iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How dry is it?

Started by GeneWengert-WoodDoc, April 20, 2016, 06:59:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

For the past three weeks, the relative humidity here in GA has been running under 30% RH every afternoon almost every day.  I have seen a few days under 20% RH. And it has been windy some days.  Temperatures in the afternoon have been in the 70 F range.  Very, very unusual to be so dry in the SE USA.

This is terrible oak drying weather for green or nearly green oak, hickory, beech, and some other species thicker than 6/4.  Of course, this is ideal for pine, soft maple, ash, etc.  In such dry weather with freshly sawn oak, etc., using Shade-Dri or other techniques to slow drying is essential.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Denny

Yep same deal here in Pennsylvania but not as warm.  Bright sunny breezy dry days.  Right now Im showin' 58 degrees and 19% RH. 

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

At 2 PM, April 20, 2016 we have in north GA, 69 F and 18% RH.  Unbelievable
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

WV Sawmiller

Okay - may be a dumb question but where do you get your RH readings?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

SwampDonkey

Our spring time is usually quite dry up here. Every time in the last two weeks they call for rain, it's bone dry. No one is allowed to burn anything on the ground. Today was suppose to be rain showers and the sun is out this afternoon, not a drop.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Den Socling

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on April 23, 2016, 12:27:52 PM
   Okay - may be a dumb question but where do you get your RH readings?

:) Years ago Gene and I did not agree on the reliability of RH meters. He was recommending some cheap low cost meters from Radio Shack while I was paying hundreds for scientific instruments. It will be interesting to see what he currently uses.

WDH

You can simply go to the Weather Channel website.  You can get the current temp and humidity at your location, plus hourly forecasts. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Probably same deal as up here, there are unmanned weather instruments at different locations, plus the DNR offices to as they monitor these things and fine fuel dryness for the fire weather index. One reason that they post fire danger on a sign out by the office. Plus the website. Afternoon humidity was below 50% yesterday after a weak low moved through and it was in the teens the day before.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

xlogger

Quote from: WDH on April 23, 2016, 09:40:22 PM
You can simply go to the Weather Channel website.  You can get the current temp and humidity at your location, plus hourly forecasts.
that's cheap enough
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

For outside RH, I use the Weather Channel app and the weather app that came with the I-phone.  They are quite close or the same.

With these apps,  scroll down for RH on some or just tap the temperature number and then RH shows up for others.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

The neat thing about RH measurements is that we do not need to be very precise for drying wood.  It is about 5% RH change to make only 1% MC or EMC  change, and 1% MC change is 1/5% to 1/4% shrinkage in wood...that is, it takes a 20% RH change to get 1% size change, except at very high MCs.

WDH

I did not know that you could just tap on the temp on the I-phone weather app and get the humidity.  Cool.  I know more about trees and wood than I do smart phones.  It is bad when your phone is smarter than you  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

petefrom bearswamp

Very dry here but RH as i type this is 75.
I use the NOAA app on my android
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

SwampDonkey

I don't own any of them, never took.  ;D :D

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: WDH on April 24, 2016, 07:48:23 AM
...  It is bad when your phone is smarter than you  :).

Yeah, I first noticed that problem when we got our first dial telephone and quit using the operator to connect all calls < BIG GRIN >

Herb

Den Socling

It seems that phones can do so much that nobody can sit you down and show it all to you. Sometimes I just poke or drag an area I never tried before and all kinds of new stuff comes up. I was just thinking. I've never used it as a phone.  :D

logboy

Quote from: GeneWengert-WoodDoc on April 20, 2016, 06:59:40 AM
This is terrible oak drying weather for green or nearly green oak, hickory, beech, and some other species thicker than 6/4.  Of course, this is ideal for pine, soft maple, ash, etc.  In such dry weather with freshly sawn oak, etc., using Shade-Dri or other techniques to slow drying is essential.

The obvious solution is to start storing lumber in the kiln to keep it from drying out.  ;D
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

With an i-phone, did you know that if you go to the compass, and then drag the image to the left, you will have a level.  The level tells you when things are level and also how many degrees off you are too.  And another is that you do not have to give your password to use the camera...just tap the camera icon when the phone first comes on...5 or later, but maybe even earlier.

petefrom bearswamp

I only have to rotate my wrist  a couple of times to open the camera.
Had a nice rain Monday here laid the dust and greened up the grass.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!