iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

another whatzit.

Started by moosehunter, April 17, 2016, 05:35:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moosehunter

I am sure some of you will recognize this right off. It is my first one. 

"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

WV Sawmiller

MH,

I'd guess it is a ceramic electric fence insulator.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

First it is an ouch, and second a miracle that you got through it.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dave Shepard

Must have snapped from the impact, because I don't think you can cut one without diamonds.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Kbeitz

That stuff is so hard that they use it for sand blast nozzles.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Chuck White

I agree, it's an electric fence insulator, but I think it's one of the newer "plastic" ones.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Cazzhrdwd

Quote from: Magicman on April 17, 2016, 05:51:11 PM
First it is an ouch, and second a miracle that you got through it.   :o

Yeah those and large bolts are about the only things that will totally destroy a blade. Oh and drywall screws, man those things are made with very hard metal.
96 Woodmizer LT40Super  Woodmizer 5 head moulder

Kbeitz

Dont forget the file someone cut in half...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

ncsawyer

I tend to agree with Chuck...it looks plastic.  I've hit porcelain ones before and have never cut through one.  In the picture I had a hard time determining which was the entry side and which was the exit side. There didn't seem to be much difference in the way the wood was cut on either side of the insulator.
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

moosehunter

It may be plastic,  I heard the hit but it did not slow down the blade. I finished sawing that log and one more with that blade before calling it a day.

Chuck White

I'm thinking what you heard was most likely the nail that was used to nail the insulator to the tree!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

never finished

You may find the wire if you rip the board.

slider

I recognized it right away.It is ceramic i bet.I found those in my 100 year old farm house that i restored.It is where the un-insulated wire passes through the wall.No wonder so many burnt down over the years.
al glenn

Chuck White

Not to start an argument, just trying to make a point.

You might be right Slider, but I just don't think there is a bandsaw blade out there that will cut all the way through a ceramic insulator, so I still suggest it's plastic!

Ok Moosehunter, let us know.

Can you cut a corner off with your knife?   If so, it's plastic!

slider

Not offended Chuck,you are correct about the hardness of insulators.Ask me how i know ?
al glenn

sandhills

Not trying to add to a question but at first I agreed to Chuck's guess, then looked at the picture again and now not so sure.  It really chipped off on the bottom half, now my disclaimer is I've never owned or ran a bandsaw mill, but I would like to know which it was, kind of "enquiring minds want to know" sort of thing I guess  ::).

moosehunter

I am going back to that job site on the 30th,  I will check then.

Weekend_Sawyer

... and the wait begins. :D

I'm going to vote plastic just to have a say in this one.  ;D
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Chuck White

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on April 19, 2016, 12:54:04 PM
... and the wait begins. :D

I'm going to vote plastic just to have a say in this one.  ;D

OK, that's where I'd put my money if I had to!   ;D

sandhills

The 30th!?!? Man, that's cruel and unusual punishment!  :D :D :D :D

petefrom bearswamp

The only ceramic one I hit caused the blade to dive about 45 degrees and i got the carriage stopped but the blade was toast.
The customer understood that the blade was now his.
This goes for all my tramp hits on customers logs. as Im sure goes for all of you guys too.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Chuck White

I usually place the value of a toasted blade by how many times it has been sharpened prior to the hit!

If the blade has been sharpened 5 or 6 times, I just feel it's not fair to charge the customer the full price of the blade!

sandsawmill14

i dont charge anything for blade damage but i will put a log in the fire if it has much in it >:(  if the owner doesnt like that then i tell them its $20 from here on on that log ;D so far i havent had a customer yet that said keep sawing :)   and that does look like ceramic to me but i agree i have never had a blade make it all the way through one  ::)  waiting for the answer ??? but i dont know about patiently  :-\ :D :D :D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

slider

I am in Chuck's camp on band charges but these things just happen on and older band.It's the new band that finds the junk.
al glenn

Dave Shepard

I've never seen even a scratch on a ceramic insulator. If it is ceramic, then I think it cracked from the impact, but was not cut.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Banjo picker

All I will say is moosehunter is not a lawyer
because they don't a question they dont know the answer to.  :)  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Thank You Sponsors!