iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blade Tension Climbing

Started by ncsawyer, April 17, 2016, 09:12:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ncsawyer

I was cutting SYP over the weekend and things were going very well.  As it warmed up from about 40 degrees that AM to about 75 that afternoon, I kept bumping the blade tension down as the hydraulic fluid warmed with the ambient temp.

Then all of the sudden as I entered a cut I watched the tension raise 500lbs over the 12ft cut.  I backed it off and made another cut and the same thing happened.  I knew I was getting sawdust under the band wheel belts...but why. 

There was sawdust exiting the sawdust chute, and I looked into housing where the blade exits the cut and carries the sawdust away and it was very clear, I could see all the way out of the sawdust chute. 

I started removing blade covers.  Idle side was clean, top cover was clean, drive side cover was clean...except for a small piece of bark right under the blade that was catching sawdust and diverting it.  It was getting caught under the drive wheel belt. Removed the bark and problem solved. 
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

valley ranch

Seeing the bark and knowing what the story was~this reminds me of a story told me by uncle Joe.

Picture this 1919, grape ranch in Yettem, California. Uncle Joe a young man at the time, looked in the sulfur room, there was a man lying on the ground his hat in the clamps that would have held the tray or grapes to pull them onto the drying rack. Uncle said: " I knew right away what happened". I answered: "No kidding?"

Glad you found the problem and glad you told us about it. thanks.

Richard

Thank You Sponsors!