iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

tail lights

Started by trapper, April 21, 2016, 10:31:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trapper

1987 lt30.  Has anyone updated the 1157 tail light bulb with either LED replacement bulbs or complete tail light assemblys?  If so where did you get them?  Don't pull the mill at night but think they would be better in daylight also.
Thanks
Marv
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

terrifictimbersllc

I haven't had a lick of trouble since I updated my LT40 tail lights, and the clearance lights on the passenger side of the tube,  with Peterson LEDs.  I don't have any trailers with bulbs anymore, in fact I threw out two 1157 bulbs yesterday.

At the time I couldn't find LEDs for the two little clearance lights on the drivers side.  The total bill was $89 including shipping.  The tail lights were "pedestal mount" lights. The side clearance lights I think were 2" and they pressed into rubber grommets, I can't remember if I used the existing ones or got new ones.   I could probably find the exact model numbers from the receipt if you want to pm me but you shouldn't have trouble finding what you need online.   Your mill may have different lights than mine.

I got them at Foxtail Lights  http://www.foxtaillights.com   I highly recommend this place due to the knowledgable customer service help I received, the person I spoke to really knew about lights and the DOT rules concerning them.   There are so many lights I had trouble just now finding what I bought.  I suggest you measure your light diameters and how they're mounted etc. and then just call in. 

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Chuck White

Changing over to LED lights is on my list of "things to do" in the not to distant future!

Most auto-parts stores carry LED's, both the lights and the complete fixtures!

Advance Auto and Parts America both have them and there are places on line where you can get them.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

I replaced my sawmill 1157's to LED's.  Be sure to get red LED's.  The best price that I found was Walmart.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

millwright

I've been replacing all my lights, especially boat trailer that get submerged, and have had no problems at all. Wal mart has a good selection.

Chuck White

I hadn't thought of Walmart, I'll have to check it out!

I'd also like to put a small blinker light on the mill.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

I had to go online for my flasher.  LINK  Mine uses rechargeable batteries and I do not see it listed anymore.

EDIT:  I looked at the specifications and item "SL-182 Amber" is not rechargeable but is the closest to what I have.  I had to build a bracket.  Blinker Thread Reply #32.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ox

I can tell you what NOT to use.  The trailer light assembly kit from Harbor Freight.  A while ago I saw these for sale for like $15 so I figured, what the heck, I'll give it a try.  The "wires" were corroded between the copper and the insulation.  By some chance they're still working but I don't have much faith in them.  The rest of it actually wasn't too bad for $15.  I had to cut and re-do one of the splices but so far so good. 
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Chuck White

Lynn;  I could just hook onto the tail light wire, just inside the main tube at the back, install a flasher, then hook a wire leading to the light on the other leg of the flasher and mount it wherever I wanted it, but I need it to be safe and legal!

Just wouldn't want anyone to mistake it for a signal light!

terrifictimbersllc

I used to carry orange traffic cones on the rear outrigger, right above the tail light, but started to worry these could distract someone from seeing the stop light come on.   Or someone could say that they did.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

trapper

Replaced the bulbs with 1157 LED, brighter than before but not quite as bright as the complete LED assemblies I put on my other trailers.  One thing I like about the complete assembly I put on my trailers is they have 3 wires coming from the light.  I run a ground wire to each light instead of relying on grounding through the frame.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Magicman

Chuck, yes you could use your tail light wire for power.  My flasher is amber and flashes very fast so no mistaking it for the red turn signals lights.

Chuck White

Thank You Sponsors!