iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cords of firewood per log

Started by AnthonyW, April 19, 2016, 02:52:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnthonyW

Does anyone have a calculation for the number of cords (or part of a cord) of wood in a log?

Is it as simple as a log 18' long 30" (2.5ft) diameter is 88 cu ft, so 88/128= 0.6875 cords? or is there a fudge factor?
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

DDW_OR

"let the machines do the work"

jdonovan

Quote from: AnthonyW on April 19, 2016, 02:52:23 PM
Is it as simple as a log 18' long 30" (2.5ft) diameter is 88 cu ft, so 88/128= 0.6875 cords? or is there a fudge factor?

if you sell firewood as tight as a tree grows it, I want to buy your cords next winter.  :D

I would estimate 10-15% air space in neatly stacked wood pile. I think there is a north east state that codified 150 cu-ft for loosely thrown wood i.e in a dump truck.

AnthonyW

There is a place that sells firewood and has a huge maple in the pile. I'm trying to estimate what it might take to 'acquire' the log to put on the mill.

r.man

I have been counting logs in firewood loads that should have at least 6 bush cords in them. Four loads, different trucks, different loggers and all four had approximately 60 logs each. This number is mostly useless other than an estimate but I use it to get a rough idea of how far along I am in cutting the load. One large log is probably two average logs in volume so I make that to be a bit over half a face of wood, six tenths to be more accurate, which is funny considering all of this is a guess/estimate/shot in the dark.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Al_Smith

They kick it around so to speak .It's been said the average cord of 128 cubic feet is around 80 of wood and the rest air .

Then you have tight cords being a mouse can wiggle through ,followed by a medium of which a cat can chase a  mouse through then the loose where a dog can chase a cat chasing a mouse.It's never been specified what size of dog obviously not a St Bernard .

r.man

I think the stacking for good drying rule says a mouse should be able to run through but not the cat that is chasing it.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

AnthonyW

According to NH by the Dept of Agriculture Division of weights and measures, a cord of firewood is defined as 128 cubic feet of split wood smartly stacked and must be sold as whole or portion of a cord (such as 1/2 cord or 1/3 cord). Terms such as "face cord", "stack", "pile" are not legal measures and not admissible to the division of weights and measures or in court.

Al_Smith

Cord or not it still gets sold by the pick up load,dump truck load etc.

AnthonyW

Quote from: Al_Smith on April 22, 2016, 05:24:06 AM
Cord or not it still gets sold by the pick up load,dump truck load etc.

It gets delivered by pick up truck load, but had better be measured by the cord. In NH, if you were buying 1/3 cord, your receipt had better say "1/3 cord" and not "1 load" or "1 face cord". If you file a complaint for being shorted and the unit of measure on the receipt is not "cord" then don't bother filing. The FAQ for completing the form actual says any complaint file where the receipt does not list the number of cords expected will be denied.

John Mc

Quote from: DDW_OR on April 19, 2016, 05:09:01 PM
Estimating Firewood from Standing Trees
http://ucanr.edu/sites/placernevadasmallfarms/files/76320.pdf

The table in that link is very helpful. I use it a lot when marking trees to cut for firewood. I've found it to be a decent estimate when cutting firewood in our area. I've been told things vary a bit in other parts of the country.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

AnthonyW

Quote from: John Mc on April 22, 2016, 11:17:25 AM
Quote from: DDW_OR on April 19, 2016, 05:09:01 PM
Estimating Firewood from Standing Trees
http://ucanr.edu/sites/placernevadasmallfarms/files/76320.pdf

The table in that link is very helpful. I use it a lot when marking trees to cut for firewood. I've found it to be a decent estimate when cutting firewood in our area. I've been told things vary a bit in other parts of the country.

Cool table. Even cooler that it is from UNH cooperative extension. But it is based on turning the entire tree into firewood. I will only have the one 16ft piece.

svart ole

If you are going to saw it into lumber and want to know the value of the log you may want to use one of the links below.

