iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hop hornbeam/ironwood

Started by Hiway40frank, April 20, 2016, 08:00:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hiway40frank

Hello, so recently while exploring my 50 acres I found a 3 acre stand of Hop hornbeam 6-10in D. My question is what should I do with it? Is it worth milling? From my understanding its extreamly dense and the trees I have are mature at 6in base its easly over 50 years old and Cut a 13in one blocking a road and it was well over 100 years old. Any advice would be great I would hate to see these trees go to waste because from what I can tell they are baisicly growing on bedrock and 15% of the stand is starting to up rootnin wind storms, and this is on a mountain top 1,600ft so Im guessing that has made the trees even denser. Thanks in advance for any advice or replys.

WV Sawmiller

Highway40,

Please update your profile so we know more about where you are located and equipment you are using. Sure helps answers lots of questions.

I have a few ironwood trees here on my place, mostly over and around the creek and runoffs. Haven't tried cutting any yet so I can't answer your questions.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Hiway40frank

Having trouble updating my profile but I am inthe Adirondacks and I harvest off myown land for firewood my own mill and sellinga little bit of both. Just for extra income not a full time job. Oh in on mobile so it difficult to use the internet.

derhntr

I sawed some a few years ago, pretty wood light colored with lots of specks in the board. It sawed easy too
2006 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 with command control (I hate walking in sawdust)
US Army National Guard (RET) SFC

etroup10

Hop hornbeam is really good for bow staves if it has straight grain. Most guys that build bows will want it split, not sawed, so that the stave follows the grain in the wood.
NHLA 187th class, lumber inspector. EZ Boardwalk 40 with homemade hydraulics; Gafner Hydraloader; custom built edger, Massey Ferguson 50E, American Sawmill 20" Pony Planer; Husqvarna 55 Rancher

GAB

Hiway40frank:
I cut one on my property, across the lake from you, that had a circumference at the DBH level of 51".  As derhntr said they saw very well when freshly harvested.  I have resawn some and I just slowed down a bit and all went well. 
I'm told they were used in the past for horse drawn wagon poles and also for making block planes.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Hiway40frank

Wow 51in?! Thats crazy it must of been 300-500 years old? I thought my trees where large for its sprecies. I had also read that it was used for wagon wheels when iron was in short supply. Also how does one go about splitting it for a bow? And does that mean theres a market for it and it should be harvested? Im looking at 15+ cords of the stuff.

Hiway40frank

Also it is all strait and clear I would say each tree has a good 15-20ft strait section to be milled.

GAB

Quote from: Hiway40frank on April 20, 2016, 10:48:29 AM
Wow 51in?! Thats crazy it must of been 300-500 years old? I thought my trees where large for its sprecies. I had also read that it was used for wagon wheels when iron was in short supply. Also how does one go about splitting it for a bow? And does that mean theres a market for it and it should be harvested? Im looking at 15+ cords of the stuff.

51" in circumference is only ~16" in diameter.
I told my brother that I thought that the tree was alive when Columbus discovered the new world.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

GAB

Quote from: Hiway40frank on April 20, 2016, 10:50:15 AM
Also it is all strait and clear I would say each tree has a good 15-20ft strait section to be milled.

Personally I would leave them on the stump and frequently check on them and take out the ones that crash, unless I had a buyer for them.  They make great firewood, however firewood is one step up from sawdust on the value chain in my opinion.
Gerald

Hackermatack

Very strong wood makes really good handles, the name hornbeam I believe comes from it's use for ox yokes. People around this neck of the woods often call it lever wood I suppose because it makes a good strong piece of wood to use as a lever to lift a heavy loads. Many game birds and other wildlife love the seeds. Personally If I owned a stash of Hornbeam of that size I would just harvest a few inferior trees now and then for firewood, and a good one occasionally when needed for something. I have some scattered through my woods but I doubt I could find one bigger than 6" on the stump.   
Jonsered 2230, 590, 70E. Kioti DK 35 /w fransguard winch. Hudson Oscar 236

Hiway40frank

Oh 16in is still atleast 150years at my guess. Anyone wanna see a picture of a large one I just found maybe 18in at the stump. Also i figure I wont harvest it after all because all my firewood comes from my white birch and most people I mention the trees to have never heard of hornbeam and wont buy it.

Hackermatack

Love to see a picture of your large Hornbeam tree.
Jonsered 2230, 590, 70E. Kioti DK 35 /w fransguard winch. Hudson Oscar 236

Hiway40frank

Quote from: Hackermatack on April 20, 2016, 04:07:09 PM
Love to see a picture of your large Hornbeam tree.
here is a link i could not figure out how to get them on the site. Shes not tall but about a bit over 5ft at the base. --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--/3gHD4AH,zCUYtFw,uYQOu8d,zvII9jm,41zs845

Klicker

It does make nice bow wood if it is strait split and dryed. You might want to  check the leathewall on stickbow.com or tradgang.org
2006 LT 40 HD

Thank You Sponsors!