iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ooops

Started by cutterboy, April 21, 2016, 10:03:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cutterboy

I cut this pine down yesterday morning. It fell into the crotch of a good sized hickory and split it right down the middle! :o I then cut a log off the butt and the rest of the tree went up in the air.

So now there was a 68 foot log stuck eight feet up in the air.

I moved the tractor up to the log and raised the bucket (fel) up to it. Then I climbed up into the bucket and sawed an eight foot log off the end. I did this two more times.

Taking the weight off the butt end allowed the top to come down to the ground.

I limbed the top and cut three logs off that end. That left a 16 foot section still up in the tree.

I pushed one end of the 16 footer up with the tractor bucket which brought the other end down to the ground.

Then the tractor was able to pull the 16 footer out of the tree and onto the ground.

The hickory tree looks rather odd standing there split down the middle. Later I'll cut it down for firewood.

All the best, Cutter
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

sawguy21

:o That looks like a good way to get hurt, it must have been a little entertaining watching it shoot for the moon after the first cut.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ianab

On the positive side, you didn't have to worry about getting the chainsaw in the dirt while bucking the log   :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

mills

Mind if we laugh with you?  :D :D :D

We've all done stuff in the woods that we hoped we could get cleaned up before anyone shows up.

thecfarm

Just an "easier" way to spilt some fire wood.  :D 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

I would call that a "pinch point".
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

cutterboy

Quote from: mills on April 22, 2016, 05:28:17 AM
Mind if we laugh with you?  :D :D :D

Not at all. I was upset at first and said some words that my wife would not approve of, but after I settled down I had a good laugh at myself...especially looking at that DanG pine stuck up in the air.

cutterboy

Quote from: sawguy21 on April 21, 2016, 10:07:14 PM
  it must have been a little entertaining watching it shoot for the moon after the first cut.

Actually it didn't shoot up quickly...it just rose up slowly. I thought the pine was stuck tight in the hickory and wouldn't move.
I was expecting the pine to fall about 25 feet to the left of the hickory but I did a poor job with the back cut and left some holding wood on the right side of the stump. That pulled the tree to the right.

g_man

I like that. Nice photos too. Couldn't ask for a nicer day than yesterday - to nice. There always has to be something to fight - rule number 1.

gg

WV Sawmiller

Should have left the pine in the hickory and called the TV people and let them film a reality survivor series there. I can see Naked and Afraid or Dual Survival or such contestants building a shelter under that. You sure you didn't need your own handy dandy shed out there in the wood? Stretch a tarp over it and store your equipment or lumber or such. No fuss no muss.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Bert

Hickorys and pines must not get along. Mine went the other way though. I cut a hickory which barely caught a limb on a pine and ran down the limb into a fork. The butt of the hickory shot 20 feet or so up in the air before the pine split like yours sending both to the ground. I felt the wind off the butt of the hickory on its way up. Ooops moments happen even for experienced fallers. Im not too proud to say Ive messed up once or twice. Anything can happen in the woods.

On that particular tree I knew there was chance it could get hung but didnt want to cut the pine as it had some tree stand steps nailed to it from longs ago. Trying to work around it and the breezes just didnt blow quite right.
Saw you tomorrow!

Gearbox

If I did that I would have said Fell right where I wanted it
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

enigmaT120

Quote from: Gearbox on April 22, 2016, 01:08:59 PM
If I did that I would have said Fell right where I wanted it

That's what I was thinking.  "I meant to do that.  Yeah, that's the ticket."

I mean, think how hard it would be to do that on purpose?  Actually from reading through the advanced falling technique threads I think a bunch of you guys could do it on purpose. 
Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

petefrom bearswamp

Been there done that I wont tally the number of times but it has been quite a lot..
Unfortunate but stuff happens.
All you can do is laugh and move on
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

madmari

I call that a "Robin Hood".
I know why dogs stick thier head out the car window.

lumberjack48

You had a built in delimber if you had the power to pull it. I loved cutting White Pine with 250 to 300 bf in them, involves no limbing.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

trecher2

Its nice to know im not the only one that can turn what should be a 10 min safe task into an hour long fear for your life, wth moment, with little to no production gezzz. Usually happens on monday am or friday pm also..

treeslayer2003

thats happened to every one. didn't see it or made a little mistake, it happens. the thing is to realize what to do next with out getting hurt.

Magicman

You made a nice albeit hair raising recovery.   :)

Here is a similar natural felling that I found in Colorado.

In this instance the falling tree split.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

cutterboy

Hey Magic, I'm certainly glad it was the hickory that split and not the pine.  :D :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!