoot! Wish you were my neighbors we'd get into a lot of trouble! I'm younger but we could make a BTE-697130 model! Lol
Anxiously looking forward to videos of it in action. How about details on the heart and soul in this thing while we wait on paint (engine, hydraulic system specs and layouts, saw details etc)

Eric
Lots of junk not enough time.. full time mechanic part time logger, firewood junkie, outside boiler owner, meat smoker enthusiast, fabricator, dad, husband

Ox

You guys are a hoot!  The wit and candor is always amusing.  Your wit, sir, is legendary.
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Gearbox

You guys aren't going to get too many details yet and the vid coming up may be from a bit far away .  will release details as you guys pick up on them . It is different than most builds .

bigblue12v

Aww now don't be this way.... Propane powered? Aircraft engine? Rotary engine? Jet turbine? 3 phase electricity? Hydrogen powered? Diesel/electric hybrid? 2 cylinder John Deere engine? Steam engine (wood powered??!!! The irony!)
Kinetic splitter? You're killing me here....
Lots of junk not enough time.. full time mechanic part time logger, firewood junkie, outside boiler owner, meat smoker enthusiast, fabricator, dad, husband

Ox

It could be powered by a flux capacitor with a re-bi-cycling system for the headlight fluid, which in turn jettisons past the radiator at a speed just under the speed of light, allowing the manifold to spark sufficiently enough to capture the excess energy in a double wrapped electron storing device (a battery) which is used to energize a highly efficient light emitting diode (LED light), illuminating the lug nuts, thereby allowing the user to more easily check the hydraulic pressure in aforementioned lug nuts.  ;D

Gearbox

Gas powered with 91 @ 50 to 1 Amsoil . In a 272 Huskey . STAY TUNED

svart ole

I thought about this engine but the only place it would fit was on the gooseneck and that was not a option. Picture the guy in the blue hard hat sitting on the deck with a coffee cut in his hand. This is a long video so be warned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa9-pUGJQa8

There is one motor other than the saw that at this point is a 272 Husky with the option of other saws like a 394XP. Only one hydraulic device driven by the second gas engine and the rest is driven by DC gear reduction motors.

We have wet weather for the next few days with any luck I can post a video by the end of the coming week. As they say a picture is worth a thousand words. We promise not to keep you in the dark for too much longer. Maybe just a little bit. I want to show the critter in operation, I figure that will clear things up to some extent.  The setup is somewhat unconventional so there is no fun in just telling the whole story all at once, there is no entertainment value in that.

As a side note the tank engine in the video link above was used to run a sawmill at one point. NOT by me. Having a MOS of 67N20 the guy who bought it wanted me to get it started for him so he knew it would run. Had fun doing it. 

Some history on the engine here.  http://www.enginehistory.org/Diesels/Ch3.pdf

Thank You Sponsors!