iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Grizzly oh no!

Started by Den Socling, April 19, 2016, 04:20:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Den Socling

Just came back from "the largest tool display on earth". We were privileged to have it nearby. They closed their show room. Boo hoo!!  :'(

submarinesailor

Den, is the warehouse still open?  Did they close just the show room?

Den Socling

There were still cars and trucks in the back of the building so I think they are still shipping from Williamsport.

yukon cornelius

Come to the Springfield location and then come north an hour and see us ;D
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

submarinesailor

I checked their new catalog and it looks like they only have the 2 locations:  Springfield and Bellingham.

petefrom bearswamp

Dont have any grizz stuff but visited their showroom in Williamsport a number of yrs ago.
Ended up buying a Bridgewood planer from Wilke machinery in York PA and they are gone too.
Both places were like a kid in the proverbial candy store
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Brian_Rhoad

Wilke is still in business. They moved to York PA.

http://chwilke.com/home.nxg

trapper

Got a table model jointer from grizzly on the way to Youkon's for the chili get together.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

petefrom bearswamp

Thanks for the link
When I bought my Bridgewood planer the name was Wilke Machinery Inc.
It was also in York.
No sign of any Bridgewood stuff on the C H Wilke site
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

Kbeitz

I worked there. Grizzlys is closed in Pa. The few car you seen in the lot is the 8 people
that are still there is people up stares on the phones for sells. They wont be there for long.
Got this E-mail from my buddy thats still there...

Still putting up with Grizzly, 8 of us left, including two supervisors... im working  on going back to real estate, so i have one foot out the door at least!!  I do expect to be out of there soon! 

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

petefrom bearswamp

I wonder if Grizz and Bridgewood are the victim of too much good used machinery out there.
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

low_48

I have quite the Grizzly story. I bought an 18" bandsaw that would shake everything off the table as it ran. Found out the bottom wheel was cast so poorly, half of it was machined on the front face, half was raw casting. They drilled one side full of balancing holes, riveted on steel plates on the other side in an attempt to balance it. I went through several parts orders and a couple of weeks to rebuild the bottom end. Then found out the top wheel wasn't much better. I sent it back and they refunded the money. I made a pretty big deal about it on a woodworking forum since that machine should have never been shipped in the first place. Others had similar troubles, so I would retell the story. Sometimes people would ask about Grizzly quality in general, so I would tell the story. I was banned for 6 months from the forum for being unfriendly. About a year latter, the wife orders a guitar pickup from Amazon. She gets an email from Grizzly, turns out they are the seller. The email tells her that they will not sell anything to our family. Easy to buy from somewhere else, but first time that has ever happened to me! I've always wondered how many times you can retell a story before it gets old, turns out I got the answer.

Den Socling

I have 15 or 20 Grizzly machines. All work well for us. They always offered low priced junk and higher priced good stuff. You get what you pay for.

low_48

The machine I bought was a G0514X2, a $1625 bandsaw. Didn't anticipate that would be a junk machine based on that cost. I've also owned, or purchased for day job, several of their machines. I don't presently own any, nor will I in the future.

Left Coast Chris

I have had the opposite experience with Grizzly.  My 8" spiral head jointer is excellent, my old garage sale grizzly 15" planer has been excellent and my 14" bandsaw has been above average.  The one great thing is their parts and costumer service both excellent.  Can't say that for my 18" Delta Industrial Band Saw.  Parts are discontinued, can't seem to find help.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Den Socling

Sounds like you got a lemon, low_48. Our machines are mid-range but don't get used commercially. I did replace a Chinese motor on our 15" planer a couple times. Switched to an American motor and I haven't had a problem since.

Thank You Sponsors!