iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How many wear dust masks?

Started by Brad_S., October 27, 2004, 09:38:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_S.

After almost two weeks of every job seemingly down wind of the sawdust chute, I've inhaled enough dust that I'm seriously starting to worry about my health. Multiply this by the number of years I've been doing this plus the number I have to go, and I bet this nonsmoker will catch up to a lifetime smoker health wise.  :(
Tried dust masks, and I can stand them if it's below 55 degrees, but any warmer and it's just too hot. Those cheapo masks don't seem to help much anyhow and the more expensive ones barely last a day. When I get to a job site, I rarely have an option on where to set up as the logs are already decked.

What do the rest of you do? Especially you southerners with the heat?
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

TN_man

Brad,
I can't offer you any suggestions in that most of the cutting I do is in a three-sided building and I bring most of the logs to my site. But in regards to your comment about the dust masks not helping much, this is true. I work in the nuclear field and have had to wear a respirator more than I care to, and those masks have a protection factor of 0. The only thing they are good for is to keep the dentist from breathing his bad breath in your face when he is bent over you. :D That is not to say that they don't catch the big stuff, but that would not make it down into your lungs anyways. It is the fine stuff that makes it that far. :-[I am relaying to you only what I have been taught, that these masks only give people a false sense of security and may only add to a fatigue factor.
Just my two cents worth, Jeff
WM LT-20 solar-kiln Case 885 4x4 w/ front end loader  80 acre farm  little time or money

Ianab

A link with info on what the sawdust actually does to your lungs...
 http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec04/ch051/ch051b.html

Interesting thats it's actually an allergic reaction to certain types of dust. Most people are not affected, but some develop an allergic reaction after repeated exposure. The damage doesn't seem permanant unless you really keep exposing yourself after the allergic reaction occurs. And if you are unfortunate enough to be allergic it will flare up again next time you are exposed  :(

Fortunately the swingblade throws large chips, very little breathable dust. I dont think there is a medical name for woodchips down the back of the neck  :D
I do notice the dust when working with wood in the shed, sanding and planing etc. My occasional exposure hasn't caused any problems yet, but a decent dust collector is on the wish list  ::)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Gilman

Ian,
I think the only cure for inhaling chips is called the Heimlich maneuver.  :D
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Paschale

Here's an interesting article about new trends in repirators.

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/w00149.asp

The one made by trend seems interesting to me, though I think you might feel a bit like Darth Vader wearing one of those things.  I get really concerned about that stuff since I'm a trombone player for my trade, and I can't afford to let woodworking effect my ability to breathe.  I get really pretty anal about using some sort of dust protection.  I use one of those respirators with the filters jobs on 'em, though I'm not convinced they work all that well.
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Percy

I have been breathing WRC dust for waaaayy too long. Im starting with the allergy thing, major sneezing and snotts up the  wazzooo. Im lucky. I seen one guy react with hives or somthin, looked like he was too close to a nuclear reactor for a few too many hours. Its not somthin to mess with. Im lookin at the link Paschale posted with interest.
Thanks.
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

dewwood

I wear a hard hat with hearing protection(also keeps dust out of ears) and a solid face shield.  It does not stop the dust completely but helps a lot and it also protects eyes from flying chunks of bark.  It is a little warm in summer but not so much that I can't take it.
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

Buzz-sawyer

Early in my career I did some asbestos related remediation, we used type 3 air some times ,,,,,,,,
 it actually is cooling to you.
A face mask with slightly pressurized air comming into you to breath.....it was FAR better than a respirator....I looked forward to it!!!! ;) :D
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Thank You Sponsors!