Thank you Bluecreeper!

Started by Jeff, April 17, 2016, 09:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

So, last fall, I put my lawn tractor up for the winter after using it to mulch and pick up leaves as I always do. A couple days after putting it up, I was asked by an un-named person if they could borrow it to pick up leaves where they were living. I said okay.  Well, this un-named person proceed to drive directly over top of a carpet of leaves several inches deep. The leaves quickly overwhelmed the bagging system, then filled up and packed under the mower deck, and the person kept on going. He kept on going until the mower back-fired and stopped.   He called me down and I cleaned all of the leaves out of it, and then tried to start it. It seemed to be dead. Just a click, would not roll over.

I went home and got a hot car battery I kept in the barn and a set of jumper cables.  No luck. CLICK.  I told him I didn't know what was wrong, so put it in neutral, and towed it down the street and home, and put it away for the winter.

Fast forward to this spring.
Thinking it was just the battery, I charged it up and tried to start it yesterday.  CLICK. I got under it and found that there was nothing jammed in the belts, and the belts were loose. I tried to turn the motor over. OH CRAP.  He had seized the engine. It was locked up tight. I tried to turn the engine over via the crank nut and a large ratchet and it would not budge. Of course I spent last night thinking the worst. Every extra cent I have right now has went into trying to get my pole barn up, so how was I going to replace this mower?  After thinking about it all night, I devised a plan.  I got up this morning and pulled the plug on the 21hp briggs.  I then proceeded to squeeze Bluecreeper into the cylinder. I let it set for a couple minutes, and then got back under the mower with a ratchet on the nut on the crank and tried to turn it again. Was that movement?  Y$S!  I worked it a little more and got the engine to turn! I tried the key and it rolled over slowly. I then squirted in a little more Bluecreeper and tried the key again and the engine took off ans spun like there was nothing wrong.  I put the plug back in it, and it fired right up!

I shut the engine off and now am waiting for the parts place to open so I can put a fresh filter and oil in it before I even try to run it. I have some other things to fix yet that I found.  It had packed leaves in it do tight it had also broke off the steel bent rod that the deck drive belt passes though to keep it from rubbing on the deck. Snapped right off at the bolt hole.

So, from absolute despair last night, to high optimism today, thanks to Bluecreeper!

www.bluecreeper.com
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ox

That's great news!  In my experience, engines that have done this (seized and able to break loose again) will run again as if nothing happened.  However, my engines seem to not be able to take a heavy work load as they did previous to the seize.  These are a 3.5 hp Briggs and a 6 hp Tecumseh on push mowers.  Around half power capacity is all they can handle anymore.  Any extended time above this half load makes them slow down and start to seize again.  I can feel it in the pull start rope after they die.  Maybe this little tidbit will help you, maybe not.  Hopefully all will be OK for you, your Briggs will not care about anything and life will carry on as normal!
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Tam-i-am

Great post Jeff!  At first I thought the un-named related person was some how going to be me as everything always seems to be my fault ;D

So I was super-excited to find out not only was it not my fault but that in a way I saved the day! :D
Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

Magicman

I'm glad that you got it going and I'll bet that the "un-named person" doesn't get to borrow the mower ever again.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

barbender

I hate borrowing things out, and this story illustrates why. I'm glad you got it running again, Jeff.
Too many irons in the fire

Gearbox

Hey barbender can i borrow your mill I will keep till I break it then I will not return it you will have to come get it . Then find its broken . Thats what hapens at my house and it's my kids .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

trapper

That is why I will not loan equipment.  I will till your garden or cut the wood for you but will not loan you my tiller or chainsaw. 
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

barbender

Quote from: Gearbox on April 17, 2016, 09:30:06 PM
Hey barbender can i borrow your mill I will keep till I break it then I will not return it you will have to come get it . Then find its broken . Thats what hapens at my house and it's my kids .

Haha! Many years ago my dad told me he thought I got some kind of "sick pleasure out of breaking his stuff" :D  I really can't seem to touch anything of his (he is VERY meticulous, and keeps everything nice and shiny. He has a '92 Dodge Cummins that has 60,000 miles on it, near showroom condition. One of those guys  ;D) without breaking something. So I have learned to not touch or use anything of his, this has really helped to improve our relationship ;D

Jeff

Barbender, maybe I can get you to have a chat with the aforementioned un-named person. ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

barbender

Quote from: Jeff on April 18, 2016, 01:10:56 PM
Barbender, maybe I can get you to have a chat with the aforementioned un-named person. ;)

Hahaha Jeff! Well, you could ask him if he gets sick pleasure out of breaking you're stuff. That's what finally got me ;D