iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BT-6870 built by two old guys

Started by svart ole, April 22, 2016, 10:19:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

North River Energy

What about using a few lengths of salvaged hot water baseboard?

Gearbox

N R E That might work but I think the wife may have something to say about me useing our baseboard . Even if we don't use it in the summer .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Ox

Crap.  I'm such a dunce.  Somehow I read what you were doing as you using a tranny cooler.  Crap.  Well, I hope this next one will work out better for you.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

North River Energy

What, no salvage yards out your way?
Craigslist, perhaps?

Gearbox

Solved the oil heat problem for now . Set up a box fan blowing over the cylinder , controls and tank dropped the temp a lot 142 degrees after a cord in an hour . I can live with that until I get a cooler made .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Corley5

What about a bigger oil reservoir?
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Gearbox

I solved the heating problem for now . Added the biggest tranny cooler I could find in stock at Car Quest . Added a second fan . Changed to ISO 46 oil . I am still running 140 plus at the pump body around 120 on the tank . We will see what happens when the weather warms up in the spring .

dave_dj1

WOW, that thing is amazing, great job. I want to build one but I have no need for one..lol.
I have some parts already though. Just need some time and money. Keep the pics and vids coming, you know how we like pics and vids.
Thanks,
Dave

barbender

The BT-6870 in action, if my link works. Bob, was this the job right off of the River Road?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sEtEb6X68sM
Too many irons in the fire

Gearbox

Yes Birch and Tamrack . Ran well Birch not as well as Tamrack . Thanks for the help .

barbender

So the birch processed better, or the tamarack? Some of the worst stuff I have ran through my splitter is black spruce, the fiber is just tangled up and doesn't like to let go. And your welcome, all I did is copy the address and paste it into the post. If I can do it, I know you can figure it out ;)
Too many irons in the fire

Gearbox

Barbender Birch will not slide on the steel chute Pam cooking spray helps but it still tangles up . mostly because of small and crooked wood . Tamarack splits well and is just fun to run .
Barbender I can build machines but know nothing about computers that is what FF friends are for.

svart ole

My wife said I collect junk, I told her I am a amateur industrial archaeologist just trying to save valuable artifacts.

dave_dj1

You'll have to give us more to go on!  ::)

Gearbox

Dave what is it you would like to know .

dave_dj1

I guess I miss understood, I didn't realize the video was already posted, I was waiting for a new one.
I dig it man, I want to build one for no other reason than the self satisfaction of building one.
Keep up the good work.

Gearbox

Last add on was a 200 watt inverter to run the oil cooling fans and a new battery . Will have to see if the Briggs has enough alternator to keep the battery up . Next update may be a while Deer season Grouse hunting and a little lumber to saw . SNOW expected tonight wood piles all under cover .

archertwo

Husqvarna 254XP x3
Red Max 5300 x3
Kubota 62 & 85 HP two 203T loaders on 9 Ton wagons one with a 40LF PATU delimber & GMT 035 felling head
homemade firewood processor
www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxLwTiRxf3c
www.youtube.com/watch?v=O01xr7dVAAA
Road Trail 7X12-14,000## Dump Trailer

Gearbox

Archertwo is that processer built by you ? IF it is thanks I watched that vid on you tube and was going to use you saw mount then found vee rollers . Next mod will be a hydraulic adjustable 4 way wedge . If you look at the first post you will see the live deck is built like a descrambler . It tangles up once in a while , it holds almost a half cord .

archertwo

Yes, that's the processor I built. I tried putting in just a link but see the actual youtube vid is what I ended up with.
You or anyone else can use any of the things I built into the processor. Most of the things I used you can find in the posts on here somewhere. There are some quite knowledgeable folks on here that readily give out their information for others to benefit from.

My processor is still a work in progress. Doesn't even look like it did when I originally built it in 2009. All I was looking to build was a splitter with an elevator attached then a friend gave me a 5 handle control valve. You can't leave those with nothing connected to them right. :D :) 8)
Most of the initial framework is still intact and I added even more valves too.

I like your descrambler. I doubt it would work with the lengths of wood I use though. They are mostly 12 to 20+ feet long so quite a mixture. Mine also holds about 1/2 cord.

The 4 way is a pretty easy build however you set it up, whether the piston is above or below the wedge or pushing on a pivot point that moves the wedge up and down.
Husqvarna 254XP x3
Red Max 5300 x3
Kubota 62 & 85 HP two 203T loaders on 9 Ton wagons one with a 40LF PATU delimber & GMT 035 felling head
homemade firewood processor
www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxLwTiRxf3c
www.youtube.com/watch?v=O01xr7dVAAA
Road Trail 7X12-14,000## Dump Trailer

Gearbox

Just a update on the processer . It now has a hydraulic adjustable 4 way wedge . It will 4 way from 9 inch round to 19 inch max .  Just moved into my brothers sugar bush to clean up about 10 cord of blow down .

hedgerow

Gearbox We need some pictures of that 4 way and a new video of the processor with the four way at work. I hope the warm air is pushing your way. It is all the way up to 43 here in eastern Nebraska. A lot better than Sunday morning at minus 10 and the wind blowing. I may have to get back to working some wood myself. Have a great Christmas.

Gearbox

Hedgerow we have a heat wave here . Started every thing without a problem this morning . I think it was  20 this morning . One 1 ton load cut and split . Hydraulic issue Couldn't build pressure on low flow stage . took it apart didn't find any thing put it back together works now . Them darn woods gremlins got me .

Gearbox

Oh I just learned that I hate hard maple with knobs on it the size of your fist . A 18 inch maple + a 4 inch cylinder set at 3000 my welds didn't stand a chance . One of the knobs caught on the block holder and pushed the weld right off . An hour with the welder and a bit of finessing with a 8 pound hammer and went back and finished the job . Will think long and hard be for I do  another hard maple job . The last 6 logs were so dirty I sharpened the saw 3 times .

Ox

Dirty wood suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.  Cutting in the dark looks like 4th of July sometimes.

Nothing like some serious hydraulic pressure to check your welds, eh?  I bet mine would fail as well.  Would layering flat stock on around the worst places and welding it on help at all?  I fixed an old silage wagon this way.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Thank You Sponsors!