It will give you board feet and that way it will give you a idea of what it is worth to you as a saw log. If you want to get nit picky you can use the USFS guide. (second link) That will take you deeper than you may want to go and compute deducts for defects.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=toolbox The original Wood Calculators<<<<  

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj0vp6a1aLMAhXBuoMKHbFMCQcQFggcMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fs.fed.us%2Fim%2Fdirectives%2Ffsh%2F2409.11%2F2409.11-NF%2520LOGSCALING%2520HDBK.pdf&usg=AFQjCNErjOzkZKfE1fmuffgwAsVhkngj6g&bvm=bv.119745492,d.amc

My wife said I collect junk, I told her I am a amateur industrial archaeologist just trying to save valuable artifacts.

John Mc

I think I'd just be inclined to ask them what they wanted for it. Most of the value of the firewood is in the processing, not in the tree itself. They've already done some of that by getting the tree down and out of the forest.

Around here, you can get a load of log-length firewood logs for $100/cord or less (price per cord for 7-10 cords delivered, if you are fairly close to the guy). He has already "delivered" it to himself.

I might start by calculating the volume of the log (Pi x radius squared x length) and divide by 0.75 (the .75 is just a guess at 25% airspace in stacked firewood). That would give you an estimate of how many cords are in it. In my area, he might get $100 per cord if he delivered it in 8 foot lengths, or he can get $250+/cord delivered for green firewood (guys with a reputation for good firewood can get $350 or more for seasoned), but he has work to put into it to get that. If it's not too much hassle to dig ut out and load you up, I'd think he'd be happy with anything that beat his log-length firewood price.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

AnthonyW

Quote from: John Mc on April 22, 2016, 01:10:59 PM
I think I'd just be inclined to ask them what they wanted for it. Most of the value of the firewood is in the processing, not in the tree itself. They've already done some of that by getting the tree down and out of the forest.

Around here, you can get a load of log-length firewood logs for $100/cord or less (price per cord for 7-10 cords delivered, if you are fairly close to the guy). He has already "delivered" it to himself.

I might start by calculating the volume of the log (Pi x radius squared x length) and divide by 0.75 (the .75 is just a guess at 25% airspace in stacked firewood). That would give you an estimate of how many cords are in it. In my area, he might get $100 per cord if he delivered it in 8 foot lengths, or he can get $250+/cord delivered for green firewood (guys with a reputation for good firewood can get $350 or more for seasoned), but he has work to put into it to get that. If it's not too much hassle to dig ut out and load you up, I'd think he'd be happy with anything that beat his log-length firewood price.

I would love to get a 10 cord tri-axle truck of log length firewood for less than $100/cord. They are pushing $1500 for a truck load around here.

I figure the value is somewhere between what he paid for it and what he will sell it for as firewood. The value is definitely not measured in the board feet of lumber it will produce or I could (but won't be) selling it for.

John Mc

Quote from: AnthonyW on April 22, 2016, 07:27:18 PM
I would love to get a 10 cord tri-axle truck of log length firewood for less than $100/cord. They are pushing $1500 for a truck load around here.

My pricing could be a bit dated. It's been a bit since I checked.

Al_Smith

I have no idea how they sell firewood in NH,maybe they have a firewood police force for all I know . :D

I would venture to say however in Ohio,Pa,Indiana,Iowa,Mich,Tenn and KY it's a cash business for the most part. Receipts are non existant  nor for that matter would there  be law suits .

FWIW in case you didn't know a 3/4 ton pick with a standard 8 foot bed stacked one round above the side rails is exactly one half of a cord . A ranger sized little truck with a 6 1/2 foot bed is one face cord commonly called a rick and is 1/3 of a cord .It won't vary very much .

What few who sell larger quantities in these parts know exactly how much their old dump or grain trucks will hold .Usually tree trimmers or small mills .

This is not my first rodeo,I sold the stuff for 8 or 9 years from mid 70's to mid 80's . 8)

CTYank

Then there's a shrinkage factor of typically ~12% to be tossed in for dimensional changes of green wood on thorough air-drying. Not that anyone would short a buyer, letting him pay extra for water.   ::)

Never been known to burn green wood myself. Ever.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

Thank You Sponsors!