iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaw ripping chain id code?

Started by Justify008, April 21, 2016, 01:09:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justify008

I have a large pine log I need to rip some of the bell off one end and some sweep out of the other so it'll fit on my friends mill. I plan on using my trusty 385xp with 24" bar to do this. I want to ordera ripping chain to do this but cant seem to find it by just googling ripping chain. Regular chain is coded like 73lgx72 or 84lpx83. What is the code for ripping chain? Thanks for the help.

terrifictimbersllc

You've given Oregon numbers. It will be manufactured dependent. The Oregon ripping chain is 27 rx but that is a hyper skip chain for slabbers. I would think it also would work for really long bars in Alaskan milling situations but I haven't done that.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Justify008

Thanks for the reply I was looking for oregin chain because thats what I normally run unless theres another chain that works better when chain sawmilling. I looked on tye oregon website and they have 2 types or ripping chain a 27r/ra and a 72,73,75rd. The link for the 27r doesnt work but the other ine does. Anyone know the difference/ which is better for ripping pine. And anyone happen to know what the code would be for 24" .058 3/8".

terrifictimbersllc

27 will be a 0.404 pitch chain, the 70's ones are 0.375.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

I regularly do some ripping on SYP logs without any special or ripping chain.  Did today.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kcwoodbutcher

Ditto what Magicman said, regular chain actually cuts faster.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

losttheplot

DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK !

sawguy21

You would want 73RDX084E for your saw. As others have said 73LP will work just as well although the ripping chain will leave a smoother finish. It is getting hard to source, few suppliers carry it because the demand is not there.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!