iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Theft

Started by Corley5, April 18, 2016, 01:25:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

http://www.9and10news.com/story/31751818/three-northern-michigan-men-arrested-for-stealing-sugar-maple-logs

The pics in the above article were taken on the snowmobile trail not more than a couple hundred feet beyond my landing.  I'd cut marked timber around this tree just a few weeks prior to this. 
  I was plowing the trail early that afternoon after six inches of snow from the night before and thought something looked odd when I came around the corner.  I realized it was a tree across the trail and thought that the wind hadn't been that bad in the storm.  I got up to it and realized what had went on and picked up the plow and headed out to call the DNR forester in charge of my sale.  I'd been told before this that there were on going timber thefts in the area. 
  They were really close to getting them at the time of this theft.  I wonder if I'll recognize any names  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Corley5

Corley5

One year misdemeanors to five year felonies  8) 

WmFritz

I'm glad they got caught.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

barbender

There were some guys that got nailed up here a few years back for timber theft. They threw the book at them to make an example, served them right.
Too many irons in the fire

coxy

jeepers they left 2ft of the best wood at the stump makes us all look bad

edkemper

I don't really understand the log business. But I recently learned that if I have a trailer of logs, driving down the road here in Oregon, I am likely to be stopped. If they are not off my place, they had better have the stamp on the end and I better have a tag or receipt from the logger. A stamp on the end that identifies the logger.

How are they selling these logs to the mill? Or isn't this sort of thing universal?
Old Man

Corley5

As far as I'm concerned the buyers of these logs are just as much to blame.  A couple guys bring in one log on a snowmobile trailer and no one is suspicious or asking questions?  What about chain of custody in the SFI program?  If they couldn't have sold them they wouldn't have continued cutting them. 

OH logger

just what the logging industry needs; another black eye :( >:(
john

thecfarm

Probably the buyers was buying a $300 log for $50.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WmFritz

Corley your right... the mills are aiding the thiefs. Not much different then scrapyards excepting copper from scumbags stealing it from homes.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Thank You Sponsors!